Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2009 1:12:23 PM EDT
Were cam pins ever chromed, or always parked?
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 1:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
In my limited experience I've never seen a chrome one.  My two original (at least I hope they're original) 601 BCG's have parked ones.

ETA: You're just talking retro ones, right?  Young chrome NM BCG's have chrome pins...
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
In my limited experience I've never seen a chrome one.  My two original (at least I hope they're original) 601 BCG's have parked ones.

mine is parked too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
There used to be after-market chromed cam pins. I think Brownells used to stock them. I don't know if anyone carry's them today.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Black Weapons Armory says they have Chrome cam pins.  I believe Brownells will backorder them.  M and A parts did have them a month or two ago.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for replies, I was asking from a historical standpoint, not current production.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have thought I had a couple that are chromed, on my carriers, ,

edited to correct a too quick post,

both my chromed carriers (both M16, one cut for a match rifle) have parked cam pins,

somewhere tho, I've seen some,,,,,

paging wpnsman,,,,,

Link Posted: 4/12/2009 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an original 601 BCG that came with the 601 kit I have...its has a parked cam pin.  The 601 lower was converted to an M-16A2.
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Every BCG I've run across from 601s to 602s to 604s have all had parked cam pins.  That's not to say they never existed but in military service, I've never seen one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 1:30:14 PM EDT
[#9]
While they "may" have existed in the early 601 spec, I have personally never seen one in service.

Cam pins are coated with SFL over park when new that eventually wears down to the bare metal on the bearing surfaces.

WpnsMan

Link Posted: 4/13/2009 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have yet to see an original Colt cam pin that was chrome.

I sure would like to know the reason, as the other parts were chromed?

Link Posted: 4/13/2009 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Not an expert on the subject here, but I believe it has something to do with the chroming process embrittling the plated component.  At least this was the case with the older process of chromium-plating, as it existed back in the 1960's.  That being the case, one would also question the logic of chroming bolts, which must withstand high stress loading during operation, just as the bolt cam pins do.
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not an expert on the subject here, but I believe it has something to do with the chroming process embrittling the plated component.  At least this was the case with the older process of chromium-plating, as it existed back in the 1960's.  That being the case, one would also question the logic of chroming bolts, which must withstand high stress loading during operation, just as the bolt cam pins do.

that argument has been discussed before, but I can't remember the outcome,

I have a chrome M16 carrier/bolt in my M16, guessing 5K thru it (I'm the original owner), no issues

and a chrome carrier (cut to AR specs) and a chrome bolt in my Match AR,  it has ~8K or more thru it, 2K of M193ball, rest hot reloads pushing 52/69/75gr SMK's. no issues at all, (not thru the same barrel, it's currently on #2)

that's probably not a lot of rounds for you mag dumpers, but, both have always had Chrome bolts/carriers

Link Posted: 4/14/2009 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#13]
i have never seen a military chromed cam pin.  though i have never seen a parked milled firing pin retaining pin either.
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#14]

KNS perma pin, closest thing I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Have a closeup of a Colt chrome milled fprp for comparison? I've never seen one in person.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I will post a picture this weekend if no one gets to it first.

The Colt chrome pins are a little different.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Here you go Augi, Colt chrome FPRP.

Link Posted: 4/20/2009 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#18]
thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#19]

My pin looks exactly like yours - I ordered from someone but I forget who.  I thought it was a KNS pin but maybe it's a Colt or a copy of the Colt.  It fits original slick side carriers fine but a little tight in a Young's chrome slick side carrier.

YMMV

ETA:  From info in the new posts - my pin would have to be a DPMS copy of the Colt - no black mark on the face.

Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#20]
DPMS or someone was making the "original style" retaining pin.  I have a couple, but they are pricey, for they are at least.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
DPMS or someone was making the "original style" retaining pin.  I have a couple, but they are pricey, for they are at least.

jw4570 (or anyone else):  I was curious if there is a way to tell an original Colt retaining pin from a DPMS copy.  They look very similar.

Do your DPMS retaining pins have the black mark on the face?  I've noticed the pictures of Colt's in the tagged info, the photo RMiller submitted and the one I have all seem to have it, some more obvious than others.

This is the ink to the DPMS copy:

DPMS Retainer Pin

This is a Colt (at least that is what I was told) and the black mark is pretty distinct.

Link Posted: 4/26/2009 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
i have never seen a military chromed cam pin.  though i have never seen a parked milled firing pin retaining pin either.

The early SP1s came with them.   ...speaking of which, I need an original parked solid retaining pin if someone hears of one.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

jw4570 (or anyone else):  I was curious if there is a way to tell an original Colt retaining pin from a DPMS copy.  They look very similar.

Do your DPMS retaining pins have the black mark on the face?  I've noticed the pictures of Colt's in the tagged info, the photo RMiller submitted and the one I have all seem to have it, some more obvious than others.

This is the ink to the DPMS copy:

DPMS Retainer Pin

This is a Colt (at least that is what I was told) and the black mark is pretty distinct.

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo134/rlr350/IMG_1334.jpg

I just received 2 of the DPMS retaining pins from Midway. They do not have a black mark on the face.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top