Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2010 11:26:15 AM EDT
Hi guys,

I spent some spare time making a 25 round magazine by using two 20 round mags.  This will be for my prototype rifle that I am working on.  Take a look at the pics; it's pretty ugly, but so was the original.  I'm pretty happy with how it came out.  The picture at the bottom is an original (for reference).  The waffle mag pictured is from NoDak Spud; I'm using it to show the size comparison.

John Thomas

Link Posted: 7/9/2010 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweeeet man!

Is there any chance we'll see these mass produced for sale?
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I would very much like on of these.
Dustin
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Mr. Knight just called.  He'd like his mag back.  

Freakin' amazing man. How in the world...?
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 12:01:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't look ugly at all. That's damn awesome!
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 12:41:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome!
I'd love a green one just like that!
You're the master at reproducing "un-reproducable" items!!
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the compliments guys.  I apprecitate it.  As far as selling these, I'd have to think pretty hard about it.  It was very time consuming getting it all lined up just right, but that aside, I can't guarantee how well it will feed during actual use.  I plan to use a 30 round mag spring.

Believe it or not, I did it all with hand tools.  Nothing electric or pneumatic ever touched it.  There is no bondo or sealer in the seam... it's bonded from the inside and only paint was used to fill the hairline seam.   Let's just say I did not kick it out in an hour.

I'd consider doing a step-by-step tutorial with photos, but since I didn't document this one with pictures (I wasn't sure how it would come out), I'd either have to buy a couple of mags and make another one, or maybe solicit a couple of mags and make one for someone (and document it with photos) and then ruturn it.

John Thomas
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
EVen one that doesn't work would be great to me.
I'd use it for display only.
I never use my Colt 20 round and NDS waffle magazines when I go shooting.
I always use my C-Product 30 round magazines.

Well, I did use my 10 round 7.62x39mm magazine on Monday.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm If you could get a jig made to speed it upyour looking at a nice yearly project.. Bench rest guys might want these too. Your looking at a niche market but with good marketing Im betting this could be more than just a hobby. I like straight mags more anyways when using a bipod so a few of these would be great!!!. I use my 20s more than my 30s
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the compliments guys.  I apprecitate it.  As far as selling these, I'd have to think pretty hard about it.  It was very time consuming getting it all lined up just right, but that aside, I can't guarantee how well it will feed during actual use.  I plan to use a 30 round mag spring.

Believe it or not, I did it all with hand tools.  Nothing electric or pneumatic ever touched it.  There is no bondo or sealer in the seam... it's bonded from the inside and only paint was used to fill the hairline seam.   Let's just say I did not kick it out in an hour.

I'd consider doing a step-by-step tutorial with photos, but since I didn't document this one with pictures (I wasn't sure how it would come out), I'd either have to buy a couple of mags and make another one, or maybe solicit a couple of mags and make one for someone (and document it with photos) and then ruturn it.

John Thomas

Looks outstanding!
If you're looking for a pair of mags to do the demo on, I'll gladly supply them!  I'd love to have the finished product and am interested to see how you managed this.
Drop me an IM or email if you're up for it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd like to see how you did it too!
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 3:46:17 PM EDT
[#11]
That looks great! A real inspiration.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/9/2010 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Mag Whore pron .
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 3:46:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Man thats just great! Well done.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 3:56:27 AM EDT
[#14]
beautiful work...definitely looking forward to the pics of how you did it
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Paging NDS...
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 5:51:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Paging NDS...

I'm sure they will jump right on it as soon as they sell the rest of their C7 uppers are sold that everyone was clamoring for...
Link Posted: 7/25/2010 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paging NDS...

I'm sure they will jump right on it as soon as they sell the rest of their C7 uppers are sold that everyone was clamoring for...

And the triangular Charging Handles....
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top