Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2009 12:31:07 PM EDT
A friend gave me a like new Bushmaster aluminum stock and four position tube. It has the black wrinkle finish with a "B" cast in it. I was thinking it might be cool to use for a retro build if it was possible to coat it with the original style vinyl acetate (or whatever it is) coating.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi Bro,that question has popped up a few times recently.Unfortunatly no one has found a company that does it.However,member crackedcornish used alumihide(? spelling) and put numerous coats,I think he said 10 and it needed ALOT of dry time,but the results were fantastic.You may want to email him he's a very helpful guy and I'm sure he'd fill you in on the details.Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
+1

and/or some folks have had nice results doing powdercoat, Hi-Gloss black.  Somebody here had a can of industrial acetate stuff that they got either at an auto parts supply or industrial chemical supply that was an almost exact match to the Milspec stuff.  Maybe someone else will remember more about it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hi Bro,that question has popped up a few times recently.Unfortunatly no one has found a company that does it.However,member crackedcornish used alumihide(? spelling) and put numerous coats,I think he said 10 and it needed ALOT of dry time,but the results were fantastic.You may want to email him he's a very helpful guy and I'm sure he'd fill you in on the details.Good luck.

and I love to post pics of stuff

yeah, approximately ten light coats of Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II Gloss Black.  I just kept going till the corners started to lose detail, then set it aside to let it fully cure. I let mine sit for about a month while I worked on other stuff. Once it was fully hardened I hit it with a little mothers cleaner wax.

before

after
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone tried that tool handle coating stuff? IIRC, you could open the can, dip the item in the "goo", then let dry, and it would become hard, sticky and thick over the metal?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Has anyone tried that tool handle coating stuff? IIRC, you could open the can, dip the item in the "goo", then let dry, and it would become hard, sticky and thick over the metal?

That stuffs probably a bit too thick.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and I love to post pics of stuff

yeah, approximately ten light coats of Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II Gloss Black.  I just kept going till the corners started to lose detail, then set it aside to let it fully cure. I let mine sit for about a month while I worked on other stuff. Once it was fully hardened I hit it with a little mothers cleaner wax.

before
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/IMG_0158.jpg

after
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/IMG_0156.jpg

Hey, that turned out pretty nice!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#7]
That did turn out nice with the aluma-hyde. Was it more than one can worth?

The powder coating also seems like a good option.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#8]
what kind of jig did you setup to hold the stock while you sprayed it?  some sort of a wire rack?  Like this:

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:16:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
what kind of jig did you setup to hold the stock while you sprayed it?  some sort of a wire rack?  Like this:

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/yhst-17036364171774_2055_862120

I use an old sawhorse, and I nail a piece of wood shim (I now use a wood dowel) to it that will fit into the buffer hole, with the stock sticking straight up, so you can get around it. I'll wrap an old piece of t-shirt material around the shim (dowel) until it gives a tight fit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#10]
crackedcornish, that Alumahyde job turned out excellent!!!!
Blake, that bird looks like...ME!, sittin on the stool. JK!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That stuffs probably a bit too thick.

Actually it takes a few applications to build it up.

However I think the resulting finish is too porous and matte looking as compared to the vinyl acetate.

I did use the stuff to create a decent surface on a M231 style wire stock.  It has held up to use for about seven years now on my main AR.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the compliments guys

I used some 600 grit wet/dry sand paper to smooth out the original crinkle finish, then went at it with some 1000 grit to remove the scratches from the 600 grit.

I used about a quarter to one third of a can of Aluma-Hyde doing the stock, I did several very light coats so it didn't take alot of paint. I just kept spraying till all the edges started to look rounded and less crisp

For a jig I used a shovel handle from the hardware store that I had lying around, that I put a couple inches of double sided tape on, to hold the stock in place while I sprayed it
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice.  Looks good!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top