Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2008 6:22:21 AM EDT
Looking for some insight from you retro guys.  I have a 30,000 serial number Colt SP1 that I bought about 15 years ago.  The gun has had exactly 20 rounds fired thru it.  I bought it from the original owner who ran one magazine thru the rifle when he bought it in 1974.  The gun is in pristine condition and it's hard to tell it was ever fired.  Lately I've had the urge to shoot the gun.  Would I be foolish to start shooting this rifle?  I don't follow the SP1 market and wonder if I would devalue the gun greatly by running a few hundred rounds thru it?  What would you guys do?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want to shoot it, shoot the damn thing!

Yes, it may devlue it very slightly, but it is still going to be worth a whole lot more than what you paid for it, and moreover, unless you are planning on selling it real soon it doesn't make any sense to be afraid to shoot a firearm.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:35:45 AM EDT
[#2]
That thing was made for shooting, go for it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#3]
You need one for the safe, one to tickle and finger, and one to shoot.

Seriously shoot it !

Hal
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot it, that's what it was meant to do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I'll shoot the rifle.......and not feel bad about it.  I was leaning towards this, but just wondered what some of you guys would do.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
My SP1 is my favorite gun by far.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#7]
As General Sline once said, "A weapon unused is a useless weapon".
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Hah, some good answers. What they said.

For real though, I have one like that and I don't shoot it. I have one to shoot and one to finger.  And of course, some retros that I fire. You could damn near sell it and buy two shooters for what it may be worth. Or just build a retro and shoot it like you stole it and keep that one in the safe. Or not........  
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 6:31:04 PM EDT
[#9]
If your worried about marking up the outside of the rec. Just get some nice thick electrical tape, and put an inch piece just back from the port door, and a small square where the port door makes contact with the lower. Peel and throw away when your done shooting. The mark left where the shells hit, can lower the value depending on how severe it is. Just my .01Cent......
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I do shoot my 1973 s/n 21xxx SP1, not a whole lot, but it does go to the range. Like the others said, shoot it.

The tape on the reciever sounds like a pretty good idea too.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top