Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2009 3:28:23 PM EDT
Just FYI, on the left below is the lock ring I just got from Bushmaster and on the right is the one that came with the aluminum stock I got from Essential Arms:
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
The bushmaster one looks real good! Does it have 1 or 2 staking notches??
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
It has three staking notches. The ring that came with an Essential Arms stock I got a while back had them, but this most recently acquired one does not.

ETA - Do you think the Bushie part's a naval jelly candidate (destined for a 653 clone)?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally have never done the NJ trick,,so I don't know.Maybe someone else can chime in!
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ETA - Do you think the Bushie part's a naval jelly candidate (destined for a 653 clone)?

Maybe.
Has anyone tried the NJ trick on Bushmaster components?
My only Bushy parts are on a non-retro rifle.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a pretty close replacement.  Good source.

I have not tried naval jelly on BM parts, but am interested in the results.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe.

Has anyone tried the NJ trick on Bushmaster components?

My only Bushy parts are on a non-retro rifle.

I tried Naval Jelly on Bushmaster's A1 rear sight today.  Windage drum turned out really light grey.  It's not bare metal, but it's really, really light grey.  Aperture sight and flat spring turned bare metal....
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#7]
real colt locking rings have the hole drilled all the way through and the staking notch is a lot smaller and not as deep.  not sure if you were going for an accurate colt repro.  if so, drill the EA hole all the way through and make the staking notches yourself.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes.  Hit with NJ for about 30 sec.

You can always Cold Blue it if it doesn't work out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sorry. This is incorrect.  The lock ring is aluminum, and the NJ trick works only on steel parts. At best  itt'll leavr aluminum anodizing untouched. At worst it will pit and discolor some types of aluminum.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:15:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Carbine stock lock rings are NOT aluminum!!!

Not all Colt lock lock rings have the hole drilled alll the way thru, I have seen a number of them that are not.

That Bushmaster part looks damn good, no need for NJ in my opinion and you might want to buy about 10 more while you can find them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry. This is incorrect.  The lock ring is aluminum, and the NJ trick works only on steel parts. At best  itt'll leavr aluminum anodizing untouched. At worst it will pit and discolor some types of aluminum.

Unless it's something new, all lock rings and castle nuts for CAR stocks I've ever seen were Steel.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#12]
My Colt lock rings are steel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:08:56 AM EDT
[#13]
It is steel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#14]
All mine stick to a magnet,so +1 for steel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I'm now the proud owner of some naval jelly, so I guess I'll find out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#16]
In my experience Naval Jelly only takes about 3-5 minutes.
The other day I pulled apart one of my rifles that had a DPMS trigger that I'd used NJ on.
I've always left the inside black and just used NJ on the visible parts so I could tell the difference between original and NJ'ed parts.
I tried Brake Kleen on the inside and it didn't remove any of the black.
NJ would still worked.
Of course now I can't easily tell the difference between it an USGI parts.

NJ > Brake Kleen
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]
A little more FYI - with a couple of applications of naval jelly, the Bushmaster lock ring turned a nice grey and, unlike the other parts, remained grey (even nicer in fact) after I oiled it (the others went back to black).
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:55:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Cool,,thanks for keeping us posted! I just love this forum,guys helping each other and following up on projects!!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top