Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2007 6:11:23 PM EDT
i see the barreled uppers on the EE all the time few questions ...... ive built 1 ar15 so far but...

with the older uppers can you use new lowers like stag,double star etc?

doesnt the uppers have a large hole and the new lowers have a small one? do i buy i special pin or something? for both front and rear?

BTW is colt the only ones with large holes?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#1]
the only uppers with a large hole are colt "civilian" uppers. All milspec uppers are small pin. New lowers are also small pin.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
You can use any of the modern lower receivers you want with the uppers you're finding in EE and other places.

ONLY Colt used the large pivot pin uppers and lowers in their old SP1 model. That would be the one without the forward assist and having the triangular handguards. A few years ago Colt started making their lowers with the smaller (standard) sized pivot pin.

So when you're buying that upper make sure it's a Small Hole upper and you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
so i wont need a special pin for the m16a1 upper?

thanks for the help =) i think im going "retro" ...well kinda lol

and i thought you just to buy a pin to match amall to large

heres what i was looking at.....

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=458641
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

M16A1 uppers are small hole just like any other current production upper or lower.  The large holes are found on SP1's. They don't pop as often for sale. Yes, the ones you listed are fine for what you're wanting to build....no special pin required.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 3:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

thanks for the help =) i think im going "retro" ...well kinda lol

and i thought you just to buy a pin to match amall to large

heres what i was looking at.....

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=458641

Angus6 uppers are nice, gotten 2 so far and price is good.  
Yes, small pin and can use any lower
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top