Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2007 3:06:46 PM EDT
Armalite AR10B brand new reproductions. MSRP $1,985. Even has the CH in the carry handle.
Does this mean we are ahead of the curve? Now they mass produce things we scavenge for.
WE ARE TREND SETTERS!!!!

TEXT FROM AD: ARMALITE INC                 Model AR-10B Rifle     The AR-10B represents Armalites return to some of the early features that captured the imagination of millions. The AR-10B features the unique charging handle in the carry handle of the first AR-10s, brown Sudanese style furniture, elevation scale window and the famed Armalite pegasus logo. The .308 caliber AR-10B is the perfect rifle for those collectors who could only wish for an Armalite in its early days. Comes with one 10 round and one 20 round magazine, sling, owners manual and limited lifetime warranty.

I think I'll stick to the USED rifles.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice setup, although a little on the pricey side.  Wish the sold just the upper, though!
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd love to have one but they are just too modern. The grip is A2, the sights are A2, the stock is A2...eh I dunno, maybe I'm too anal.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
No, not too anal at all.  It's a sacraledge to have the A2 features and still call it "vintage".
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Armalite AR10B brand new reproductions. MSRP $1,985. Even has the CH in the carry handle.
Does this mean we are ahead of the curve? Now they mass produce things we scavenge for.
WE ARE TREND SETTERS!!!!
i186.photobucket.com/albums/x115/coctailer/AR10.jpg
TEXT FROM AD: ARMALITE INC                 Model AR-10B Rifle     The AR-10B represents Armalites return to some of the early features that captured the imagination of millions. The AR-10B features the unique charging handle in the carry handle of the first AR-10s, brown Sudanese style furniture, elevation scale window and the famed Armalite pegasus logo. The .308 caliber AR-10B is the perfect rifle for those collectors who could only wish for an Armalite in its early days. Comes with one 10 round and one 20 round magazine, sling, owners manual and limited lifetime warranty.

I think I'll stick to the USED rifles.

Welcome to 1998
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It's true they have been making this model for quite a bit longer than you thought, having just seen an ad for it.

I own one. If you have a hankering for the original AR-10s, save your money and get one of them instead.

2K for a new one? That is a rip off. If you look around there are plenty new "old stock" for sale at about $1200-$1350 from dealers and individuals who need to sell them.
$1900+ as a MSRP is shocking to me! I haven't bothered to note the steep price increase since I bought mine almost 3 years ago. I think it was about $1300. then.

Despite the flak I will get from the guys on the AR-10 forum, there is a percentage of these rifles that have reliability problems. If you buy one and have problems most of the guys on that forum will be happy to give you suggestions how to fix the problem, and the company gives a lifetime warranty.

Personally, I respect the owner of the company for his abiding interest and fiscal support of preserving the history of the rifle and even financially supporting a Dutch AR-10 website, but I am sorry I ever bought mine.

I have two "original" AR-10s - one Sudanese and one Portuguese with US made semi auto reversed engineered lowers that shoot any type of 7.62x51 ammo I put in them and work EVERY time I pull the trigger.

They don't have problems with poorly situated gas ports, gas ports drilled with out of spec diameters, faulty magazines, extractors that need Defender rings to extract, a break in period of maybe 400 rds.(no shit I heard this myself from their chief gunsmith 2 years ago while diagnosing my own AR-10B functioning problems), advice from the company that military weight bullets at 144-147 gr don't work well, etc, etc. Rifles that cost this much should not have these type of problems

I have no hard data but I feel that 10-15% of the AR-10s that leave that factory have serious issues. The guys on the neighboring forum do not accept that. Good for them, they have a right to their opinions as do I.

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Just curious, but does anyone make a lower for the parts kits that are out there...is it a problem getting U.S. compliance parts?
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Huh? US compliancy parts? I think that if it is US made in the first place then it wouldnt be subjected to any US compliancy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I would imagine that the portugese and other foreign AR10 parts kits out there are subject to 922r.  I wasn't talking about US made parts kits...sorry for the lack of clarity.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Pardon me for my ignorance. I did not realize these were out there? Could you provide a link? I would like to look into something like that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]
They show up on the auction sites from time to time.  I think there is one up on Gunbroker right now.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#12]
It's very rare to find original AR-10 parts kits anymore.
Not impossible, but probably harder to find than the US compliant rifles that were made on the imported barreled uppers and US made lowers in the eighties.

Print information from various sources: Maj Sam Pikula, Blake/Ezells Black Rifle book, etc. seem to agree that aside from about 50 original AR-10s made in Hollywood, CA. about 1956-57, Artillerie Inrichtigen made almost 10,000 of them under license in Holland before production completely stopped sometime in 1961.

Of that number, many imported to Australia were destroyed as a result of the drastic change in firearms ownership laws there. Maj. Pikula estimated 1500-2500 were destroyed just in Australia, which had a market for them as cheap 308 rifles, either select fire or with the auto sears removed, about 30-40 years ago. And most of the AR-10s  used in Africa by the Portuguese commandos, and  most used in South America by a few countries, are gone.

Probably less than 5,000 original AR-10s are left in the world. Of that number, some are the kit rifles that we were discusing.
Some of the kit rifles were culled from left over parts at the factory bought up and sold by the European company SIDEM.

So there are very few of these great old rifles around. They are few and far between.
If somebody has seen an original AR-10 kit for sale on Gunbroker and they don't want it for themselves, please contact me by instant message or by my email, which can be found in my membership profile. I would probably be interested in buying it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#13]
HI have one - well the upper.  And it is awesome!  kicks like a mule because it's so light but, I really enjoy it and its been completely reliable.  Wish I could say the same about my DPMS TAC20.

Next step is to paint all the furniture green (A1 buttstock and p-grip) to make it look like the "Bernhalt Presentation" Dutch AR10.  The only other mod would be to install a sideways locked ARMS #2 and mount a Hensoldt Model 1 on it, and maybe a custom tri prong flash hider.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top