AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 16
Link Posted: 6/15/2006 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#1]
well here is mine!

and another (my favorite rifle) vintage retro repro

Link Posted: 6/15/2006 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet dude, where did you get all the acessories at?
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#3]
garage sales......lots of garage sales  
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 7:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Malysh] [#4]
Hey Mack,

I like the Vincent D'Onofrio avatar.
He would have been relegated to the special company training  lard butts on the island, but then again, F.M.J. was still a movie even though it was pretty realistic.

Semper Fi

Mike H
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:15:27 AM EDT
[#5]
What do you think I Should do?

I have a complete upper colt A-1 Sporter with bird cage flash supressor, no forward assist, thin barrell, and the A-1 butt stock, hand guards, and grip. Just missing the lower.

I had planned on pulling the barrel for now and building an M-4/203. Or do you think I should restore it to it's former glorey and spring a few bucks for a new lower, and build the M-4/203 from scratch?

dAvE
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By GunHo198:
What do you think I Should do?

I have a complete upper colt A-1 Sporter with bird cage flash supressor, no forward assist, thin barrell, and the A-1 butt stock, hand guards, and grip. Just missing the lower.

I had planned on pulling the barrel for now and building an M-4/203. Or do you think I should restore it to it's former glorey and spring a few bucks for a new lower, and build the M-4/203 from scratch?

dAvE

It's not the right upper for an M4 anyway. Try to find a correct (large pin) lower and build that sporter back to the way it was intended. The original configuration is a nice, light, easy-handling rifle that isn't "trying" to be something else. If you still want an M4gery that badly once you finish your Sp1orter, build it up from the right parts.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Makes sense. Even if I put the m4 barrel on it, I would eventually have replaced the upper too. May as well keep it intact and save time by doing it right. And I'll have an extra rifle to boot!dAvE
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2006 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#9]
My offering.

Link Posted: 6/20/2006 1:56:39 AM EDT
[#10]
My first picture post here....

Link Posted: 6/21/2006 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is the whole family together...

Link Posted: 6/21/2006 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By DM1975:

Nice

Is the sling on your XM made out of braided paracord?

Link Posted: 6/22/2006 12:34:20 AM EDT
[#13]
DM, where'd you get the CIB grips?
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 9:27:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Outstanding builds gentlemen!

Nice touch with the braided Para-Cord sling DM.

Hopefully STAG will come through with a realistic A1 Lower so the retro builds will be a little easier. If you have not sounded off on that topic please make sure that you do.
Retro Lower, which do you want?!!!!  

Keep the builds and pics coming, Thanks,
"Capt Richardson"
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Schmeghead:
DM, where'd you get the CIB grips?

I made them myself.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 9:37:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DM1975] [#16]

Originally Posted By t-money:

Nice

Is the sling on your XM made out of braided paracord?

Thanks. Yes it is. Took me all freaking night long and I miss measured so I had to add chord into it. Not used to making anything bigger than a bracelet.
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#18]
My sons rifle. We just sold the M261 conversion and dropped in a standard bolt. Next range trip is zero time!

Link Posted: 6/22/2006 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By MauserMark:
i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/markawil/DSAR1.jpg

Nice but your sling is on backwards... not that it matters in the overall scheme of things.
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#20]
This represent what I used/carried during Basic in 89 & during the LA Riots.

Link Posted: 6/25/2006 10:38:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Six] [#21]
Mine during a Vietnam reenactment.....did a Spec Forces impression....

After an ambush....picking up enemy weapons.....

BTW you guys have some great looking poodle shooters!  
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 7:43:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slt223] [#22]
Here's my retro build.  Actually, Colt built it in the mid to late 70's.  I replaced the barrel this afternoon since the original had a ring in it about 3 inches up from the throat.  The new barrel is a Saco Defense A1.  It was advertised as a Colt barrel when I bought it...oh well.

I think the M16A1 configuration is a classic look, and the most aesthically appealing.  For the past two years this gun wore a telestock and RO633 upper.  I always missed the A1 20" set up.  I'm ashamed to say that I have never fired the gun in its stock A1 set up, but I can't wait!  
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#23]

I replaced the barrel this afternoon since the original had a ring in it about 3 inches up from the throat. The new barrel is a Saco Defense A1. It was advertised as a Colt barrel when I bought it...oh well.

Shhhhhhhhh........ don't tell the bullets and they'll never know.
Nice looking rifle. I sure wouldn't hold the pedigree of the barrel against it.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 8:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drshame] [#24]

How' this for a real Retro Colt: 2005 Manufactored 1911 WW-1 Repro'd from their own 1918 drawings and blueprints.
Too bad they won't do a "Retro, Semi  M-16" .....Think they'd sell any?    

Hey, check out my post number!
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By DocMike:

I replaced the barrel this afternoon since the original had a ring in it about 3 inches up from the throat. The new barrel is a Saco Defense A1. It was advertised as a Colt barrel when I bought it...oh well.

Shhhhhhhhh........ don't tell the bullets and they'll never know.
Nice looking rifle. I sure wouldn't hold the pedigree of the barrel against it.

Doc

It actually doesn't matter who makes the barrel b/c it won't last very long dumping magazines through it, but it would have been nice to receive what I thought I was buying.

Here's one more

Link Posted: 6/25/2006 11:27:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By MauserMark:
i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/markawil/DSAR1.jpg

Nice but your sling is on backwards... not that it matters in the overall scheme of things.

yep it's been that way since I put it on and before I even built this one I kinda guessed that was the wrong way to put it on, but....

the scene in FMJ where the Squad Leader (can't think of his name) is on the side of the building, reloading after the fire exchange is over, has his on this way, and from a young age that's what I remember (that part anyway), so I just copied it.  

again, it's not the correct way, but I'm trying to come up with a reason of why it would make a difference.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 3:03:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#29]

again, it's not the correct way, but I'm trying to come up with a reason of why it would make a difference.

Forget correctness.  You've got to have some originality.  You've got a replica of the rifle as used by the Squad Leader in FMJ.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 3:23:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Like I said it dont realy matter unless you are going to do the whole hasty sling, "hello J hook goodby J hook" thing. But then I am sure it would work either way. Just the Marine Corps coming out in me...
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 3:38:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: t-money] [#31]
The older XMs and other carbines also have the web sling backwards in the Vietnam photos. The rear hook won't clip onto the adjustable stock but works fine on the front swivel.
Example photo that appears in every retro thread:
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#32]

The older XMs and other carbines also have the web sling backwards in the Vietnam photos. The rear hook won't clip onto the adjustable stock but works fine on the front swivel.
Example photo that appears in every retro thread:
i36.photobucket.com/albums/e30/captcarbine/Slide11a.jpg

Yes, like I stated before it realy does not matter but I should clarify I guess.... On the full length rifle the J hook is supposed to clip to the sling swivil on the buttstock... Seeing as I was talking about the full length rifle I felt it not necessary to biring up that understandable fact. I wont go into detail on why the J hook is supposed to be clipped to the back but there is a reason... As stated before, it does not realy matter. Do what you will... No Drill Instructor breathing down your neck now is there?
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#33]
OK, I'll bite. Why is there a "correct" way to install the sling. We're all here of our own free will and most of us to learn a little something while we are here. When I was in the service we always put them on the same way but, I never knew of any reason for them to go on one way or another other than "THAT'S THE WAY WE DO IT HERE PRIVATE!!! NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20!!!"

Doc  
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 11:48:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: t-money] [#35]

OK, I'll bite. Why is there a "correct" way to install the sling. We're all here of our own free will and most of us to learn a little something while we are here. When I was in the service we always put them on the same way but, I never knew of any reason for them to go on one way or another other than "THAT'S THE WAY WE DO IT HERE PRIVATE!!! NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20!!!"

Doc  

The USGI slings are designed to be used as a target shooting style sling, not just a carry strap. With the hook in the rear, you can detach it from the buttstock and put your arm through the loop made by the slider. Tighten it down above your bicep, and you have a very solid sling. It's slow to get into, so it's mostly seen in Highpower competition.

ETA:
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I am pretty sure Colt shipped them out with the sling on backwards during the early 1960's.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Doc  

The USGI slings are designed to be used as a target shooting style sling, not just a carry strap. With the hook in the rear, you can detach it from the buttstock and put your arm through the loop made by the slider. Tighten it down above your bicep, and you have a very solid sling. It's slow to get into, so it's mostly seen in Highpower competition.

ETA:
www.jouster.com/images/Webloop1.gif

This is even further changed by the Marine corps in that the hook would face the other direction (IIRC) so when a shooter wanted to use a hasty sling, they could unclip the J hook, turn it around and reclip it putting a twist in the sling to form around the arm better.

But as stated it realy is a moot point as I doubt anyone in Vietnam did this or cared about it to any extent but I was not there so I do not know.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Retro
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 4:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TriggerFish] [#39]

Old School rifle - M16

Semi-O.S. Carbine

less O.S. Carbine/coyote carbine
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 9:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762-4-U] [#40]
Here are some pictures of my build. This was a 16 inch barrel cut to 14.75 and then perm attach the "slip over flash hider" work done by Randall at AR15 barrels.I had a Oxford-Armory refinish my upper and lower with Norrell's Moly resin Grey Black (COLT). Local guy very reasonable. The lower is an EA and the upper is unknown mfg.

It's not a "true" copy, but its my copy

Link Posted: 6/28/2006 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#41]

I've since swapped the M16-kit out and install an M16A1 kit on the Stag lower in the middle. I've got another receiver, but it needs refinished and a lpk and then a chrome carrier assembly to finish the M16. Then I'll update the pic. Hopefully this fall.
Link Posted: 6/28/2006 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#42]
T-money, thanks for the incite on how the sling was designed to work, I never knew there was a "correct" way to use it. I've seen people kind of wrap the sling around their are to try to stabilize the gun while shooting but, I've never seen anybody do it correctly. I think I learn something here every time I stop by.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 3:02:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: timkel] [#44]
Retro+

Link Posted: 6/29/2006 10:52:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Just picked this one up yesterday. Had it on layway for a couple months and figured it was time to bring her home.
So... can I ...uhmmm... be in the club now?

(Ignore the stains in the carpet. )

Link Posted: 6/30/2006 12:09:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Well, we tried to go somewhat retro (my brother and I).  Here in CA the Colt lowers are banned so we had to make do.  Found some old A1 stocks, grips and handguards.  My brother's is on the right, a Colt upper from CDNN on a Sabre Defense lower.  The far left is a Delton kit, the middle is Bushy/Doublestar mixture with an old stockset.  Call it a family photo.

Tzvia.
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 2:19:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By Tzvia:
home.earthlink.net/~l.segal/images/ar15/3retros.jpg

Well, we tried to go somewhat retro (my brother and I).  Here in CA the Colt lowers are banned so we had to make do.  Found some old A1 stocks, grips and handguards.  My brother's is on the right, a Colt upper from CDNN on a Sabre Defense lower.  The far left is a Delton kit, the middle is Bushy/Doublestar mixture with an old stockset.  Call it a family photo.

Tzvia.

Are those detachable 20 round magazines?
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By TKoProductions:

Originally Posted By Tzvia:
home.earthlink.net/~l.segal/images/ar15/3retros.jpg

Tzvia.

Are those detachable 20 round magazines?

Nope.  They are 10 rounders that look like 20 rounders.  One came from Bushmaster, the other from Armalite.  I wish...

And yea, the mag releases are drilled/tapped and setscrewed (and we are screwed out here too).

Tzvia
Link Posted: 7/9/2006 1:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreyWolf87] [#49]
Allright my first AR-15 is finnally done! My Colt M16A1 upper on a nice new Stag lower.

The difference in color is not that bad. At first I thought I might have to Norrell's it but I dont think I am.

I know this is sort of a right of passage on this website so here is all the era gear I have(that inludes the carpet!).
Link Posted: 7/10/2006 8:24:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#50]
Slick side M16 clone with High Standard HD Military .22LR

It's an Oly lower with mostly SARCO parts. Has some DPMS thrown in too.

Page / 16
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top