Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2006 9:49:13 AM EDT
I am putting together my first build, and I need some help. I thought the guys on this forum might have some advice for me.

I have a SP1, (or maybe a M16), slick side upper with a large front pivot hole.

I want to mate it to a small hole Superior Arms lower.

I have looked at a couple of different options, but I would like to hear recommendations from somebody with some experience with this condition.

Thanks,

Mick
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I,m starting my second with the same upper but an RRA lower. I,m cccurious to see what options you considered. Im still pretty new at this and need all the help I can get.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Before I got a real SP1 lower, I just used one of the offset bushings from Brownells. BTW, does your upper have the "arrow and R" in front of where the rear sight drum goes? Cant see from the pic.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has that and then C and M down below.?!?!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#4]
You'll need the offset bushing to mate the two receivers. Brownell's p/n 231-000-181. I think it's made by DPMS and you'll find it in their catalog too.

It'll take a bit of experimenting to find the proper orientation. I have one rifle I use this on and I added a couple drops of blue locktite to keep it in place. So far it doesn't look like I can get the rifle hot enough to loosen the locktite. Others have recommended epoxy. I guess it's just a matter of how permanent you want the adapter mounted.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Could you fill the hole with JB Weld, then mount the upper useing the rear pin and drill through the front holes with 1/4" bit?
I bought the DPMS bushing, it takes a bit of wiggling to get it back together at times.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I've wondered if it would be possible to machine a plug from aluminiun that's a couple of thousands over size. Then freeze it with something like dry ice and drop it into the upper. After it all evens out in temp it should be pretty well locked into place. Then machine a new hole the correct size and location in the upper.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Before I got a real SP1 lower, I just used one of the offset bushings from Brownells. BTW, does your upper have the "arrow and R" in front of where the rear sight drum goes? Cant see from the pic.

Yes
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top