Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2007 7:52:21 PM EDT
I know we've been through this before, but... Does anyone know who can splice a couple of demilled 601 charging handles for a reasonable price?  I've tried fooling around with all of the low-temp propane things like Weller low-temp, Durafix, Alumalloy, etc., but I give up.  I think those must be some kind of zinc brazing compounds or something.  I probably need someone good with a TIG setup to do these right, since I'm coming to the (hopefully) end of my 601 replica project.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a reproduction or save for an original.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Buy a reproduction or save for an original.

Who makes a reproduction?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to, presently I am out of business and I am aware of no other venders of these parts. SO a used reproduction seems the way to go if you want to save coin see if you can get one of the TSI repros off of someone.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't find a comparison pic of the old and new charging handles...so...is there enough "meat" on the newer handles to convert it to the old configuration??? Cut it back, groove it, etc???...  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think he is asking if it is possible to buy a current charging handle and cut it down to the old style.

Pretty much...  

I've never seen a side-by-side comparison...but I suppose if it was that simple, people wouldn't be welding dewats back together...  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I think he is asking if it is possible to buy a current charging handle and cut it down to the old style.

Pretty much...  

I've never seen a side-by-side comparison...but I suppose if it was that simple, people wouldn't be welding dewats back together...  

Yeah, Id like to see the old style sitting on top the a current one in a pic.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much...  

My mistake.

Here are some comparison photos I just took. It looks like it might work on the one side with the latch, but the other side the newer style doesn't have enough meat to it.

my best attempt at photos at 6 in the morning

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:46:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
my best attempt at photos at 6 in the morning...

Outstanding!!!    Thank You!!!  

OK, I can see where the newer handle is lacking...but I wonder if it could be reconfigured so that it *resembled* the earlier handle??? Maybe make a template and see how it looks...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my best attempt at photos at 6 in the morning...

Outstanding!!!    Thank You!!!  

OK, I can see where the newer handle is lacking...but I wonder if it could be reconfigured so that it *resembled* the earlier handle??? Maybe make a template and see how it looks...

I think it would turn out well on the one side, but the other, you might be able to follow the existing contour of the handle and put some grooves on it to mimic the 601 style.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Are there any nonstandard charging handles made that have a larger handle?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:10:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Good point! I think I have seen oversize charging handles...but due to CRS syndrome, I forget where...  

Edit: Here's a *steel* A2 charging handle...It's a lot easier to weld up a steel charging handle and machine it down than an aluminum one...price isn't bad, either...

www.gunaccessories.com/AR15-M16Parts/UpperReceiverAccess.asp
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:11:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point! I think I have seen oversize charging handles...but due to CRS syndrome, I forget where...  

I like where this is going.....
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top