Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 5:28:05 PM EDT
Anyone ever find a way to remove vinyl acetate on damaged Colt aluminum stocks without bead blasting thus removing the original anodizing underneath?

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used a soak in acetone to remove the coating off sling swivels.  Might work for a stock too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Acetone will not touch it, I tried!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Acetone will not touch it, I tried!

Try MEK

If not, then you're probably stuck with blasting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Will do!

Has anyone ever seen just a latch for an aluminum carbine stock, I mean an anodized latch not vinyl coated? I need one badly!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think there is anodizing under the vinyl acetate.  The coating pretty much needs to be blasted off.  Victor at U.S. Anodizing did mine and anodized it XM grey.  He did a great job.

Ive' never seen an anodized latch sold as a stand alone part, USGI or otherwise.  I have seen the vinyl coated latchs on rare occaision on GB.  Hell I've never seen an original anodized early CAR stock for sale either.  That's a rare bird.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I've blasted them before with good results.  Anymore I just leave them, I kind of like the Israeli look.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Will do!

Has anyone ever seen just a latch for an aluminum carbine stock, I mean an anodized latch not vinyl coated? I need one badly!

Contact Quiet, I think he may have had one or two at the last Knob Creek IIRC.  Otherwise check Brownells...

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd like to find someone that will re-apply vinyl acetate to a stock!  I need to restore one...

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:50:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd like to find someone that will re-apply vinyl acetate to a stock!  I need to restore one...

This is the real question... I want to do this but I haven't found a source yet. Is EA making their's again?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top