Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 1:11:14 PM EDT
Hi Guys!
I found what I believe to be a colt carbine barrel assembly but it is marked on the front of the barrel forward of the front sight assembly on the top of the barrel behind the muzzle nut c mp chrome bore. I am used to seeing this marking in that location but on the bottom not the top side of the barrel. I havn't had a close look inside it yet but am hoping it is 1/12 twist. Anybody know what I found? Thanks for any assistance barrel ID Gods!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgot to mention it is a pencil style barrel.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the carbine parts thread at the top - It mentions that both 1:12 and 1:7 early 723 barrels were marked that way. Seems to me I remember someone who knows mentioning that the 1:7 were marked that way on top to provide a small difference. If it IS a 1:7 pencil barrel, you have a rare bird.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll also add that it appears to be colt gray in color rather than black.
I did have a look at the variation guides both here and on black rifle and none address the location or how to tell the two apart other than looking inside and I'm not certain I'm good enough to tell by looking at the twist inside.
Many thanks for the reply.anyone else?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one but it is marked 1/7 on top.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Now I'm curious ..I want the 1/12 twist but given the rarity of the 1/7 twist what is the going price on one of those?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:38:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hi Guys!
I found what I believe to be a colt carbine barrel assembly but it is marked on the front of the barrel forward of the front sight assembly on the top of the barrel behind the muzzle nut c mp chrome bore. I am used to seeing this marking in that location but on the bottom not the top side of the barrel. I havn't had a close look inside it yet but am hoping it is 1/12 twist. Anybody know what I found? Thanks for any assistance barrel ID Gods!

All the late "Chrome Bore" marked barrels are marked on top.  Also, is the piece 14 1/2 inches or 16 inches?  If 16", it's almost certainly an SP1 or SP2 pull off and almost certainly 1 in 12.  14 1/2" could be either.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hi Guys!

Can you post a picture?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:02:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll try to get the item today and post pics ..sounds like either way its a win win for me..we shall see....Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Well this guy has gone from hungry to sell to playing games I think. I should have thrown my money at him when it was in front of me and he was good to sell it. I just didn't know for sure what the twist was. I wanted 1/12. Well see if he decides to get back to me.....crickets....
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well this guy has gone from hungry to sell to playing games I think. I should have thrown my money at him when it was in front of me and he was good to sell it. I just didn't know for sure what the twist was. I wanted 1/12. Well see if he decides to get back to me.....crickets....

He'll be posting on here any minute now..."Can anyone tell me what this barrel is worth???"...  
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top