Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 8:37:43 PM EDT
I was hoping this was the right place to post this.

Does anyone have any pictures of bolt carrier/s from early (side gas tube) AR-10s, like the one Gene Stoner is firing/disassembling in that AR-10 marketing video from Armalite?

I've never seen inside one of those uppers, so I was curious as to what these bcg's used for a gas key.

Thanks,

David
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You may try sending an IM to member HHollow, he seems to know quite a bit about early AR10s.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:17:33 AM EDT
[#2]
How about the *Dutch site* ?

What is up with the Dutch site.  This is the first time I noticed we have no sticky thread with a link.  Am I missing something?

http://www.ar10.nl/
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Seems to be down indefinitely.

Anyway, these early carriers used no gas key at all. There was a cut out on the left front side of the carrier that channeled the gas alongside the bolt and into the into the... cavity/expansion chamber/whatever it's called... behind the bolt. There was a block pined to the top to give the charging handle something to grab onto.

There probably aren't very many pictures outside of "The Black Rifle" and any of the very few originals that aren't owned by Knight are... who knows where.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How about the *Dutch site* ?

What is up with the Dutch site.  This is the first time I noticed we have no sticky thread with a link.  Am I missing something?

http://www.ar10.nl/

The site was "deactivated" for some BS Dutch legal reason, but if you start with Page 2, most of the info is (thankfully) still there.  Would love to be able to capture that whole site for posterity's sake, but there's more info there than I can back up.

Anyway, start here: Page 2.  (Scroll down for clickable photos.)  I'm note sure if there's much there on the prototypes, though.  There are photos of various bolts, but I'm not sure they'll help the OP.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, OlGunner! I really like that site.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I got nothing.  Over the last year I have emailed back and forth with two owners of Hollywood AR10's in their stable.  The unfriendly one would not be inclined to share anything beyong the time of day.  The friendly one happends to be missing his bolt carrier.  Find a Hollywood bolt-carrier and you have a friend for life.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks, OlGunner! I really like that site.

Yes, thanks.  Maybe I'll be able to find the right bookmark next time someone asks.  

That's the *welcome page* I remember!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:24:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for your help!

I scoured the Dutch site, but I couldn't find any pics of a "Hollywood" AR10.

The closest I've gotten to seeing one is that Armalite marketing video.

On an unrelated note, was the flash hider from the "Hollywood" AR10 prototypes really a "moderator"?

Also the angled cut on the face of the bolt carrier in the picture below almost makes it appear to be non-functional:

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
There are a few pictures of the innards in "The Black Rifle". Barely enough to get a grasp of how they might work though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There are a few pictures of the innards in "The Black Rifle". Barely enough to get a grasp of how they might work though.

I can't believe that I don't already own this book...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
It's a great buy. Picked mine up on Amazon a few weeks ago and I do not regret it.

Unfortunately, there's no picture of that side of the bolt carrier. I just looked.

The video really is the best view of the entire carrier.

It'd be nice if the guy who owns at least 20 of them along with all of the AR prototypes would release a book with detailed pictures and information.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It'd be nice if the guy who owns at least 20 of them along with all of the AR prototypes would release a book with detailed pictures and information.

Seriously.

Considering C. Reed Knight II prides himself on his collection, his knowledge of Gene/Gene's legacy, and the fact that KAC had a job req for a photog a while back, I bet he's got something in the works.

We would all buy such a book...imagine the detailed photos of just the prototype AR-10s & AR-15s alone...the ultimate coffee table book for guys.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:31:21 AM EDT
[#13]
The bolt carrier is slotted to directly receive the gas charge from the side port in the receiver, there is no gas key there is only a stud on the top of the carrier behind the pivot pin that the charging handle engages to rack the carrier open. The ar10 infomercial shows it clearly (or as clear as the video will allow) near the begining on the yellow background screen where a pointer displays it.

HTH
AI AR10-Dan in Ga
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top