Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2008 5:51:44 AM EDT
I was at a gunshow last weekend and was walking around first thing in the morning before everyone was set up, anyway I picked up an early smooth side upper (no foward assist) complete with early chome lined barrel, gas tube, straight delta ring and triangle handguards. Best thing is I got it all for $120! Now my questions. It has a birdcage flashhider, is that correct? I'm also thinking of putting together a rifle that would look basicly correct. I have looked at the Nodak flat side receivers but they are out of stock (and with the recent political climate not sure I want to wait till/if they get them back in stock) are there any other receivers I could look at finding that will at least match in color of my upper receiver?
Thanks for any help,
Van
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:36:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you post a picture?
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a great deal to me!

With the chromed barrel, a bird cage FH would be correct.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a late 604 upper.  A full fence lower is the one that goes with that.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Z09SS,
I am probably wrong but didn't the 604 have a forward assist? The receiver that I have does not have forward assist so I thought it was a 602. As I say I'm probably wrong. If I can use a full fence receiver that would be great!! Then all I have to do is match the color. Will this Norrells finish I've been seeing mentioned match my upper? I will try to get a picture of it and post it for everyone to see.
Thanks again,
Van
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like a late 604 upper.  A full fence lower is the one that goes with that.

Or a takeoff from an SP1.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Z09SS,
I am probably wrong but didn't the 604 have a forward assist? The receiver that I have does not have forward assist so I thought it was a 602. As I say I'm probably wrong. If I can use a full fence receiver that would be great!! Then all I have to do is match the color. Will this Norrells finish I've been seeing mentioned match my upper? I will try to get a picture of it and post it for everyone to see.
Thanks again,
Van

If your upper is already gray, just use one of NoDaks NDS-16A1 lowers already anodized gray.

Anyways, Norrell's moly resin "GRAYISH-BLACK Flat" is close.  Here is a pic of a lower that was sprayed with Norrells.  The upper is factory anodized.

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Z09SS,
I am probably wrong but didn't the 604 have a forward assist?

604's are the USAF M16, and did not have a forward assist. 603's, XM16E1 & M16A1, have the forward assist.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=406431

I'm building a 604 at the moment, that's why the receiver differences are fresh in my mind.

Just waiting for NoDak Spud to get caught up and send me my lowers.

I might go with the anachronism of the full-fence lower with a three prong flash-hider.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Z09SS,
I used the link that you posted and my upper looks exactly like yours! Well looks like I'm making a 604 clone. To keep it simple I will keep the birdcage so I can do it up as a late 604 with a full fence lower and a bolt carrier with teeth on it. I found a web site called http://www.retroblackrifle.com/ you guys have probably already heard of it but I found it to be very informative.
Thanks to everyone for all the help and when I get it done I'll post some pictures.
Van
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not 100%sure, but i think a 3 prong flash suppressor is more correct, in the 80's, I carried 1 in Basic; slab side, 3 pronger.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:17:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am not 100%sure, but i think a 3 prong flash suppressor is more correct, in the 80's, I carried 1 in Basic; slab side, 3 pronger.

Only for a rifle so equipped. If the rifle has a partial fence lower, it is, but if the rifle has a full fence lower, then the birdcage is correct.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top