User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/22/2007 7:00:13 PM EDT
Gone for good?

Any other sources?

How about VG to EX condition used M16A1 uppers?

I'm trying to build my service rifle and apparently waited too long to pull the trigger on an upper.

Thanks.

Corey
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
They have been gone for at least 6 months....ht
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yeah, they're long sold out.

Gone for good? The kits they sold were from M16A1's being brought out of reserves and reconfigured into A2's. Many, like the kit I got, looked like brand new, never been used. Most likely there are no more hiding anywhere.

Keep an eye open in EE, sometimes something comes up. Also keep an eye open in the for sale section of other gun boards you might frequent.

With a little looking around you'll find what you want, but the best prices and best deals are history.

Good luck and be sure to post pics!
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They have been gone for at least 6 months....
might want to check out the EE

Was than an antagonistic response?

I hope not.

Please check our member dates and post counts (over the years -- in my case a decade).

Corey
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Gone for good? The kits they sold were from M16A1's being brought out of reserves and reconfigured into A2's. Many, like the kit I got, looked like brand new, never been used. Most likely there are no more hiding anywhere.

Keep an eye open in EE, sometimes something comes up. Also keep an eye open in the for sale section of other gun boards you might frequent.

With a little looking around you'll find what you want, but the best prices and best deals are history.

Thanks for the info.

What about these uppers?

gunnyssurplus.com/m16a1-up.html
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out Gunny's Surplus.

ETA: Oops, you beat me to it.  I bought some stocks from them and was happy.  Don't know about the uppers, though.
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The price is about what I've been seeing lately and the picture looks like a couple of nice units, but I have no idea about dealing with that company.
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 7:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They have been gone for at least 6 months....

+1 on the . CDNN has been sold out for so long, it surprised me as well you asked about them. Other than the link you posted, Ohio Ordnance is the only other vendor I know of. Other than that, gunbroker or the EE as mentioned. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 7:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#9]
tag
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
c
Link Posted: 12/22/2007 9:12:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you for the link.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 5:16:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I picked up an upper from Gunny.  I would buy from him again.  I told him what I wanted on the phone and I received just what I wanted.  The upper receiver was refinished black, and had a brand new Colt barrel.  Tried to buy from Ohio, but the people didn't seem to know much about their material, and was told they shipped what every they pulled from their inventory, and refused to hand select for a Colt.  Their price was more and their service seem to suck, so I went with Gunny.  I am happy with my upper and I am a very picky person.
Regards
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info.

What about these uppers?

gunnyssurplus.com/m16a1-up.html

Go here and scroll down to my last post for pics.

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=353395
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 7:10:06 AM EDT
[#14]
That sounds great Joe! I have to say I'd never heard of Gunny until this thread. Will have to poke around and see what he's selling that I can't live without.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Here is an upper I won on Auction Arms in 2004.  It was originally bought from CDNN.

It now resides on top of a Tactics A1 lower.

Mint condition with cosmoline still on it!
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 7:35:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I picked up an upper from Gunny.  I would buy from him again.  I told him what I wanted on the phone and I received just what I wanted.  The upper receiver was refinished black, and had a brand new Colt barrel.  Tried to buy from Ohio, but the people didn't seem to know much about their material, and was told they shipped what every they pulled from their inventory, and refused to hand select for a Colt.  Their price was more and their service seem to suck, so I went with Gunny.  I am happy with my upper and I am a very picky person.
Regards

Same here but I had a different experience.  

On the phone, I specifically asked for original finish, no stampings/engravings, chrome lined bbls, and was told that they where in great shape with only minor wear on the high points.  If I bought the EXC it would be even better, so I ordered one of each. Also ordered a Colt BCG in "like-new" condition.  Well.. nothing was in the shape we agreed upon, worn, refinished upper, bent/rusty ejection port covers, non chrome bbls, stamped and engraved uppers, etc... Also, the BCG was not Colt (Navy Smith Ent) and was not in "like-new" condition.  Needless to say I was disappointed.  When I called and asked what happened, I was told well those were the best and with 500 to go through and a gun show stuff happens.. offered my money back with no problems (minus $58 shipping) and was pleasent (should be, they were at fault), but would have never ordered if they were honest about the condition up front!

Good luck to all that buy there, I hope you fair better than I did.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure glad I bought my CDNN upper when I did! Should have bought more though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm sure glad I bought my CDNN upper when I did! Should have bought more though.

Don't rub it in.  

I saw them on there for a long time and was just about ready to pull the trigger last summer.  Now....

Any other source for these NIB M16A1 take-offs?  Any chance CDNN will ever get another supply?

Thanks everyone.

Corey
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Back in the good ol days you used to be able to buy these all day on Ebay for pretty decent.  I picked one up for about $275 shipped with bolt about 4 years ago.  Nice colt marked upper upper with new barrel and furniture thats been atop of my Sp-1 ever since.  Havent shot a whole lot of rounds throug it since im trying to keep it nice but it works geat.  But like everyone else has said they are getting harder to come by...

Turk
Link Posted: 12/23/2007 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I had two extra that I posted on the E&E awhile back. Only one person showed interest, and then backed out at the last minute. My asking price was what I originally paid for them from CDNN.hough
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#21]
What happened to the CDNN M16A1 uppers?

Shotgun News ran an article on how easy it was to build a "retro" service rifle, complete with pics and names of suppliers.  CDNN was sold out in just over a week.
Link Posted: 12/24/2007 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#22]
didnt sarco have some A1 complete uppers or are they long gone too?
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 3:46:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Sarco still advertises them. But from what I"ve heard it's rather hit or miss on condition.
Link Posted: 12/25/2007 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish I would have known about that deal.

However I did buy a couple of FAL kits when they were $149.00 dollars shipped.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
Sarco still advertises them. But from what I"ve heard it's rather hit or miss on condition.

I just had an e-mail from Sarco this morning; they have "A1" uppers in stock with brass deflectors, and the Colt uppers are out of stock.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I picked up 3 of the Colt uppers from CDNN when they had them a while back. They were new. 2 are still in the box. Picked up 1 from Ohio Ord. It was refinished in black and had an excellent FN barrel on it. If you want to build your own, CMMG has new production 20" lightweight 1x12 and 1x7 twist barrels.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Went to gunny supply this afternoon, price on upper was $245. Came back tonight price went up $50, hah, WTF ?  They did have just the right hand HG NIW for a 5 spot though. I need a set of triangle HGs
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1, Sold my A2 upper NOS Colt, kept the same in A1,
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Went to gunny supply this afternoon, price on upper was $245. Came back tonight price went up $50, hah, WTF ?  They did have just the right hand HG NIW for a 5 spot though. I need a set of triangle HGs

They didn't really go up...he always had the option of getting one in excellent condition for an extra $50.  Apparently, he ran out of the ones in "good' condition, so only the excellent ones are left.  One poster ran some pics of one of the good ones, and it looked pretty good, so the excellect ones must look great.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 5:20:01 AM EDT
[#30]
I have an M16A1 upper on the way from Ohio Ordnance.  From what I was told, these are NOS... never fired original finish Colt uppers.  I'm expecting this to be a twin to the CDNN upper I bought a few years ago.  It's scheduled to arrive the end of this week... I'll give a detailed review and comparison when I get it.

Price from Ohio Ord was $310 and if it's as nice as the CDNN uppers, I'll be very happy paying it.

Scot
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have an M16A1 upper on the way from Ohio Ordnance.  From what I was told, these are NOS... never fired original finish Colt uppers.  I'm expecting this to be a twin to the CDNN upper I bought a few years ago.  It's scheduled to arrive the end of this week... I'll give a detailed review and comparison when I get it.

Price from Ohio Ord was $310 and if it's as nice as the CDNN uppers, I'll be very happy paying it.

Scot

Should be nice, since they're advertising them as unfired.  I don't know about those, but other stuff I've seen from OO has been top notch.
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I got an "M-16A1" upper from OOW back in June, turns out it was/is an XM-16E1 upper assembly from about '67-'69 (All Colt, so no problems there!). No chrome and a repaint, but at some point in the near future I'm going to pair it with a NDS lower and still be happy!
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I got an "M-16A1" upper from OOW back in June, turns out it was/is an XM-16E1 upper assembly from about '67-'69 (All Colt, so no problems there!). No chrome and a repaint, but at some point in the near future I'm going to pair it with a NDS lower and still be happy!

The OOW uppers do not have chrome what?  Bore, chamber or both?

And repaint?  Is that a factory refurb or aftermarket by OOW?  (Why the need for a repaint on an unfired upper?)

Thanks,

Corey
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Here's the ad from OOW...

"M16-A1 Upper Assembly. No bolt, carrier or charging handle. Excellent condition, never been fired. There may be scratches and nicks."

I'm going to be using the upper and flat delta ring for a 653 clone (along with a Bushy superlight barrel) and the 1-12 barrel is going on an extra A2 upper to be used with a Ciener .22lr kit.  Nothing's going to waste.

US Anodizing will be refinishing either the upper or my lower (plus all the other aluminum) depending on the finish of the upper.

Like I said, I'll let you know when the big brown truck arrives on Thursday.

Scot
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Here's the ad from OOW...

"M16-A1 Upper Assembly. No bolt, carrier or charging handle. Excellent condition, never been fired. There may be scratches and nicks."

I'm going to be using the upper and flat delta ring for a 653 clone (along with a Bushy superlight barrel) and the 1-12 barrel is going on an extra A2 upper to be used with a Ciener .22lr kit.  Nothing's going to waste.

US Anodizing will be refinishing either the upper or my lower (plus all the other aluminum) depending on the finish of the upper.

Like I said, I'll let you know when the big brown truck arrives on Thursday.

Scot

Please let me know.  OOW has said that they are "original Vietnam era" (I asked if they were Colt take-offs).

I'm waiting to hear back from them on the "repaint" and chrome issue.

But let us know what you end up receiving.

Thanks,

Corey
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#36]
M16A1 upper halves are out there.  I posted a WTB for an M16A1 upper receiver (not upper half) and got two offers to sell M16A1 upper halfs and a tip on where to find them
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#37]
OOW just got back to me that these are full chrome and original finish.

Corey
Link Posted: 1/15/2008 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Yeah, we're so happy for ya we could just sh^t a gold brick........

Link Posted: 1/16/2008 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Well my Ohio Ord M16A1 upper came a day early...  here's my observations and opinion...

Bottom line - the OOW upper is not as advertised.

ORIGINAL FINISH?
NOPE.  The receiver and delta ring have been refinished (painted?) black.  Inside, the receiver is a beautiful anodized gray... all other parts have original finish.  The refinish job was done either prior to assembly or with the rifle disassembled.  If this was going on a black A2 lower it would look very nice.  I have no idea why this would be refinished like this.

UNFIRED?
Wrong again.  This upper has seen rounds through it, however, it doesn't appear many were fired.  The bore is in excellent condition... and no wear is visible inside the receiver... the only obvious indication this has been fired is some "soot" on the gas tube (behind the sight block and inside the upper).  

CHOME BORE / CHAMBER
Yes.  Barrel is marked C MP B (so this would be an early 70s upper).  The barrel is very nice.

OVERALL CONDITION
The upper has some dings and scratches (present before refinishing).  Overall not bad.  The tips of the sight ears are missing a little finish and the forward assist is missing a little parkerizing on the outer edge.  One of the handguards has a 1/2" crack in it.  The sling swivel coating is cracked off in several places.  I think these are all handling / storage issues, not damage from actual usage.  "Like New or excellent"?  No way.  Very good?  Yes.

I bought this upper to tear apart and refinish so I'm happy enough with it.  Is it as nice as the CDNN upper I have?  Not even close.

Scot

Link Posted: 1/16/2008 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Scot

Got one coming too, should be here Monday. Will post the results.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Well my Ohio Ord M16A1 upper came a day early...  here's my observations and opinion...

ORIGINAL FINISH?
NOPE.  The receiver and delta ring have been refinished (painted?) black.  Inside, the receiver is a beautiful anodized gray... all other parts have original finish.  The refinish job was done either prior to assembly or with the rifle disassembled.  If this was going on a black A2 lower it would look very nice.  I have no idea why this would be refinished like this.

UNFIRED?
Wrong again.  This upper has seen rounds through it, however, it doesn't appear many were fired.  The bore is in excellent condition... and no wear is visible inside the receiver... the only obvious indication this has been fired is some "soot" on the gas tube (behind the sight block and inside the upper).  

CHOME BORE / CHAMBER
Yes.  Barrel is marked C MP B (so this would be an early 70s upper).  The barrel is very nice.

OVERALL CONDITION
The upper has some dings and scratches (present before refinishing).  Overall not bad.  The tips of the sight ears are missing a little finish and the forward assist is missing a little parkerizing on the outer edge.  One of the handguards has a 1/2" crack in it.  The sling swivel coating is cracked off in several places.  I think these are all handling / storage issues, not damage from actual usage.  "Like New or excellent"?  No way.  Very good?  Yes.

I bought this upper to tear apart and refinish so I'm happy enough with it.  Is it as nice as the CDNN upper I have?  Not even close.

Scot

I wouldn't put up with that.  It said original finish and I would make them eat it.

$310 is too much to pay.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ORIGINAL FINISH?

UNFIRED?

CHOME BORE / CHAMBER

OVERALL CONDITION

Scot

I wouldn't put up with that.  It said original finish and I would make them eat it.

$310 is too much to pay.

+1. there is a code of ethics amongst gun traders. If you let it slide, it will continue to get worse. That upper should be way less than $310, no matter if they tried to cover up the boogers. It was not as described. Has anyone gotten an upper from gunnyssurplus ?
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Here is my OOW upper purchased last December.

The condition is almost exactly of how Shal1 described it from above.

- A few, light handling marks.

- Colt receiver (letter "C" in a box marking).

- SAK MP chrome barrel.

- Yes, it does seem to have been fired.

- Definitely re-finished. In what, I don't know. Epoxy type paint would be my best guess. It comes fairly close to matching my Bushmaster lower.

- Handguards are mint; absolutely flawless.

- Overall I'm satisfied, although I wish it were left in its original anodized state.

A few rushed photos to give you an idea of the condition:

Link Posted: 1/17/2008 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#45]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

The OOW uppers do not have chrome what?  Bore, chamber or both?

And repaint?  Is that a factory refurb or aftermarket by OOW?  (Why the need for a repaint on an unfired upper?)

Thanks,

Corey

Hi, Corey!
No chrome, PERIOD.
Numbah 10.
Niether bore or chamber, shades of Ia Drang through Tet. The re-paint SEEMS to be .gov according to what I have seen. A few posts above, the entire upper and all parts are black black BLACK. My upper at least had the sights, FA and door assembly removed before "painting".  Slip ring is PURPLE (Ugh.) My upper appears to have been fired, but not a lot, which is good for me, I guess!
Well, the dark-grey "Aluma-HydeII" will be here next week, and then I'll pst pics (hopefully!) of what my "retro" looks lke....ETA: Carb cleaner did NOT!!!!! remove the "black" finish from the upper reciever!
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 2:28:30 PM EDT
[#46]
That looks like the same black paint that is used on Gov't rebuilt M16 types from Anniston...
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't feel I overpaid ($310) for this upper.  How much would a new (or nearly new) 20" chrome lined government profile Colt barrel cost?  How about a nearly new complete Colt upper?  Keep in mind these might be old and have handling marks... but they are still super high quality parts that will look awesome refinished.  Mine looks just like the one in the picture.
I also don't feel Ohio Ord was being purposefully misleading.  I'm sure they didn't refinish these to fool anyone... from what mine looks like, a great deal of care was taking in the refinish process... as someone else suggested, this probably was an armory job.  I have a friend with an FFL (my BEST friend obviously) who does business with OOW... they are a reputable company which is why I bought from them.

If $310 is way too much, just tell me where to get one for less in this good of shape (and for something 35 + years old I think it's in great shape).  I've heard the Gunny Surplus ones are in far worse shape for $295.  The picture they have online looks good but from what I heard, that's not what you get.  I DO like the original finish (mainly because I wouldn't have to strip off the old finish).

Speaking of finish... Greg, how are you getting the black finish off without removing the anodizing??  I suspect media blasting will take these down to bare aluminum and then I'd need to get it re-anodized anyway.  I was originally going to send it to US but I might give duracoat a try instead provided I save the anodizing.

Scot
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone around MI that wants a M16A1 upper, Dealer named Doug sells new ones with the bolt/carrier/CH for $400.00 OTD. Some handling marks but factory fresh other then that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:56:23 AM EDT
[#49]
height=8
Quoted:
Anyone around MI that wants a M16A1 upper, Dealer named Doug sells new ones with the bolt/carrier/CH for $400.00 OTD. Some handling marks but factory fresh other then that.

Where in Michigan?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

email addy?

[ETA] or phone # ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top