Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2009 4:35:44 PM EDT
Does anyone know a source for Carbine collapsible stock small parts?

I am specifically looking for a castle nut (aka locking ring) as shown on the left in this photo from Ekie's thread.

600 and 700 series Colt Carbine castle nut on left, M4/A1 castle nut on right:

Any assistance would be appreciated as this is (I think) the last part needed for my XM177E2 repro.

Thanks.

David

ETA: Clarified detail
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster.  They list it as their old style 4-pos locking nut or something similar.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:43:52 PM EDT
[#2]
For the XM177E2 you want the "locking" ring on the LEFT,not the castle nut on the RIGHT.. The lock rings tend to be hard to find by themselves.I have not found any alone,only with the stock sets.
ETA sorry,backwards.righty lefty..
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm....I thought it was the one on the left too ?
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Essential Arms lists a CAR stock lock ring (#29) for $6.00.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Bushmaster's website: parts & accessories, buttstocks & pistol grips, individual buttstock parts, 5310-917-1153   Telestock 4 position Locking Nut  should be the part you are looking for. I'll look and see if I can find my receipt and verify part number. I have one from Essential Arms that came with a CAR stock, and think it looks like crap compared to the one I ordered from BM.

Mac

ETA: Around six months ago when I ordered from Bushmaster the lock ring was the type on the left with the holes for the spanner wrench.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For the XM177E2 you want the "locking" ring on the LEFT,not the castle nut on the RIGHT.. The lock rings tend to be hard to find by themselves.I have not found any alone,only with the stock sets.
ETA sorry,backwards.righty lefty..

M1Sniper,

You are correct, I have clarified my original post to reflect this.  I am looking for the locking ring on the left side of the photo.  Is that still the part from Bushmaster?

Thanks.

David
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Hendersen Defense list the small parts separate or as a kit.  I've bought from them no problems.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:08:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Heck I've considered just disc sanding off the notches and drilling a hole. Some of my current spec rings have shallow notches.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 6:36:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Contact Quiet, he has some of the parts you are looking for.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Go to Bushmaster's website: parts & accessories, buttstocks & pistol grips, individual buttstock parts, 5310-917-1153   Telestock 4 position Locking Nut  should be the part you are looking for. I'll look and see if I can find my receipt and verify part number. I have one from Essential Arms that came with a CAR stock, and think it looks like crap compared to the one I ordered from BM.

Mac

ETA: Around six months ago when I ordered from Bushmaster the lock ring was the type on the left with the holes for the spanner wrench.

44Echo10,

Thanks for the update.  Since I had an order pending with Bushmaster anyway, I called up and added the lock ring.  When it arrives, I will report on the type they ship these days.  (Not that six months ago is so long, but we all know how stock can change)

David
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 5:38:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mac

44Echo10,

Thanks for the update.  Since I had an order pending with Bushmaster anyway, I called up and added the lock ring.  When it arrives, I will report on the type they ship these days.  (Not that six months ago is so long, but we all know how stock can change)

David

I purchased one a year or so ago (the old style from Bushmaster) and it had only a slightly matte finish on it (but not quite blued, hard to describe).  I ordered another form Bushmaster a couple of months ago and it has a nice matte phosphate finish on it.  

I can post pics in a bit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I finally got around to taking pictures of the CAR lock ring I got from Bushmaster.

Three notches, two holes, and a nice finish.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#13]
You're in like Flynn now..That looks real good!! There was a post the other day member got the same one and wanted to try the naval jelly trick to turn it gray,you may want to read it and see if he posted a finished reply.
ETA here is the post.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=460238
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]
With the Bushmaster lock ring on the left, here's before...

...and after my first stab at the naval jelly trick:

44Echo10's post in this thread tipped me off to these; thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey MM,,thanks for postin the finished product..Looks like it worked out real well!!! How long did you leave the jelly on for??
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Perfect.

It's a lot like developing film.  Leave it on until the desired shade.

Some parts are ready in 30 sec.
Some take several minutes and some rubbing.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]
First pass was about one minute after which I could see that it was going grey, but it was spotty. With two fingers, gloved in latex, in the center, for the second pas I brushed it with a small paintbrush until I could see the spotty parts turning grey - that was about two minutes.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top