Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2009 8:26:12 AM EDT
So, I finally found the split washer for my XM16E1 build, and I have the correct wrench (an original USGI) but in just screwing the FH on hand tight it seems like it's going to time so the slots are off center. I rolled the washer around a bit, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm wondering if that's why they came up with the thicker washer later - to accomodate rifles that the threads might be a little off? The top slot is at about 11 o'clock maybe 11:30 now and I want it at 12 obviously. I haven't put the wrench on it because it seems clear that it isn't going to rotate that much more so the next slot is in line, or even the tine. What am I missing? I have 2 other three-prongs, maybe I'll try them, but I'm guessing what I need is the thicker, knurled washer.

ETA: Okay... so, the next three-prong I tried timed at just after 12, so it may tighten down fine. Weird. I'm going to go find my wrench...
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I think what you really need is a crush washer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont think the 3 prong FH needs to be timed

ETA: if it bother you and want it to be timed use a peel washer or a crush washer
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Neither Armalite, Colt, or the US Military cared about the timing of that hider.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#4]
A split washer is correct for an XM16E1 not a crush washer. I have the washer - maybe Uncle Sam didn't care, but I do! Uncle Sam also didn't care whether the uppers & lowers matched either...

I think I have it ready to tighten, but can't find my damn wrench. I've got the entire closet torn apart - no better time to reorganize I guess, found shit I had forgotten about...but now I'm eyeing all my storage and considering moving everything around. Too much time on my hands I guess.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I decided to time mine with one prong at 12 oclock to keep the flash from in front of the site, plus it keeps two slots at an upper angle vs. one slot firing down ..I figure it just might make a very small usefull imorovement that way..pushes the muzzle down and keeps the flash from obscuring the sight picture. Most of mine time that way when tight anyway for what it is worth. I use the split ring washer which is correct for that type flash hider anyway.
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with that logic...

Link Posted: 2/25/2009 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, that's good logic. Maybe I'll retime mine so the tine is on top rather than a slot - but I AM using the split washer and every FH I use seems to be different. I'll have to play some more tomm. Found my wrench though!
Link Posted: 2/25/2009 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
btway Morg..I'm loving the GI wrench I bought from you!
Came in handy for my obsessive compulsive fiddling.....
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top