Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 3:34:45 PM EDT
I am sure this has been hashed, but, I have an early brown butt stock and a right hand guard. still trying to gather parts. Trying to decide on an authentic finish.. What have you found that looks authentic and durable.. Is there a balance ?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, if you have an original set in good condition and has no paint on it, I'd leave it brown and try to find a left side HG.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Dude, if you have an original set in good condition and has no paint on it, I'd leave it brown and try to find a left side HG.

The right hand guard is all brown with a tiny chip in the front, easy enough to fix ?  And the butt stock has a lot of green paint chipping already. I am not sure if I just want to clean it off, but then again, I don't want to ruin it either.. These parts have been very difficult to find and had to pay a mint, at least in my mind. Left hand guard purchase has proven difficult also
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I would leave them as is.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
KurtVF sells a green tinted paint that matches the original paint just about perfect. It is just a shade darker than my Type A stock & PG.

The HGs in my pic were painted with it. The other furniture is original.

I am in a different boat than most here that I have talked to at least, in their search for 601 HGs. I have the left (which has most the green paint wore off) , & am searching for a right side. If I ever get/find a right side I am gonna strip everything down to the brown finish, but untill then I'll have to stay green.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
KurtVF sells a green tinted paint that matches the original paint just about perfect. It is just a shade darker than my Type A stock & PG.

i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/hk45shooter/KurtVF763x613.jpg

I am in a different boat than most here that I have talked to at least, in their search for 601 HGs. I have the left (which has most the green paint wore off) , & am searching for a right side. If I ever get/find a right side I am gonna strip everything down to the brown finish, but untill then I'll have to stay green.

I have had trouble finding a source anywhere..   Wonder what type of paint that is ?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have had trouble finding a source anywhere..   Wonder what type of paint that is ?

The only source is by IMing or e-mailing KurtVF.

It is an acrylic enamel paint. I've been told what brand it is before, but cannot remember right now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a green 601 BS and PG 10 or so years ago from someone in Shotgun news for $40. Damn, why didn't I have enough sense to buy more than just one??? I've never found any HGs, so I've had to paint black ones.
That said, I'm like Blanco, If I ever aquire a pair of HGs, I would HAVE TO strip off all the green down to the brown and maybe clear coat them. The brown furniture is uber-cool! Minwax helmsman spar urethane comes in a spray can, and you can choose from gloss or "satin". I think that would be the hot ticket.
Beel!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm still looking for the left side 601 hand guard, but I think I'm going to leave what I do have original, too risky to repaint!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The right hand guard is all brown with a tiny chip in the front, easy enough to fix ?  And the butt stock has a lot of green paint chipping already. I am not sure if I just want to clean it off, but then again, I don't want to ruin it either.. These parts have been very difficult to find and had to pay a mint, at least in my mind. Left hand guard purchase has proven difficult also

Have you considered trying to match the brown of the original handguard? I know it won't be exact because of the color variations in the fiberglass, but I bet you could get it in the right color range and be happy with it until the real thing comes along. And paint a pistol grip too while you're at it. It's hard for me not to leave the original parts original, but not impossible depending on condition, and without seeing it I couldn't offer an opinion on what I would do with the buttstock.

For my build I went to an auto paint supply store and they were able to match the paint on original furniture pretty closely. The paint is Dupont Chromabase. The starting color was Spectramaster Yellow and they tinted it from there. I don't remember what it cost for a small can (1 pint), probably more than I was expecting, but I have been very pleased with the result.

Original 601 right handguard with left painted to match

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#10]
That color looks good.  The butt stock will clean up good, If I was at home I would post some pics.  Been working out of own for a month so far, it will most likely depend on the condition of the next part, if I find one..
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:52:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm trying to get the green paint off of one of my brown buttstocks, the other will stay green.

Acetone is unbearably slow.

I've got a way, but you ain't gonna like it... IM sent
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Is anyone providing a service of painting furniture with Kurts paint?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is anyone providing a service of painting furniture with Kurts paint?

I've done it myself, it's easy. Others have had auto body shops do it..
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm trying to get the green paint off of one of my brown buttstocks, the other will stay green.

Share info with the OP
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:56:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't see the point in messing around with expensive 601 furniture to repaint when you can get a set of black furniture to paint.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Share info with the OP

IM sent. Read at your own risk
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

HK,
I still have some GREAT retro parts for your LEFT SIDED GREEEEN HANDGUARD!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top