Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2007 7:48:30 PM EDT
Eight or ten years ago I bought an old green BS and PG (they didn't have any HGs) and they were really rough. So, I tried several different brands of OD Green spray paint unti I found a good match and repainted the BS, PG, and a pair of black triangle HGs. They looked great and I was tickled to death, UNTIL recently I got a great big ugly scratch on the right side HG (down to the black). Now I can't find any paint to match the rest of the rifle. If I have to repaint the whole furniture set, I'd just as soon use the correct color. Is there a fed standard, or does anyone know the correct color green? Testors model paint? Where? Who? Which?
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 4:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
KurtVF makes the correct green paint.  IM him and he'll hook you up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
KurtVF makes the correct green paint.  IM him and he'll hook you up.

Weekend Project Don't forget to thin with Enamel Thinner. You can get the thinner at Walmart.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody have some of KurtVF's green leftover from a project? I only need enough to do a set of HGs, the rest of a full bottle will go to waste if I buy a whole bottle.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]
e-mail me.  The exact size and shade is available to do a set of handguards to match original green furniture.  Original handguards are hard to find.
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The guy that is going to do my spray painting wants to know if it is automotive-type paint so he will know what type of thinner to use.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, acrylic enamel.  It is PPG Delstar DAR.  Fairly common auto body paint
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you paint them to Kurt?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Bump,  I need to paint a set of handguards soon.

FREE
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Others here have chimed in, I will say that I bought a buttstock and pistol grip from Dean on this or subguns.com then I took the furniture to a local auto paint shop and had them match it up. I paid about $200 for the paint and for someone who specialized in painting fiberglass to paint them. So I have one set of like new looking 601 clone gaurds. I don't remember the paint color though, if I have time and it's really important I can take my rifle back to the paint shop, in a bag and unloaded of course
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top