Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2008 6:01:18 PM EDT
Came across this parkerized scope mount marked Fed Ord Inc So. El Monte, CA, other side marked AH 0069, from the shape of it, it appears to have been made for the old style flat delta ring, any comments, would this be considered a retro scope mount?

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Have not seen this in any Real Deal photos.
See the thread tacked at top of forum.
If memory serves, showed up early-mid 1990's.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one about 1981 or 1982.  I do not know the manufacturer, but it was identical to the one shown.

It placed the scope way too high for me and I traded it for a case of C-rats.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks an awful lot likea  Leatherwood style mount
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Fed Ord Inc So. El Monte, CA is the company that used to build up M14 (M1A) rifles on their poorly made receivers up until 92 or 98. You can usually find those rifles for $800 or 900. They are great for real GI parts but the receivers tend to be bad... although I have seen some work flawless. They also made up alot of m1 garands too. They were also a big importer of firearms and you sometimes see M1 carbines and other firearms with their importer marks.

Sorta a cheap company that thankfully went out of bossiness... their quality tends to be on the low side.  They made a bunch of wierd stuff over the years too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
They made a bunch of mini-14 and 10/22 accessories during the mid eighties as well.

A friend of mine had a bunch of their stuff bolted to his mini back then. Steel hand guard, scope mount,  and a M14 style flash hider, as I recall it was all kinda' cheaply made.

But it was priced accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Fed Ord Inc So. El Monte, CA is the company that used to build up M14 (M1A) rifles on their poorly made receivers up until 92 or 98. You can usually find those rifles for $800 or 900. They are great for real GI parts but the receivers tend to be bad... although I have seen some work flawless. They also made up alot of m1 garands too. They were also a big importer of firearms and you sometimes see M1 carbines and other firearms with their importer marks.

Sorta a cheap company that thankfully went out of bossiness... their quality tends to be on the low side.  They made a bunch of wierd stuff over the years too.

The mags they made made for the Mini14 were the best ever made aside from factory mags. They always work for me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The mags they made made for the Mini14 were the best ever made aside from factory mags. They always work for me.

+1 on the Mini14 mags by FedOrd.  About 25+ years ago we bought a bunch of their mags and they all worked flawlessly.  

Imagine my surprise a few years ago when my friend bought a Mini and available aftermarket mags were almost useless.  I managed to find some NOS Fed Ord mags for him and they all worked like the mags we bought way back when.

Fed Ord did put out some odd and cheaply made stuff but they had their moments.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:13:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the feedback on the scope mount. It has a Japanese made Tasco 3x-9x with it, could come in handy, even if not retro in the traditional sense. Price is right, didn't trade C-Rats for it, but a few mags. The extended length of the mount provides for more scope eye relief options, and those cheap Japanese Tascos have worked surprisingly well for what they are.

Will keep the XM16E1 build more authentic, and use this setup on the quasi-retro H-BAR with the triangle handguards and A-1 buttstock. Thanks again for those that took the time to comment on products from yesteryear.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#9]
It does look like the modern Leatherwood mount I'm using for my 3X9X40 Leatherwood ART.  It's as close as I'll ever come to an original Leatherwood ART on a 656.  The original ART's go for about $1500 and up when you can find them, and as I understand it, they don't work too good either.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top