Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 5:50:31 PM EDT
I want to send my step son, who is in the Marines a knife before he deploys to Afghanistan. Is there any special protocol to follow to send it to him?  He is in the 2nd btn 5th Marines at Camp Pendleton.
I would hate to send it to him only to have it confiscated by the postal service.

Please don't put this in GD, those folks are mean.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The postal service would not take it.
Having in the barracks may be something else.
Also don't know if they will let him take it over there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
IF you want to send him something there is nothing better IMHO than the Ka-Bar...it will fit in and is a great blade.  Different units have different policies on what the Marines can carry etc.  but a Ka-Bar is generally no problem....worst case is he has to check it in the Armory for storage.  Course if he has trouble bringing it back from the 'stan then you want to be friends with the Armory.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I wasn't sure if they were allowed to have non issued equipment, and thought a nice heavy bladed knife would come in handy. He is a lance corporal, and I think he shares a room with one or two other Marines, and not in an open barracks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The postal service would not take it.
Having in the barracks may be something else.
Also don't know if they will let him take it over there.

Depends on the length of the knife.I can't remember what the regs are on length.OP just ask your son,he will know the regulation on it.

Edit:Sounds like he is still in the barracks.He can not have a knife over 3" long.That's what the Army regs state anyway.Maybe the Marine Corp is different.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IF you want to send him something there is nothing better IMHO than the Ka-Bar...it will fit in and is a great blade.  Different units have different policies on what the Marines can carry etc.  but a Ka-Bar is generally no problem....worst case is he has to check it in the Armory for storage.  Course if he has trouble bringing it back from the 'stan then you want to be friends with the Armory.....

I have my knife from the '70's, kind of retro , but I bought him a Buck nighthawk, as the blade is very stout, and I think would be a better pry/dig tool than the Camillus I have.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Send it to him.  Unless it's some crazy looking, Rambo XX fantasy knife, nobody is going to care.  USPS is just fine to ship it to him, and will NOT confiscate it.  As always though, it doesn't pay to advertise.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top