Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/15/2007 7:37:11 PM EDT
I've seen a photo of this item somewhere on the Net but can't remember where. So forgive me if it has been discussed here before.

I thought this caution sticker on the side of an early mottled M16 stock was pretty interesting and something I had never seen on an M16. Does anyone know how common these were or have any Vets of the Vietnam era seen one in service? Any other sightings anywhere else? Thanks.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ricklarson/gunphotos/large/M16%20buttstock%20warning.jpg
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen one like that before...very neat!  I would guess it was from a weapon used in training, but that's only a WAG.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never see one either but, I was active duty during M16A1 era (with trap door stocks). The wording sounds like something that would be used more in a combat area more than in a training area but, I'm just guessing.

I'd love to find one of these but, I don't think I'd stick it on my rifle.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 2:45:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Hehehe, looks like the Air Forces early answer to giving Cat. C shooters anything more dangerous than a spit wad!
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Same stock, different photo session.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#6]
i dont know about the sticker, but the first M16A1's used in vietnam w/o chrome bores and 223 loaded with crappy powder had issues with chambered rounds getting stuck in the bore if the chambered round was left in for more than a day due to the humidity effecting the powder as well as rust issues
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, same stock. It came from DeanL and my interest was originally prompted by his photo on the green towel. The sticker looks a little better in Dean's image.

I thought the whole concept of a caution sticker sounded more like a training deal but the wording sure sounds more like something from a combat zone. Dean also had some 01 green furniture including one with a 1968 Vietnam inscription scraped into it so I was suspicious it might have been a Vietnam bring-back from pile of parts removed from rebuilt or demilled guns.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#8]
o my god i want a bucket of these to put on all my guns! lol
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
o my god i want a bucket of these to put on all my guns! lol

+1! Anyone know if it'd be possible to have a repro made of these? Think wherever we went would think we were crazy?

It'd look pretty cool on an XM16E1 clone. Seriously
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Fucking retarded and people think the warning engraved on pistols today is stupid
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Fucking retarded and people think the warning engraved on pistols today is stupid

True but you gotta admit, it is pretty funny.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 2:26:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I also hate to see a nice new firearm defaced with a bunch of silly safety information for people too stupid to know which end the bullet come out of. Blame the lawyers who sue on behalf of the stupid and careless.

But the Military has been training on a "Dick and Jane" level for a long time. In WWII they had the comic book character Joe Dope teaching mechanics and ordnance safety. By Vietnam it was the shapely Connie Rodd telling troops how to lube the M151 or swab the bore. And don't forget those handy decals on the M72 LAW telling you where to point it and the raised lettering on a claymore to help you aim it toward the enemy.

As stupid as it looks, I'm planning to put it on an XM16E1, at least if we conclude it is something that might have been on the gun in combat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I also hate to see a nice new firearm defaced with a bunch of silly safety information for people too stupid to know which end the bullet come out of. Blame the lawyers who sue on behalf of the stupid and careless.

But the Military has been training on a "Dick and Jane" level for a long time. In WWII they had the comic book character Joe Dope teaching mechanics and ordnance safety. By Vietnam it was the shapely Connie Rodd telling troops how to lube the M151 or swab the bore. And don't forget those handy decals on the M72 LAW telling you where to point it and the raised lettering on a claymore to help you aim it toward the enemy.

As stupid as it looks, I'm planning to put it on an XM16E1, at least if we conclude it is something that might have been on the gun in combat.

Don't forget the "point this end towards enemy" warning on claymores.

+1! Anyone know if it'd be possible to have a repro made of these? Think wherever we went would think we were crazy?

It'd look pretty cool on an XM16E1 clone. Seriously

The was a company that makes reproduction decals for car restoration. You send them a picture, and they will duplicate it as best they can. I forget the name of the company now, but I'm sure a google search will turn it up.

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Never saw any stickers like that in VN or anywhere else during my tour.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top