Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2008 8:13:00 AM EDT
Ive read the tutorial on here about how to machine an A2 to be more A1-like, and I have quite a bit of mechanical experience so I'd like to try it out...

Has anyone actually done it on here?

The hardest part looks like making the rounded and contoured end of the pivot pin detent housing (partial fence) and making the contour on the side of the partial fence where you mill off the fencing around the button....

Anyone have any advice on proper procedure for this?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Go SLOW.  You can always remove, but can't put back.

I used a dremel, files, and sandpaper.  Others have access to a mill.

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Go SLOW. You can always remove, but can't put back.
I've been looking all over for an un-Dremel tool, an un-file, and un-sandpaper.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Happens in the shop all the time...

"I cut it twice and it's still too short!"

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go SLOW. You can always remove, but can't put back.
I've been looking all over for an un-Dremel tool, an un-file, and un-sandpaper.

And right after your first awshit!! moment, fresh un-derpants
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to do those with a Dremel before NODAK started in with the NDS-601 lowers.  I did a few with my vertical mill and indexing rotary table too.  You can get them to come out pretty good, but even on your best day, they won't be as good as an NDS.  I'll probably never do another one.  This is the last one I did:

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I was actually thinking about getting an NDS 16a1 lower and milling off some of the fence to make it a partial fence lower.  The upside is that I don't have to remove metal from the pivot pin lugs or the back of the receiver.  The downside is that I just ruined a perfectly good NDS 16a1 receiver.  If that makes sense?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used to do those with a Dremel before NODAK started in with the NDS-601 lowers...

Same here, those are old pics.

We now try and keep a few NoDaks on hand!

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top