Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2008 8:59:40 AM EDT
A three-prong flash hider or an A1 birdcage flash hider, about the '66-67 time frame?  I'm building up an XM16E1 repro using a refurbed M16A1 upper, but my research shows both types .

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The Variation Guide says the improved three prong flash suppressor was used from 1963 through part of 1967 on XM16E1's early M16A1's.  Soon after M16A1 production and just prior to chrome being added to the M16A1 chamber the birdcage was used.  So, I guess the answer to your question is either one would be appropriate, probably one not more appropriate than the other.  That is good, since now you get to pick the one that looks better to you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 10:29:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd use the 3-prong for the sexy factor.

I agree with you on sexy, Mike, especially since I'm using an NDS lower.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Most of 1969 (II-Corps area with US Army) I carried a later-style 3-prong flash-hider ......... easy to snap-open the wire-band on a case of C-Rations in the field. About late-summer/early-fall we exchanged weapons for the upgraded "Bird-Caged Flash-Hider" M16A1.

You have to take those "charts" of when something was issued/modified with a "grain-of-salt"........some of the units didn't have their weapons "up-graded" until later than those dates.
I suspect that those chart "issue-dates" may have been a starting-point (?)....or possibly when "DEPOT" was suppose to have things done or an MWO completed (?)......but can only guess.

All I know is that we were an regular Infantry unit in the "bush"....and that rifle slept with me nightly.
Regards, RichardS in MI.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top