Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2006 9:28:52 PM EDT
Here a few days ago there were two new in the in the VCI foil paper Colt Bi pods with the original canvas carriers. I was bidding both and went high enough I thought I had them both and at the last second some enterprising fellow decided he had to have one and out bid me by not a significant amount. But enough to look somewhat silly as I had bid 45.00 a piece on these units. My only reason for bidding that much was the fact that they were both still in the original packaging and with the original pouches. I wanted both in the interest of preserving some military history not for use as I feel that would be foolish since there are tons of used ones available for less than a $20 bill . If one of my retro brothers got the other one and is going to preserve it for the future so that others may learn and study then I am glad you got it, however if you bought it with intentions of using it please let me know  and I will get you your whole purchase price back including the shipping. So you can find a used unit and have enough to goto the movies or something. New  unused accessories of this vintage for the M16 and M16A1 are rare enough and do not need to be made even rarer.

Rant off.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#1]
+1 to that

To many tards on the internet dealing in this stuff that they have no business buying.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:38:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:25:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It’s crazy how this whole retro thing has exploded. No one paid a second glance at that stuff a year ago.  

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:31:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It’s crazy how this whole retro thing has exploded. No one paid a second glance at that stuff a year ago.  

It is interesting that you should say that , because I have actually been perusing and collecting  this "stuff" QUIB since late 90's . Well before the term "retro" was applied when the glut of cheap A1 uppers that were surplussed hit the market allowing people to build that cheap truck gun they wanted. Before that time I collected US Martial ARMS from WWII and Korea. As much as I enjoyed collecting those fine old weapons they were not a part of my life in the sense that the M16 was. I literally grew up with an M16 in my hands in the US ARMY. I decided in about 1997 that I wanted to acquire some things and began at that time. This was a time when some stuff was quite unobtainable and other items were quite cheap.  Placer CBS at that time had new unissued stripped Colt Uppers for about $50 a piece and had them for several years at that price.  Now however just like with the M1 and M1903 the "fad collector" has arrived . It happens with just about everything and I realize that .I just hope that when someone beats me on an item like that , they have the intentions of saving it and preserving it. Not attaching it to their rifle to go blasting.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:46:47 AM EDT
[#5]
That's why I'm trying to get all the parts I can, when I can. This retro craze has really taken off and we really need to get our parts before it's too late. Either that or get more places like TSI and Tactics LLC. This stuff's gonna get expensive real fast.

This just reminds me of the time my uncle told me that back in the 60's, he could've gotten Lugers for $25 and P38's for $15..stuff like that. And the fact that his WWII M1 Thompson cost him $2000..he had the chance to either get that one or a 1928 for the same price. Wish he had gotten the 28.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here a few days ago there were two new in the in the VCI foil paper Colt Bi pods with the original canvas carriers. I was bidding both and went high enough I thought I had them both and at the last second some enterprising fellow decided he had to have one and out bid me by not a significant amount. But enough to look somewhat silly as I had bid 45.00 a piece on these units. My only reason for bidding that much was the fact that they were both still in the original packaging and with the original pouches. I wanted both in the interest of preserving some military history not for use as I feel that would be foolish since there are tons of used ones available for less than a $20 bill . If one of my retro brothers got the other one and is going to preserve it for the future so that others may learn and study then I am glad you got it, however if you bought it with intentions of using it please let me know  and I will get you your whole purchase price back including the shipping. So you can find a used unit and have enough to goto the movies or something. New  unused accessories of this vintage for the M16 and M16A1 are rare enough and do not need to be made even rarer.

Rant off.  

Unless you know somthing I don't know about ebay there is no way to tell what the winning bidder bid. The winner's bid will only be one increment over the second place bid (it happens automatically) He or she might have bet $1000 for all you know. I would assume that the person must have known the value of these things in the wrap or he wouldn't have bid so much.  Either that or someone has more money than brains.  I've won some and I've lost some, that's the way it goes.  Whoever bids the most wins, period,  irregardless of emotion.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Should have bid more, or get a auction sniper program..
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And the fact that his WWII M1 Thompson cost him $2000..he had the chance to either get that one or a 1928 for the same price. Wish he had gotten the 28.

Heck, I bought my M1 Thompson for $50 (plus the transfer tax).  Sold it 20 years later for $1000 and thought I'd done well.  Think I haven't kicked myself a time or two in more recent years?

Which is why I'll never peddle the XM177E2 clone at my house; unless they're fixing to forclose on the mortgage.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's why I'm trying to get all the parts I can, when I can. This retro craze has really taken off and we really need to get our parts before it's too late. Either that or get more places like TSI and Tactics LLC. This stuff's gonna get expensive real fast.

This just reminds me of the time my uncle told me that back in the 60's, he could've gotten Lugers for $25 and P38's for $15..stuff like that. And the fact that his WWII M1 Thompson cost him $2000..he had the chance to either get that one or a 1928 for the same price. Wish he had gotten the 28.

Blah blah blah and you could buy a house on an acre for less then $50,000.  Times change, the gripes usually dont...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw a set of 1911 checkered walnut grip go for $47 on auction and the seller had them in his store for $15.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blah blah blah and you could buy a house on an acre for less then $50,000.  Times change, the gripes usually dont...

I used to have to walk to school through the snow, uphill, both ways.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Barefoot.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey man, just telling ya what he told me and what the catalog he bought it from told me.

And the point is that it's sad that MG's are $10k+ since there's no new ones being made for civvies.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Ebay is littered with shill bidders.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Every now and then something good will turn up on Ebay......but you have to have "lucky" timing to snag it.

I used to buy Colt / Armalite memorabilia, manuals, etc....but never can win anything anymore. There is a guy that goes by the user name "Des-Tex" that seems to have bottomless pockets, and a bid sniping program......he has won every....and I do mean every Armalite / early Colt auction for quite a while.....he is even buying old maps of Costa Mesa CA !!!!!I give up.......I can't afford to spend $10,000 a year on Colt rifle literature and memorabilia
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140045589512
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260042403538
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260042404091
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280035186013
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120035388962

Rant off.....
I wonder if he is on ARF.com ????? I'd love to see some pics of his collection!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ebay is littered with shill bidders.

I don't know............... my aunt was shill bidding on my cousins actions and ebay caught her right away. She never could figure out how they figured it out, they are in different states and all, but they got caught, IIRC another cousin was shill bidding also and got caught.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Every now and then something good will turn up on Ebay......but you have to have "lucky" timing to snag it.

I used to buy Colt / Armalite memorabilia, manuals, etc....but never can win anything anymore. There is a guy that goes by the user name "Des-Tex" that seems to have bottomless pockets, and a bid sniping program......he has won every....and I do mean every Armalite / early Colt auction for quite a while.....he is even buying old maps of Costa Mesa CA !!!!!I give up.......I can't afford to spend $10,000 a year on Colt rifle literature and memorabilia
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140045589512
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260042403538
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260042404091
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280035186013
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120035388962

Rant off.....
I wonder if he is on ARF.com ????? I'd love to see some pics of his collection!

damn, $180 for an armalite sales brochure!!

try esnipe.com

set your parameters for 2 seconds before auction end,

and good luck,

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Ever hear the song "Ebay" by Weird Al Yankovic?

"I am the type who's liable to snipe you with 2 seconds to go"

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:56:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

try esnipe.com

set your parameters for 2 seconds before auction end,

and good luck,

Really, all you have to do is. Determine the maximium amoun you will spend on a item, bid that amount, and if you get out bid, I guess you did'nt want it bad enough..
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top