Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2006 10:15:13 AM EDT
Hello all, I'm new here.

I have an Olympic Arms AR15 (A1 Type).

I was shooting it this past Sat. at the range and shot 60 rounds before the bolt cactch button decided to break off. I tried to remove the roll pin that holds the bolt catch using a 5/64 allen wrench, but hitting it with a hammer was worthless. Today, I plan to buy a 5/64 punch after work.

Which is the best driection to drive this pin out? Twards the butt stock or towards the muzzle? anny other pointers, tips, warnings?

Thanks in advance! Mike
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can get an actual roll pin punch you'll probably have better luck than a standard punch.  Wish I'd bought those years ago... IMHO its a lot easier to drive the pin out toward the front.  Put tape and/or other material on the receiver so you dont ding or scratch the receiver with the punch or hammer.  Another option is that Adco has a special punch just for this application which can be used from the front and might be easier.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a bunch for your input.

I knew of the special roll pin punches with the raised center to fit inside the roll pins, but I did not want to go through the hassle of getting one.

I used my gun cleaning cloth between the uppers and lower parts to protect from scratches and any other potential damage, and it worked well. I know I am probably making this a big deal, but I really don't want to screw up the lower end, which is why I might seem a bit paranoid over a tinny roll pin.

I am going to try the 5/64 pin punch first. I'll know pretty quickly if this is not going to work.

Thanks again for the pointers.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:01:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Use the 3/32 punch. It works great. I used the exact thing and i've found many other uses for it when cleaning (pushing the firing pin retainer out, pushing the extractor pin out, etc.)
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
After looking at that tool you provided the link for, I have decided it's best if I buy that tool rather than fool with a regular punch. The location of this roll pin does not allow for any angles, it must be a streight head on position when driving this pin out, which is why I have decided to get this tool. Besides, this is a handy tool to have in the future.

thanks for that life saving link
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
Use the 3/32 punch. It works great. I used the exact thing and i've found many other uses for it when cleaning (pushing the firing pin retainer out, pushing the extractor pin out, etc.)

Will the 3/32 puch be able to knock the pin out without the punch binding on the hole? If it works ok, then I guess I could just stop by Home Depot today and pick one up. I really don't care what tool to get as long as it will do the job. I could also use it for other pins such as the firing pin retainer etc. such as you have described.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The 3/32 punch worked perfect. Didnt have any problems.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I removed mine tapping toward the muzzle, but either the pin was too long or the
receiver hump was too big and I nicked the rec. a bit.

Nothing to cry about, but it would have been nice if it cleared.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:49:00 AM EDT
[#9]
You need to push the pin out toward the stock like you see if you click on that link for ADCO. Other wise the pin will hit the raised area of the mag well. You will be able to get the pin out that way if you do drive it foward but it will scratch the finish of your lower.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#10]
So that's normal?

The ADCO punch seems like a good thing for the toolbox then.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Ah ha! Towards the stock and NOT the muzzle, got it. So I will get a 3/32 puch and knock that sucker to the stock. It all makes sense. I did not think about the raised mag well.

This is my first repair to my AR so I figure I would consolt with some of you gurus first to save me some trouble.

I appreciate everyone's input on this!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I went to my local HW store and got a 3/32 punch, but that punch is to small, in fact, it is almost small enough to go inside the roll pin. I tried to use it anyway but after two swings of the hammer, I knew it was never gona work. Rather than cause anymore damage to the roll pin, I decided to buy that special flat sided roll pin punch designed to remove these hard to reach bolt catch roll pins. Luckily I have enough self control to not screw up the roll pin, or worse, screw up the lower.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top