Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2008 4:49:48 PM EDT
This is my first post here so hopefully it turns out ok...

Last week I got a Colt SP1 and found some info on it but figured I would join and post it on here.  I got if from the original owner who had claimed to put about 200 rounds

It came with 2 original Colt 20 rnd mags and last night I picked up an additional four 30 rnd mags and seven 20 rnd mags.  The additional ones are all marked Universal Inds or Adventure Line.

The SP1 is in good shape with the original finish and when I pivoted her open everything was in great shape.  There are some scratches to the finish only (they can be seen on the side of the barrel and one near the butt stock.  How much does this take away from the value?

It also came with the original instruction manual that had the name of the shop, date purchased, and the price it sold for.  

Also I have about 10 strips to load the mags with one adapter to hook it to the mags.

I was wondering what you guys thought about the gun and the entire package.  I was wondering about the value of it also as I have more money tied up in this gun than any of my others.

I brought it to the range saturday and it performed great!  The pictures are not the best quality because they were taken with my camera phone.

http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p357/RedFireFTR/0725082132-1-1.jpg
http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p357/RedFireFTR/0725082135-1-1.jpg
http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p357/RedFireFTR/0725082133a-2.jpg
http://i344.photobucket.com/albums/p357/RedFireFTR/0725082150-1-2.jpg
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 4:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a great looking rifle there Red! And welcome to the site!

The AdventureLine and Universal mags are all good. Nice score on them too.

Pricing is still rather regional. Locally I've seen real dirty pos's, usually with something mismatching, going for $1200 and up. It's rather hideous. Although it's fairly common to find a clean SP1 in Equipment Exchange (EE) for around $1000, sometimes a bit less.

These older rifles are my favorites. They're just so light and handy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats...I am new to the group too.  I just got a new LE6920 and am waiting for the weekend to try it out....Keep us  posted..
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Very NICE!!!  You got a beauty there!  

Someday I will have another SP1.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#5]
A very nice example. Regretably the managment of this site prohibits us from discussing values of items, they veiw that as a form of advertising. Seems some people ask if they can buy said item after it's "price" is listed and contact the owner outside this forum. I say oh well, you can't always win.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I was not aware of the rule against posts about prices.  I knew alot of people don't really like that sort of thread though.  The main reason for my post was to just to read peoples comments on my rifle because I am new to AR's.

Thanks for all the info and comments so far!
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 9:10:55 AM EDT
[#7]
My dad is the original owner of his SP1 from the 70s and he is way handier with the irons than I will ever be.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I handled my first Colt (M16 ) and took Basic Training in KY ( Fort Knox )

Nice rifle , congrats
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The SP1 to ME, is the handiest of all the rifle length ARs/M16 series.

Nice find.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Great first post! Welcome!

The Universal Industries and Adventure Line magazine are typical for late 70's and early 80's AR15 owner acquisitions. The Universal Industries magazines are usually the best 20 round magazines made, and Colt chose UI to make most of their 20 round magazine bodies. You may notice the UI symbol on the front of your Colt magazines. The Adventure Line magazines are typical military contract magazines and most work well. They seemed to use a thicker gauge of aluminum and the finish coating on them seemed to be thicker as well.

Scratches only mean that the rifle was used and not put away as a safe queen. I'd rather have a shooter than something that would make me feel guilty every time I put a round downrange.

We'd love to know what the original purchase date was and the original price the rifle sold for. Particularly since that would be irrelevant to what the rifle is worth now.

Presence of the stripper clips and the charger guide indicate that the previous owner knew something about the rifle and how to use it. It would benefit you greatly to study up on this and become proficient with the rifle.

I think you have a nice package deal with the rifle and magazines. Despite what you may have invested in it, you won't find a better AR15 on the market today. They just don't make them like this any more.

The range performance you experienced is typical of the Colt SP1. They shoot so well and are full of nostalgia.  I hope that the range session convinces you to make the SP1 a permanent part of your collection.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#11]
The info from the back of the instruction manual is:

Colt Model: AR-15 Sporter
Serial No: 67XXX
Caliber: .223
Purchased From: The Bullet Hole Gun Ctr
Purchased Date: 4/30/82
Purchase Price: $533.50

The serial number puts it as made in 1977.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I believe your serial number is 167XXX, which places it's production in 1982. That would put it more in line with the purchase date.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#13]
That's a really good Post #1.  Better than mine I'm sure.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice rifle and welcome to Arfcom!  

I'd leave that bad boy all original if I were you, that's a pretty sweet piece!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like due to financial reasons I am going to have to put her up for sale.  As you can see im sort of new to AR15.com.  I read the rules for EE but is there anything special that I have to do to post a for sale thread over there?  I am not the most familiar with AR15.com but I use THR a litte more frequently.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Still my favorite rifle, Congrats!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I believe your serial number is 167XXX, which places it's production in 1982. That would put it more in line with the purchase date.

And maybe the price.  The last one I bought was in '76 and it cost $225.00
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow. Kewl!

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#19]
congrats, nice rifle

my first AR was an SP1, hesitated awhile before crossing over to the dark side, but without a doubt that AR is one of my favorite rifles
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like due to financial reasons I am going to have to put her up for sale.  As you can see im sort of new to AR15.com.  I read the rules for EE but is there anything special that I have to do to post a for sale thread over there?  I am not the most familiar with AR15.com but I use THR a litte more frequently.

If you want anyone here to notice it you have to put "Retro" in the title.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And maybe the price.  The last one I bought was in '76 and it cost $225.00

The last 3 SP1s I bought were in the mid-eighties and all 3 ran for $399 each. Shortly thereafter the A2s with a 1:7 twist replaced 'em which I immediately started buying until a divorce caused me to sell all my Colts including a mint M16A1. I was going to photographed them all together in a row one night, but thought what's the point, they ain't going anywhere. Now I kinda look like this when I think of my 11 gun Colt AR-15 collection of the past.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top