Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I noticed that the seller also has what he claims is a GM/Hydramatic complete BGC w/Flathead firing pin.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
That seller does NOT claim anything,.He is an EXTREMELY knowledgable person and a HIGHLY respected member here on arfcom.If he says it's so,it's based off heavy research.I HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIM anytime,anywhere,to everyone!
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought an early bend gas tube from him.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
if you read that sellers feedback you will find that most of us here have purchased something from him, and been very happy with both the item and the price paid
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Like they said.  Super guy.  He has gone out of his way to make me happy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Well not knowing him and not knowing as much as the rest of you it is still a claim, it's not a slur of any type towards him or his products.
While I know that all you see is the words on the page and not the intent, it was not my intent to say anything derogatory it was a simple statement of fact that he has another auction that claims to be what I said.

It was an informational comment. DID I MISSTATE what I said? or did you all jump to a conclusion based on your own preconceived notions?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well not knowing him and not knowing as much as the rest of you it is still a claim, it's not a slur of any type towards him or his products.
While I know that all you see is the words on the page and not the intent, it was not my intent to say anything derogatory it was a simple statement of fact that he has another auction that claims to be what I said.

It was an informational comment. DID I MISSTATE what I said? or did you all jump to a conclusion based on your own preconceived notions?

all I said was everybody who did a purchase from him was happy, including me...no offense was taken and I hope none given  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
So one can assume this is a "trust me" part?    Nothing distinguishing about it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
BTW Torque,,the GM auction does NOT have the flathead FP,his XM16E1 set does.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Seller never claimed to have a GM BCG with a flat head firing pin. Your confusing the GM auction with the Colt XM16E1 auction.    Go back and look at the two auctions.
Check out willyp sight for info on GM BCGs.
willyp

Now drop and give me twenty.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#11]
To add to my original response,NO Torque,you made NO derogatory statement at all.I wanted to press the issue to ALL who have never dealt with him that he is totally and completely a man to deal with in confidence.He knows his stuff,and as said above,most of us have bought from him.He makes no casual claims on anything.His descriptions are written based on researched facts,not hearsay or based on 1 or 2 observations.He does his homework.I certainly did not mean for my reply to look like an attack on you or anyone,,sorry if it came across that way. this was a "deal with confidence" reply,that's all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#12]
So... what makes a flathead firing pin so special? If they're that great why aren't they still made or is just a retro TO THE T kinda thing?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So one can assume this is a "trust me" part?    Nothing distinguishing about it?

What exactly do you mean,a trust me part?? The original FAT head firing pins were heavy and it was discovered they could and would cause slam fires and such.FAT head pins were then modified to the " improved" pin.The modifying left the head smaller and FLAT.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So... what makes a flathead firing pin so special? If they're that great why aren't they still made or is just a retro TO THE T kinda thing?

It was an improvement over the FAT head pin,,other then that,it's just a "TO THE T" thing as you called it!
Oh,and ETA,if you look at the modern pins,they are similar in size and shape to the FLAT head.Remember now,the FLAT head was a modified FAT headAs in they took the fat ones and milled them down.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm trying to distinguish that pin with one DPMS sent me a week ago.   I can't see the difference.  My DPMS pin is flat and has machine marks on the top just like that one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm trying to distinguish that pin with one DPMS sent me a week ago.   I can't see the difference.

Modern ones have a convex (or is it concave) head (kinda domed),the modified flathead is almost perfectly flat.I never weighed them but was told once that the modern ones are a tad lighter.Not gospel truth on that,but it was mentioned to me in the past.Guess I should pull some out and weigh

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, I have domed ones.  The pin DPMS sent me is very flat and looks just like that one.  I'd be curious about the weight.  My DPMS pin weighs 121.9 grains.  I weighed a domed pin and it was 124.4 grains.  I also weighed a pin that I bought with a 601 carrier which is flat but doesn't have machine marks like the DPMS pin.  It weighs 124.3 grains.  That pin is really smooth on top but has a circle indentation around the edge.

Well, I'm looking at the GB pin and I can't really tell what the machining looks like.  The picture isn't clear enough.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 2:06:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Now drop and give me twenty

You have got to be kidding! I've been flat on my back most of the last 10 day's with my lower back/bulging discs flaring up.
I spend most of my time on a heating pad, ice pack or tens unit trying to get some relief, even the trips to the chiropractor haven't gotten me out of pain yet.

I'm seriously considering taking up some of the kid's I know on an offer to "go burn one" with them to see if that will help....

Btw, Thank you to everyone who has helped me learn something new in this thread, that means ALL of you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's a picture of that DMPS flat head pin.  These parts are all new DPMS.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4316/dscf0118p.jpg
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#20]
The one shown in picture above has rounded edge still. The flat head would be much more square as stated above! The firing pin differences are very easy to see once you have seen all three in person.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I have all three.  That head looks exactly like my Colt pin.  There is one difference though.  The lower flange is a smaller diameter.

In any case, it's a nice little semi-repro part.  It's definitely not a domed head.

Looks good in my "inspired by" build.  All brand new parts except for the stock.

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/4149/dscf0115o.jpg

Armalite lowers mate up very well with the Fulton Armory A1 upper.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8255/dscf0117a.jpg
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Here is all 3 versions the 2 older ones direct from demilled M16 carrier groups.Note the flat head one,the shoulder is much different then modern ones.It basically retains the diameter of the fat head,but the height (thickness) is much thinner:

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:28:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here's a picture of that DMPS flat head pin.  These parts are all new DPMS.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4316/dscf0118p.jpg

Far as I'm concerned, that's pretty close to the real deal.  Nice substitute, at least, for something that's hard to find in vintage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Is this a bad time to mention that the newest pin's rounded edge would be less likely to dig into the hammer face as the bolt carrier began its rearward travel, making the newest firing pin the best one, from a functional standpoint?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Gah! It's not about functionality! It's about knowing that your replica is as close to the original as possible, even down to small parts, deep in the middle of the gun, which no sane person would ever notice unless you allowed them to disassemble it, or more likely, disassembled it in front of them to SHOW them that you have the smallest detail correct!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:40:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Just found one of these in my parts box. Switched out the standard FP (new style) in my XM16E1 for it.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top