Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 11:09:44 AM EDT
I have a SP1 that according to Colt was made in 1965 (serial # SP026XX) & everything was correct in it, except the BCG. I have since bought a chrome "MP" marked bolt, but still have the "C" marked M16 carrier in it.

I was wanting to know which carrier would be correct for this SP1. I'm assuming it would be a slick side (no FA notches) carrier. Now I have the book "Black Rifle II" in front of me, & on pages 303 & 304 it shows two early Semi-Automatic bolt carriers. Can anyone tell me which would the one for me? The top or bottom one?

I might have an opportunity to get one like the bottom one, but it has a chrome key on it with multiple stakings.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Top one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I know where your looking.  I wish he'd come to the borad before screwing it up
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe it is the top one. I think the bottom carrier was before 1965.  But there is always those transition periods.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Where are you guys finding this information to verify what parts should be on your SP1 according to it's serial number/ time frame?

I need a good source like that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

IM me with what your talking about. I'm confused.

Quoted:
Where are you guys finding this information to verify what parts should be on your SP1 according to it's serial number/ time frame?

I need a good source like that.

The SP1 Database at the top of the Retro Forum is a good place.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Hes just mad because I had to restake it. He should have replied sooner.

Is it even the right carrier key for it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Its the right key. Thats how Colt early staking looks, single strikes like that. That is how my 601 carrier's round carrier key is staked. Nice carrier you got. Its too bad the key was leaking and you had to restake it, but then again, if you are gonna shoot it re-staking it was a good idea. I would rather be safe then 100% original Here's an example of original staking on an early very low mileage parked slickside carrier. Its just single strikes in the middle of the key between the hex bolts. Sorry the pic kinda sux, my camera is a turd

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:48:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hes just mad because I had to restake it. He should have replied sooner.

Is it even the right carrier key for it?

I'm not mad because you screwed it up.  I would only be mad if it were mine and you screwed it up.  It's just too bad that a rare old carrier will no longer be original
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Well you guys would be really pissed that I cut down a similar chrome one a while back for a pistol project. Ended up destroying the carrier all together. So which bolt goes in it. The wide band or the narrow band?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Wide band.  Narrow is too early

ETA, chrome ones aren't nearly as rare as an original slickside SP1 carrier.  I've had at least 15 chrome carriers bought off tables at gunshows and only 4 SP1s.  All 4 came in original 64-65 model rifles where they still are.  I've never seen one available by itself.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wide band.  Narrow is too early

ETA, chrome ones aren't nearly as rare as an original slickside SP1 carrier.  I've had at least 15 chrome carriers bought off tables at gunshows and only 4 SP1s.  All 4 came in original 64-65 model rifles where they still are.  I've never seen one available by itself.

Well heres your chance. You could always swap the key off it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I happen to know where 2 are now. I'll see your

And raise you to

They are both in 3 digit rifles

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys (ranchhand & fister) done hi-jacking my thread? At least give me an opinion on which would be correct for my rifle, then you can bicker if the BC got messed up by the extra stakings.

So far everyone believes it to be the top one in my scan, so I would like to begin looking for one that is priced right, if that is the unanimous decision.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:26:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Yes, the top one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yes, the top one.

Thank you.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top