Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/28/2009 4:04:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I went ahead and just posted in that thread - to keep it all together. What a damn shame.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me ask for some advice.  At the risk of sounding insensitive (I can assure you that my thoughts are indeed with Mr. Wala's wife and family on the unfortunate occasion of his passing), I sent off a barrel and some retro small parts for refinishing some weeks ago.

Should I just wait to see if they are returned by those surviving him or should I wait some weeks and try to make contact with those settling his affairs?

I really don't what the most appropriate way to proceed is.

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, I hate to hear that.  I am using one of his .22lr retro brl for a retro AR project.  Man, just hard to believe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn that's tragic.  He was a very nice man and a genius smith too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow, what a shock.  I got some 9mm stuff from him a couple of years ago.  Thanks for posting, I was able to respond to the other thread.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
That is a terrible shame. Working in law enforcement I've seen my share of fatal accidents. They all have one thing in common, the people that died did not know that they were going to die on that day. They left this earth leaving so many things undone. The last one that I worked was terrible. A young woman had picked up her mother and they were on their way to the baptism of the woman's brother, also the mother's son. The woman lost control of her SUV and it rolled over after striking an embankment.The mother, who wasn't wearing her seat belt, was ejected from the vehicle. To make things worse she was ejected into the path of a large truck passing in the opposite lane. All she knew up until the accident was that she was on her way to see her son baptized. Life can be exceptionally cruel sometimes.

RIP Kurt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Kurt was the one who made my XM177 moderator and perm attached it to the barrel I sent him.  I only spoke to him once on the phone.......Very nice personable guy and extremely talented........What a shock to hear of his death.........RIP Kurt....my condolences to the family also.......

ETA...Kurt was great at taking care of the AR15 retro fan.....he was pleased when I posted pics here of his work....like this one.....
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#8]
 He's helped me cut and thread 2 Daewoo barrels and shape a bolt to fit the proprietary  professional ordnance carbon-15 all for very reasonable prices.  RIP Kurt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
He transferred a couple of receivers for me years ago.  Nice Guy, didn't get to peek too much at his shop, but he showed me his 22 setups and I should have bought one back then.

He did some fine work.

He will be missed.

JW
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I was just getting ready to send Kurt a barrel to flute.

Godspeed Kurt.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't know Kurt and I never had the pleasure of doing buisness with him but I feel the loss. He was a great asset to us Retro folks and will be missed. It may sound corny but I like to think that when good people are taken from us it's because God needs more Angels. Rest in Peace Brother.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#12]
If you were into custom ARs, Bushie M17s or Robinson M96s it was impossible not to know this man's work.

R.I.P., Kurt!!!!  God be with you and your family.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#13]
So sorry to hear that.

Kurt had one of my uppers for his M9Evo conversion since last September. Sent payment with the upper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm in the same boat.  Advice anyone?

RIP Kurt, you'll be sorely missed.

Quoted:
Let me ask for some advice.  At the risk of sounding insensitive (I can assure you that my thoughts are indeed with Mr. Wala's wife and family on the unfortunate occasion of his passing), I sent off a barrel and some retro small parts for refinishing some weeks ago.

Should I just wait to see if they are returned by those surviving him or should I wait some weeks and try to make contact with those settling his affairs?

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:38:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat.  Advice anyone?

RIP Kurt, you'll be sorely missed.

Quoted:

Kurt's Website

The link above from the discussion forum of Kurt's site provides us with the following:

For those of you who don't know, Kurt was killed in a motorcycle accident last Saturday. Be advised there is profound grief and sadness at Kurt's house. His wife, Jaq, and sons are devastated. Right now their world is upside down! In the coming days, Jaq will be going through Kurt's shop, and will doing the best she can to identify what belongs to whom. Jaq is not a gunsmith, and doesn't know much about kurt's shop or record keeping. So please be patient, helpful, and understanding. Between the loss, the grief, and financial constraints it would be very helpful if everybody worked with her. Any one who had material with Kurt should email an itemized list to include pictures (if possible). This would expedite returns If you could help her with shipping costs that would be greatly appreciated. In addition,if you know of anyone who has material with Kurt, please contact them with this information. Kurt's shop is now and forever closed, and all items will be returned just as soon as is humanly possible.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:58:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top