Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/15/2008 4:16:42 PM EDT
I am having some problems with a bushy 11.5 in bbl on a Car-15 retro I put together really did not build it, Bushy did the work.  I was wondering what I can expect @ 200 plus meters?  The zero was not perfect, but I have seen worse and expected better groups @ 25M and 200 M.  I was using rem factory 55 ball, and wolf 55 gr ball & HP.  I will go and try again it was a very hot day in FT Polk, Lousianna.  

Big question:  Am I expecting too much from it?

Mike
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Um...what kind of groups are you getting?

Are there any signs of the bullet striking the flash hider?

Do you have a scope mounted, or detachable irons or a fixed carry handle?

Help us out a bit, there are a lot of things that can cause poor accuracy, we need some details to help narrow down the problem.

If there are no obvious signs of bullet strike on the flash hider, I would check the optics or sights and make sure they are tightened down secure.  On some occasions with optics the crosshairs will come loose, and can make a rifle taht shoots fine look like it has terrible accuracy.  same thing with loose mounts on optics or BUIS taht bolt on to a rail.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#2]
There are no visible marks on the flashhider, the ammo seems to be okay.  brass looks fine after firing.  I am using iron sights, however, I have been in the Army (mos 11C4F7) scince 1989 so undertand the use of both the A1&A2 sights.  The four position castle nut was loose after firing so was the pistol grip.  That could be it, but they were not noticablly loose until I put the appropriate wrench on each.  Might be it right there, and could be me tired of the heat.

I will retighten, would like to know the right lbs for both, then would like to know the average acuracy I could or should get.

the groups were just a bit more than an inch at 25M.  Which with an A2 zero target US Army style should be okay if you get three groups of three in it.  

Has to be the loose stock & hand grip.

OBTW,  I am no sniper per say but ussually shoot an expert to low sharpshooter my whole carrer.

I just want to know once straighted out what I can get with standard ammo.

Thank you for writing me back.

oh and it is the bushy a1 upper so very fixed iron sights.

mike
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Good lord, 1" at 25 yards should be just fine for irons! For me that would be a real good day at the range!

If you are shooting those groups i would say there is nothing wrong with the barrel, other than it may like a certain brand more than then ones you are using for the ultimate accuracy.  I honestly think you are going to need to handload to do much better than that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:19:00 AM EDT
[#4]
mjs1911_2000,
Without more data (rifle twist-rate-? vs. bullet-weight) I would tend to believe that the one-inch-spread at 25-M was due to the effect of "heat-waves" (optical-illusion) between firing position and target causing the spread (?). (IE: You said it was a very-hot day at Ft. Polk, LA.).

Also, at age 45-50 (or about) our eyesight starts to change for a lot of people........requiring the use of glasses.

The one-inch or less at 25-M zero should allow you to hit man-size targets out to at least 300-M with that 11.5" Bdl..

Regards, RichardS in MI.
[email protected]
US Army 1968-1989
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#5]
You could be right.  It was very hot that day and I had already zeroed my "cool guy" AR with expensive optics and better than average parts.   I will use my shooting glasses and tighten everything up and try again with the low end stuff and some better factory ammo.  (got 2x boxes of black hills 55 gr. FMJ)

I am not sure 1" groups @ 25 are that adequate, but the Army does.  When the day is right for me I can do a dime sized group with an Army Colt M-4, or M16A2.  Again this does not make me a better than others shooter, because at range with Iron sights I miss the 300M E-type about 50% of the time and the 250m E-type is the one that keeps me from expert most times because it show up enough in the course of fire to separate a SS from an EXP.  (for those that know the Army's Transition fire tables)

I jus thought buy buying civilian and using Quality companies I might get the same or better accuracy out of my rifles.  I am not going to Get and "borrow" some green tip ammo from Uncle Sam.  All you other Active Guys know that is a NO-GO.

I do thank you all for your input so I best go out and try again and update you all.

Any one got a down loadable car 15 manual?

My bbl says B MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 H BAR

thanks,

Mike

I do take constructive criticism well.

OBTW: how do attach a pix will send the gun / data for others that are in the same boat or interested?

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#6]
fixed it... No problems,   the learning point is tighten everything to spec then shoot check the tightness get back to scec.  Accuraccy was good to 200M @ Fort Polk a KD range with a gong @ 250 10 of 10 with a good 25m zero it is all great.  for all those not @ FT polk the "gong"  is a 18"x18" steel plate hung on chain.  I used Rem factory 55 gr. soo yes the little BBL can give good accuracy.  Just do your PMI, PCC's, & PMCS.  (all US ARMY will Know)

All is good

Mike

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top