Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 3:47:27 PM EDT
I'm wandering the value of my Colt Carbine circa 1980ish in close to original condition.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty vague in description, but since we do not discuss prices here in the Retro Forum it does not really matter anyway.

Check around the EE & on the various gun auction sites. Don't look at what they are asking for them, use the ended auctions that sold as a guide line. Then you can go from there.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never understood why we can't discuss collector's values in the retro forum.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:18:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've never understood why we can't discuss collector's values in the retro forum.

Cause 9 times out of 10, someone would ask the "How much is _____ worth?" question then turn right around & put it in the EE, or hint around about selling it in the same post & you'd get people posting "I'll take it's" in the tech forum, & that is the only reason they would come to the Retro Forum. That is my understanding of it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The mods don't want this to end up being a big garage sale.

Retro Forum Code of Conduct

And like HK45shooter said, 9 out of 10 times that someone asks for valuation, they're on a fishing trip trying to hawk something.

Now occasionally, they are asking valuation for insurance purposes, etc. But it's rare. And we've seen way too many times where the item ends up on gunbroker or the EE the next day.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm wandering the value of my Colt Carbine circa 1980ish in close to original condition.

You can get an idea of value here:

Colt Carbine Value

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually, in the name of retro "Buddyship", you should offer it in Connecticut, at an honest price.  I believe it's the only AR that they are allowed to purchase there, and as such are in demand, like "pre-ban" stuff in NY. Just what I've heard....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:40:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cause 9 times out of 10, someone would ask the "How much is _____ worth?" question then turn right around & put it in the EE, or hint around about selling it in the same post & you'd get people posting "I'll take it's" in the tech forum, & that is the only reason they would come to the Retro Forum. That is my understanding of it anyway.

And it's one of the reasons I spend more of my time on this thread than any of the others.

That, along with the "how do I––––" questions from ignorant AR nwbies too lazy or too cheap to spend a few bucka on a manual, tend to garbage up other sections of the site. Most of the info requests on this section are far more relevant, more helpful to folks , even those who didn't ask the original question.

Heck, i've been an AR15 owner since 1973 (I'm kind of 'retro" myself), and i've learned things I  never knew off this section.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That, along with the "how do I––––" questions from ignorant AR nwbies too lazy or too cheap to spend a few bucka on a manual, tend to garbage up other sections of the site.

How do I field strip my AR?
I unscrewed the front screw but it didn't come apart.
Where are the other screws?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]
lol, now thats a good one, front screw, lmao
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That, along with the "how do I––––" questions from ignorant AR nwbies too lazy or too cheap to spend a few bucka on a manual, tend to garbage up other sections of the site.

I've always found it to be helpful when instructing to use relative terms.

So, in order to field strip your AR you need to make sure it isn't loaded. I usually do this by pointing it at the TV. I've bought three TV's in the last year but with the magazine out of the AR it never goes bang more than once. The cats will usually leave the room in one helluva hurry, even when it doesn't go bang.

Next, after your ears have stopped ringing, you push out the doohicky pin in the rear. Then you bend it over and pull out the bolt thingy, you know, the one without threads. Now, you may have to wiggle the handle a little, you know, like on a toilet, to get it out. Now, I don't normally take the front clamshells off unless a bird has built a nest inside. Believe it or not, if there is enough grass inside, and you shoot it enough, you will be looking for a creek.

Now, whatever you do, don't take out the guts. I don't think they're made to take out. Them factory boys must have some crooked fingers to get all them parts in. Now, while your girlfriend, or wife, or both, ain't looking, slip the bolt thingy into the dishwasher. Now, if you don't get it out before they find it you can always blame one of the rugrats.

I usually push a patch through the barrel to knock out the cobwebs cause I don't shoot a whole lot. Once I found a dirt dobber nest in there. Them things can get downright angry when you push a cleaning rod up their backside.

Now, if you don't have any 3n1 oil around you can always pull the dipstick out of the Ford and slap a little on there.

Yep, that's about it.

Disclaimer: The above is a spoof. Please consult your owners manual for proper disassembly and maintenance procedures.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Disclaimer: The above is a spoof. Please consult your owners manual for proper disassembly and maintenance procedures.

Aww. man!
I should have read that before I started.

I read that navel jelly is good for cleaning all the small parts.
But all I have is grape.

I don't have to worry about my rifle being loaded.
I don't own any ammo.
I'll run out and buy some when I need it.
I think they have it at Wal-Mart.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always found it to be helpful when instructing to use relative terms.

So, in order to field strip your AR you need to make sure it isn't loaded. I usually do this by pointing it at the TV. I've bought three TV's in the last year but with the magazine out of the AR it never goes bang more than once. The cats will usually leave the room in one helluva hurry, even when it doesn't go bang.

Next, after your ears have stopped ringing, you push out the doohicky pin in the rear. Then you bend it over and pull out the bolt thingy, you know, the one without threads. Now, you may have to wiggle the handle a little, you know, like on a toilet, to get it out. Now, I don't normally take the front clamshells off unless a bird has built a nest inside. Believe it or not, if there is enough grass inside, and you shoot it enough, you will be looking for a creek.

Now, whatever you do, don't take out the guts. I don't think they're made to take out. Them factory boys must have some crooked fingers to get all them parts in. Now, while your girlfriend, or wife, or both, ain't looking, slip the bolt thingy into the dishwasher. Now, if you don't get it out before they find it you can always blame one of the rugrats.

I usually push a patch through the barrel to knock out the cobwebs cause I don't shoot a whole lot. Once I found a dirt dobber nest in there. Them things can get downright angry when you push a cleaning rod up their backside.

Now, if you don't have any 3n1 oil around you can always pull the dipstick out of the Ford and slap a little on there.

Yep, that's about it.

Wait,doncha have ta pull that black grippie thing off to emory cloth the bottom end??? And quick question,I was told once "never carry the thing by the carry handle" it will throw off the sights.Is this true too??

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Carrying an AR by the carry handle causes the muscles in your chest and arms to hurt.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#14]
No need to field strip the rifle, the AR15 is self cleaning. If you clean them you'll need the small pipe cleaners for the gas tube.

That at least what I read on the internet.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No need to field strip the rifle, the AR15 is self cleaning. If you clean them you'll need the small pipe cleaners for the gas tube.

That at least what I read on the internet.

I wuz tol' the same thing. Only problem I had was jamming the clip in backwerds.  Ah hit it with the heel of mah hand hard ta seat it - now it won' come out! Them straight mags is tricky. Ah'm buyin' an AK an' sell this POS.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top