Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2006 8:17:22 PM EDT
i have an sp1 type upper with the triangle handguards. i don't have an original style lower reciever so a retro build is out. will a2 style handguards be a drop in fit on an sp1 upper?

FWIW all of the sp1/a1 style lower recievers made before 2000 are banned in my state so i can't just buy one.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, there should be no problem.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#2]
There's no reason you can't still go retro even if you have a new style A2 lower. Lots of pictures I've seen posted here are of completely retro builds on A2 lowers. There are only two minor differences in the look of the lower so it is hard to tell unless you are looking really close.

That said, the A1 and A2 handguards are interchangeable. Either the slip ring or delta ring will work and the A2 handguards are made to work with the A1 triangular endcap. There are three projections on the front of the A2  handguard that allow it to work as either the top or bottom, unlike the A1 being either left or right.

This modification made logistics much simpler for the supply sergeant as you didn't have to specify left or right, the A2 handguard will work in either position, top or bottom.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top