Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2006 3:37:08 PM EDT
Triangular or the newer charging handle?

Chrome bolt carrier and bolt?

See, two quick questions...so quick I didn't even formulate complete sentences!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
New charging handle, either chrome or not on the b/bc.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
New charging handle, either chrome or not on the b/bc.

I would go with chrome just because it's a USAF rifle.

But that's just me
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:06:50 PM EDT
[#3]
That's what I'm holding out for. A chrome, notchless bolt carrier assembly.

Also either the 3 prong or the A1 flash suppressor is correct. I changed my A1 out for a 3 prong. That would be the later 3 prong with the beefier prongs too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I love you guys, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I am running up to Pheonix tomorrow to pick up the lower for my 604 build.  According to Ekie I should use a parkerized notched carrier to be accurate.  I might go ahead and use a chrome slick slide instead just for the look.  I have seen almost every combination you can imagine on Air Force weapons.  

Post some pictures when I get yours done.  I will do the same.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Foward assist carriers were used in them from 1967 onward even though they don't have a foward assist.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am running up to Pheonix tomorrow to pick up the lower for my 604 build.  According to Ekie I should use a parkerized notched carrier to be accurate.  I might go ahead and use a chrome slick slide instead just for the look.  I have seen almost every combination you can imagine on Air Force weapons.  

Originally, because I am stupid, I thought I was going to do a 601 clone. Then, after realizing i am indeed an idiot, I realized I had parts to do a sweet 604 build. I just need a chrome slick side BC and to get one of those Tactics, LLC A1 partial fence lowers and I'm golden. I'm going with chrome on the BC because technically it's an AF clone and they loved chrome BCs and because I think they are really spiffy.

I'll post pics when completed. I have to hurry, the Orlando Appleseed shoot is less than a month away. I even have 5 twenty round mags coming from 44mag.com. :)
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally, because I am stupid, I thought I was going to do a 601 clone. Then, after realizing i am indeed an idiot, I realized I had parts to do a sweet 604 build. I just need a chrome slick side BC and to get one of those Tactics, LLC A1 partial fence lowers and I'm golden. I'm going with chrome on the BC because technically it's an AF clone and they loved chrome BCs and because I think they are really spiffy.

I'll post pics when completed. I have to hurry, the Orlando Appleseed shoot is less than a month away. I even have 5 twenty round mags coming from 44mag.com. :)

Same here on the 601/602 build.  I had almost all the parts for the 604 and I have used them in training being in the Air Force myself.  I have both kinds of carriers so I think I will build it the right way and I can always switch them around if I want.

The lowers I am getting are Tactics LLC lowers.  I think I am going to get one full fence and one partial fence.  I had originally thought about getting three lowers but one of each should do it for now.   I will post pictures of them before I start building.  

Which one do you guys think will be best for the 604 since they were build with both types at one time or another?  The barrel I am using is a 69-70 barrel.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Sweet, sounds like you are really dilligently building your clone. Myself, not so much. As long as it looks like a 604 from the outside, I'm not worried about a "correct" carrier or bolt or anything like that. Just being able to see part of a slick side chromed BC through the ejection port is correct enough for me. I bought one of those AF M16 uppers for sale in the EE a couple of years ago when the guy had like a million of them. I decided to get one that is chrome lined since this will be a fun shooter and I like the ease of chrome lined bores to clean. The seller was nice enough to throw in an original 3 prong FH!!!! how sweet is that?

I'm gonna call and order a Tactics reciever tomorrow, please post up when you get yours. I'd like to know what you think about the quality, fit and finish, etc.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here on the 601/602 build.  I had almost all the parts for the 604 and I have used them in training being in the Air Force myself.  I have both kinds of carriers so I think I will build it the right way and I can always switch them around if I want.

The lowers I am getting are Tactics LLC lowers.  I think I am going to get one full fence and one partial fence.  I had originally thought about getting three lowers but one of each should do it for now.   I will post pictures of them before I start building.  

Which one do you guys think will be best for the 604 since they were build with both types at one time or another?  The barrel I am using is a 69-70 barrel.

You would need a full fence lower for a 69 to 70 build.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry to be late to the game,

I just got a "In The Field" page up for the USAF at Retro Black Rifle:
USAF In The Field

There are plenty of 604's, as well as some 602's and GUU's.

Good luck with the builds, make sure you post some pics.
"Capt Richardson"

PS: let me know if everything on the pages looks good, I am sure I goofed something up!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top