Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/13/2009 10:26:59 PM EDT
I recently came into posession of what was advertised as an "AR-15 no-tick selector".  I assumed this to be an SP1 selector when I bought it (off of the EE), but after examining it, it looks to me to be an M16 selector - it has three detent positions, for one thing.  Definitely not the same critter as the selectors that come in A2 semi-auto parts kits, tick-mark notwithstanding.  What type of selector did Colt civillian rifles have?  Can somebody post a picture and/or explain the differences? If this is an M16 selector, I am not going to be using it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's an auto selector. Look like this?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Here's an auto selector. Look like this?

http://www.ar15products.net/cat2710.jpg

Yeah, except that it appears the middle rib has been ground down to the flat.  Here is a pic, the one in front.  I've heard of auto selectors being modified for use in semi-autos, but I also think there is something that is supposed to be welded? There isn't anything welded on this one, just that middle rib ground down.

So is this a bubba'ed auto selector, or is it really something that could have come out of an SP1 or other civillian rifle?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
That is an M16 selector that has been modified to remove the portion that engages the disconnector - making it into AR-15 configuration. IIRC it will result in Safe, Fire, Safe  **see other posts for correction ** operation in the three positions - since it has the extra detent. The notch to the side is where the auto sear would engage, but that would not be present in your rifle, just as there should be a block across the back of the trigger, and no tail on the disconnector - all of which are required for the selector to do its part..

Some AR companies used modified M16 parts, but I highly doubt that came from an original Colt SP1
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually as its modified now it should be Safe, Semi, Semi....  right?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Actually as its modified now it should be Safe, Semi, Semi....  right?

That would be correct, since there is no protrusion to depress the M16 disconnector it would only fire semi auto in the auto position. It would not be in the safe position as there is nothing to obstruct trigger movement so it WILL fire in that position!

Disregard the SAFE SEMI SAFE post, it is incorrect.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
You probably figured it out, the SP 1's are like the top one in your photo, but without the tick mark and more of a gray color.

I don't have a M-16 selector to mess with, but since it is on topic thought I'd ask.  What would a non modified M-16 selector do if you put it in a SP 1?  (I realize it's not going to make it fire auto)  Would it work and just rotate into another position?  If so what would it do in that position; safe, semi?

I guess a more specific question is can you use a M-16 selector for a semi retro build if you had one?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I guess a more specific question is can you use a M-16 selector for a semi retro build if you had one?

Yes

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, I'm now clear about what it is, but I don't really want my rifle to be able to go into the AUTO position.  I know I've seen references to a mod (weld?) that keeps it from going into the third position.  Is this simply welding up the third detent position? Could someone expound on that?  Maybe post a picture?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK, I'm now clear about what it is, but I don't really want my rifle to be able to go into the AUTO position.  I know I've seen references to a mod (weld?) that keeps it from going into the third position.  Is this simply welding up the third detent position? Could someone expound on that?  Maybe post a picture?

if you look, there should be a divot, then a little v-shaped channel, then another divot, another v-shaped channel and another divot.  the divots are what clicks when you move it to that position, the detents lock in there.  the v-shaped channels are what the detent travels in.  so what you could need to do it weld and then grind smooth the last divot and v-shaped channel that takes you there thus eliminating the third position.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, let me get this straight:

1.  It is an M16 (AUTO) selector.
2.  The middle rib on the selector is ground down to make it into AR15 (semi-auto) configuration.
3.  A selector so modified will still travel into the "AUTO" position, but will only allow semi-automatic fire in that position.
4.  An unmodified M16 may be leaglly installed.
5.  An unmodified M16 selector WILL NOT produce automatic fire (a "machine gun") without the other parts of the AUTO fire control group.
6.  An unmodified M16 selector will only produce semi-automatic fire in the "AUTO" position, as long as all other fire-control parts are semi-auto only.

All correct so far?  So why bother to grind the rib down?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK, let me get this straight:

1.  It is an M16 (AUTO) selector.
2.  The middle rib on the selector is ground down to make it into AR15 (semi-auto) configuration.
3.  A selector so modified will still travel into the "AUTO" position, but will only allow semi-automatic fire in that position.
4.  An unmodified M16 may be leaglly installed.
5.  An unmodified M16 selector WILL NOT produce automatic fire (a "machine gun") without the other parts of the AUTO fire control group.
6.  An unmodified M16 selector will only produce semi-automatic fire in the "AUTO" position, as long as all other fire-control parts are semi-auto only.

All correct so far?  So why bother to grind the rib down?

To show intent, as in you are doing everything within your power to be "semi-auto only"?
Kinda' like modding FA hammers, disconnectors, and bolt carriers to "SEMI ONLY".
It gives you a leg to stand on so to speak, if someone questions your fire contron group.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Sarco sells those on Shotgun News for guys (like me) who like to shift to "pretend" full auto.Like this.  No harm intended, perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I put an unmodified m16 selector in my AR-15... it does indeed switch back to the auto position but does not fire in this position.. it is safe, semi, safe
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top