Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/30/2008 2:11:08 AM EDT
I am about to take on My first build ever!, I am a reloader,and My loads are EXTREMELY Accurate . but building a rifle ? well I am starting right here, If you all would help me in what  I need , what brands are good and what companies are fair with a  respectful product, I am going to buy one step at a time. So if you can help and do not mind stupid questions please let me know where to start, I really like the look of the older A1 with the 20 inch barrel, I would not mind a bull barrel of some sort, and a real nice twist I want it for shooting Coyotes here in Central GA. on my hunting club.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IIRC, The only "retros" with heavy barrels were the SAW variant, and an expierimental early sniper model. (there's a pic of one in the Knight's collection)

I was entertaining the same idea of a HB retro, something like this should be pretty easy to do:

Just put a HBAR with a 1/7 or 1/9 on an A1 upper receiver, with a partial fence lower from those great guys at NDS, add a scope/mount and your choice of aftermarket trigger.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 5:37:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Just put a HBAR with a 1/7 or 1/9 on an A1 upper receiver, with a partial fence lower from those great guys at NDS, add a scope/mount and your choice of aftermarket trigger.  

+1

Most of the site sponsors will do you right.
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've been toying with the idea of doing a 656 (?) version with a Leatherwood ART for sh#ts and giggles.

Can you still get a Leatherwood with a carry handle mount?  That would be a neat project.  I'll put that in the lineup after NDS-31, XM177E1, 602 and 607...
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've been toying with the idea of doing a 656 (?) version with a Leatherwood ART for sh#ts and giggles.

Link Posted: 6/30/2008 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]
that sounds great , now is the barrel kind of like a bull barrel ? and also isn`t  a 1 in 7 twist kind of regular, should I go with a thinner barrel and get a higher twist ? ./
Please excuse my stupidity but I cannot find the  Knight's collection you referred to. and after all of these dumb questions is it possible to find a parts list for the rifle in question ?
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#8]
HBAR barrels are just that - heavy barrels - under the HGs. The regular A2 slims down to a gov't profile under the HGs - about a pound difference IIRC. HBARs are easy to find - there are a couple on the EE right now I think. A member here had a like new Colt HBAR for sale recently on the EE. Another option for you would be the Tasco rubber armored scopes Colt used on the Delta models - although it wouldn't be accurate historically for a VN era build, they can be found very reasonably priced and are pretty good for what they are. 3-9 x 40 IIRC. I sold an HBAR barrelled A1 upper about 6 months ago that I was going to do the same thing with, but I went in a different direction. Never did put any rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I want a 656 upper and front sight block. That looks cool
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
that sounds great , now is the barrel kind of like a bull barrel ? and also isn`t  a 1 in 7 twist kind of regular, should I go with a thinner barrel and get a higher twist ? ./
Please excuse my stupidity but I cannot find the  Knight's collection you referred to. and after all of these dumb questions is it possible to find a parts list for the rifle in question ?

Well, after you pick up your lower from NDS.

A kit, like this one offered here at Del-Ton, will get you headed in the right direction.

They use a 1/9 heavy barrel that you can get either chrome lined or not.

You can also change the flash hider and upper receiver to an A1, right from Del-Ton.

Then just add a good drop in trigger,  like a Timney and you're good to go.

Then if you wanted to get closer to the retro feeling, all you would have to do is change out the furniture for A1 stuff later on.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 5:50:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks this is what I will start on !! and thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I have an upper now , I Almost had a lower receiver with the kit , but there is two counties in FL , that require a five day waiting period even if you are law enforcement and have a concealed permit , I was on vacation for  a week and did not have enough time to buy it when I found it !!! SO now I am looking for the 20 inch barrel and the older model stocks ( triangular ones,) and then so on and so on , should I be posting this in this group or what
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IIRC, The only "retros" with heavy barrels were the SAW variant, and an expierimental early sniper model. (there's a pic of one in the Knight's collection)

I was entertaining the same idea of a HB retro, something like this should be pretty easy to do:
i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/crackedcornish/model655sniperriflejb6.jpg

I had J&T Distributing get together a kit for my son's build a couple of years back, and with an old Weaver V7 on a carry handle mount, looks just like the picture. Used a heavy barrel, and an A2 lower, but an NDS XM lower would make it near identical. And it performs wonderfully in the field.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Model 1 Sales has new triangular handguards for $25/set.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Not so fast with a HBAR and A1 handguards.  A while back I thought about doing just that and IIRC, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the A1 handguards wouldn't work with the full length heavy barrel.  I seem to remember the heavy barrel was too fat to allow the handguards to close correctly.  I guess a remedy would be to remove the heat shields but that seems to be a less than optimal solution as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I sure need to know this before I buy the barrel ,
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh, hell!
Next thing you know Mike an' them will be turning out 656 uppers before I get my current projects done!
A truly TERRIBLE problem to have, huh?
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 5:24:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Ok, I was wrong here.  I just took my A2 with a Bushmaster heavy barrel and tried putting on a set of A1 handguards.  Other than fighting that damn slip ring (I have GOT to get myself one of those handguard tools!!!) they did go on with no problem.  I stand corrected, A1 handguards WILL work just fine with an A2 heavy barrel. Sorry for dropping the ball on that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#19]
no problem, now all i have to do is find a good deal on a heavy barrel , I do not exactly have cash falling out of my pockets !!
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:04:58 AM EDT
[#20]
I just finished my rebuild of this rifle , it looks great ( to me anyway) I just painted it Colt Grey ,
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll291/McCahillBilly/goodview.jpg
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll291/McCahillBilly/flipsidefinished.jpg
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:18:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Speaking of HB's....here is mine..modeled after the SAW variant.

Link Posted: 9/21/2008 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Nicely Done!  What kind of coat did you use to paint it?  I was considering on doing something like that to some parts until I can find the originals or have a copy redone to grey.  I like this HBAR idea..... excellent...
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#23]
I used Dura Coat, Colt Grey , I am just learning how to paint , so i used more than i should have , but i did get 8 oz anyway , it only takes a few !
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Excellent job!

Get yourself an old Colt 20 round mag and you'll be set
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#25]
What you have built is a clone of the Model 606 Heavy Barrel rifle. Except for the flash hider, A2 lower, and MagPul magazine, it is correct. The Model 606 did not come with a mounted bipod as did the Model 606B or Model 621. The Model 606B used an M14 style bipod and the Model 621 used an M60 style bipod. Like the Model 606, the Model 655 and Model 656 did not come with bipods. The Model 655 was a standard M16A1 with a heavy barrel and a Leatherwood ART scope mounted on the carry handle. The Model 656 was known as the Sniper and was the first flat top model offered by Colt. It also came with a Leatherwood ART scope.

If you want to upgrade your rifle to be more correct just replace the birdcage with a 2nd generation three prong flash hider and swap out that MagPul magazine with a GI 20 round mag.

Don't worry about the 1/9 twist. Unless you are shooting 70+ grain bullets it will shoot anything up to 62 grains very accurately.

I really like the Model 606, while heavy it feels stiffer and more substantial than the lighter standard M16A1 profile barrel.

You have a nice rifle there, good job!
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks good, but lose the PMag and scuff up that shiny finish a bit (it is a tad too glossy).
Link Posted: 9/21/2008 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#27]
yeah your right, but it is just a coat of oil on the stock, it is scratched up , it is off of am older M16 I bought it from Sir Plus , look it up its a great site for old original surplus equp.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top