Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2007 4:33:14 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a source for non forward assist bolt carrier's?I need one for an SP1 clone.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Fulton Armory has them for $150 but if you're building a regular (not early) SP1 clone, it should have a BC with forward assist serrations. But then again, it's your gun and it's up to you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah,the upper I'm getting is an early non fa one so I want to keep it as "real"looking as possible.Is the $150 a good price?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yeah,the upper I'm getting is an early non fa one so I want to keep it as "real"looking as possible.Is the $150 a good price?

Seeing as how Fulton is the only place (that I know of, other than OLD Colt BC's which are almost impossible to find) that has them, yes $150 is good.

Also, for comparison, new DPMS chrome BCG's are about $150-160.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I'll have to bite the bullet then.Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I guess I'll have to bite the bullet then.Thanks for the link.

No problem. But be sure to post pics of the SP1! Got any now?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]
It's still in the parts gathering stage.I've got an upper locked in and new HG's,buttstock,and pistol grip.I,like you,am waiting patiently for the NDS receiver's to come out.Early pics look good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Last thing I heard was the Fulton's carriers are simply stock DPMS pieces, and if so, you might want to look for an  early Colt. They are out there.

Two reasons for this. 1) Internet rumor has it that DPMS isn't making the thing any more, though you could call and check that. 2)The DPMS chrome carrier I once owned for a couple of weeks was the crappiest looking thing I ever saw. Full of tool marks and gouges.  Others have posted similar comments.

Not trying to put you off anything, but it wasn't hard for me to find an original Colt smoothside bolt/carrier assy awhile back, and I periodically see them in the EE section of this site. Prices are usually a bit higher than I paid two years ago, b/c of all the interest in the early stuff these days, but it wouldn't cost a whole lot more than the repro.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm putting together a USAF 604 and found a smooth sided on EE but my service rifle, from years ago, had serations even without FA.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#9]
If anything, it should be cheaper than a grooved FA version as a manufacturing step is omitted. Certainly the demand is lower but other than a unique part number & inventory label, there is no additional cost to making these. Perhaps a group buy request is needed.

I'll sign on for one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Call DPMS.  They used to sell slick-sided carriers in both manganese phosphate and chrome finishes.  They were never listed on their website, so call and talk to a human.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm putting together a USAF 604 and found a smooth sided on EE but my service rifle, from years ago, had serations even without FA.

This is very common.  Most M16's without FA and SP1s(none, by definition have FA)had serrated carriers.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top