Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2010 7:57:02 AM EDT
80 % lowers scheduled for a 601 and 602. If you guys have been following,these are the same 2 shown in my winter wonderland pics with my ancient drill press.I asked Victor to match the color to the 2 very dark (almost black) triangle charging handles that are a perfect match to my 601 and 602 uppers.I think he nailed it!! These lowers were in the A2 configuration.I modified and completed them using said antique drill press,dremel tool with various bits and sanding drums,and alot of hand filing.Now before you guys hit me with"why did'nt you get them engraved?" well,in short,been outta work and $ is just too tight.They will get done at some point.  DO THE RETRO GODS APPROVE??????

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Approved.  They look great.  Finally the pay off for all that work.  Nice job!
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks great, M1!  You are really an artist.

As is Victor - can't wait to get my first back of parts back from him.  Also interested to see examples of his new other colors...
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#3]
That is tits!   Great work on both your parts! I know OlGunner was looking at having a 601 lower re-anodized the darker color. I'd like to do my KISS carbine in a bronze hue - what about these 'new colors' ? I'll have to check his site.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet, m1! Now when can we expect pictures of the finished rifles?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I definitely salute your work with hand tools!
I'm sure it's a sweet feeling having them back in finished condition.  What's the next step?  You got all your other parts gathered now?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Those look great! The finish is dead on!
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#7]
BTW hk45shooter - I love that avatar. I remember that pic - like to see it full-size again, but don't want to hijack this - what, if anything are you working on these days?
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well,I could,,but I found I had to chase all the pin holes and buffer tower threads due to anodizing buildup,and right now my jig set is on loan and I need the long # 42 bit to chase out the mag catch pin holes.Otherwise,they are already both assembled right now..Maybe later I'll go ahead and post pics anyway.
Gunner,,yes,ALL parts are here for both right down to the original 601 slings...

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Agreed! The finish is right on!

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well,I could,,but I found I had to chase all the pin holes and buffer tower threads due to anodizing buildup,and right now my jig set is on loan and I need the long # 42 bit to chase out the mag catch pin holes.Otherwise,they are already both assembled right now..Maybe later I'll go ahead and post pics anyway.
Gunner,,yes,ALL parts are here for both right down to the original 601 slings...

I can't wait! That "Easy as 1,2,3" thread you posted a while back got me all excited and anxious to see them finished.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
BTW hk45shooter - I love that avatar. I remember that pic - like to see it full-size again, but don't want to hijack this - what, if anything are you working on these days?

Thanks Morg308. I let my Team membership expire & when I re-upped I figured it was a good time to go with a retro themed avatar instead of the old Jeep avatar.

I am not really working on anything right now, I have 2 barrels away in 45Bravo's care (XM177E2 & 605) & am still holding out for a Colt barrel w/a cast FSB for my 602 build. I guess I have all the parts for a very early 604 build now, but I'd have to take inventory to be sure.

To not hijack this thread anymore than I already have, I'll start a new thread with the pic just for you & those that would want to see it full size. Well at least a resized version of the full, as I don't think I have the original anymore.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Very nice Rob!
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys,I'll post assembled pics when the sky clears,been crappy all day today.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks awesome, m1!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey, they look great.
I wish TacMac would get some lowers in stock so I could try my hand at an 80%er.

TexSquirrel (Temporarily WyomingSquirrel)

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
80 % lowers scheduled for a 601 and 602.

Can you tell us your source for the 80% lowers?  The ones I've found have "SAFE" and "FIRE" already engraved on both sides, which is a show stopper for me.

Thanks,
John Thomas

Link Posted: 4/17/2010 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Tactical Machine,,I used a ball peen hammer before milling out the fire control pocket.Tapped out the markings,filed and emory clothed
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Rob, how about a picture with the uppers set on the lowers? I'm interested in the color match.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Will do later today...Concentrating on yard cleanup ..........
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top