Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2017 9:20:19 PM EDT
I'm building my first AR Pistol. I know I want a 5.56 10.5 Barrel with a 1:7 twist.

Upper
I was considering the AeroPrecision M4E1 Complete Barreled Upper. I'm not sure I have the patience to pick the right barrel, gas block, gas tube, rails. Just way too many choices out there but that could be a good thing.

Lower
- I already have a Spikes Tactical Spartan Forged at an FFL Dealer I'll be picking up this weekend
- Hogue Grip
- Picking up KNS Anti-walk pins soon

- Thinking about the CMMG LPK or Spikes, but I'm not sure which one to go with
- Phase 5 Buffer Tube is a must
- BCG (NiB is a must) I'm still undecided on, but was considering going with the Spikes as well, as the quality is A1 from what I've seen/read.

Suggestions? This will be mainly for home defense & target shooting.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
What barrel length are you looking at?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm building my first AR Pistol. I know I want a 5.56 10.5 Barrel with a 1:7 twist.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]
KAK Blade with their tube
ALG Trigger / CMMG Spring Kit
Toolcraft NIB BCG
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally I would go with a LPK w/o trigger and spend a little extra there. You won't regret it.

What are you planning for sights?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Probably going to go with the MagPul MBUS iron backups, and I'm debating between EOTech & AimPoint
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
FWIW- I went with a Palmetto State Armory pistol kit with a 10.5" inch barrel and used an Anderson lower. Went together easily and I haven't had any issues with it. I've only shot 55gr FMJ in it so far with Magpul magazines.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#7]
That was the other thing I've been debating... Whether to get an assembled upper or pick get each part separately. That's why I was thinking about the Aero Precision M4E1 Upper
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Personally I would go with a LPK w/o trigger and spend a little extra there. You won't regret it.
View Quote
I was considering going with a less expressive trigger for now, then eventually getting the Tac-Arms Rapid Fire trigger. I know many people go for the Geissele... But that Tac Arms looks sweet
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:26:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That was the other thing I've been debating... Whether to get an assembled upper or pick get each part separately. That's why I was thinking about the Aero Precision M4E1 Upper
View Quote
Hard to beat the Aero enhanced assembled for the price - check out Granite Ridge Outfitters - they are a sponser and one of the cheapest.

For me it has always been cheaper to buy them - I just bought a very nice used barrel for cheap - I'll be building the upper but it's going to be a mutt of about six different brands.

Resale of a complete factory upper is typically better.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for that. I checked them out and while the parts are relatively lower, after it's all said & done, I think I'd come out lower by just getting the assembled upper
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Probably going to go with the MagPul MBUS iron backups, and I'm debating between EOTech & AimPoint
View Quote
My vote goes to Aimpont. Really better than Eotechs IMHO. If you're looking for a "budget" build pick an Aimpont Pro, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally I like how much more I can see with the Eotech. Go to a gun store and have them mount them on an AR and see which you like more. I've never been to a shop that wouldn't do that for me. 
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd check out the Trijicon MRO too.

And I have been in the same boat as you on whether or not to build or buy a completed as my next upper.
Really about the same cost.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 10.5 with talon rail from Hardened Arms. Excellent fit and finish for the price. Might want to give them a look.

http://www.hardenedarms.com/ecCat_45
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:40:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Get a decent barrel, good trigger and decent sight. The rest of the parts aren't as important.

If you buy a finished upper, concentrate on the barrel and not so much the handguard. People pick an upper because they like the way the handguard looks and end up with a crappy barrel.

I recently picked up a few LPK's w/o trigger groups and grip for $20ea. Add a teflon trigger group for another $40. https://www.righttobear.com/Enhanced-Nickel-Teflon-Trigger-Assembly-p/enta-01.htm or $80 for a RRA NM trigger. Don't need to spend $250 on a trigger to get something decent.

Here's a G2S for $165 in a LPK. https://www.righttobear.com/Geissele-G2S-Trigger-Lower-Parts-Kit-NO-GRIP-p/g2s-lpk.htm  Still cost too much for my cheapness...
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:11:16 AM EDT
[#16]
PSA 10.5" CHF and a Toolcraft NiB bolt (same as Spikes 1/2 the cost)
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get a decent barrel, good trigger and decent sight. The rest of the parts aren't as important.

If you buy a finished upper, concentrate on the barrel and not so much the handguard. People pick an upper because they like the way the handguard looks and end up with a crappy barrel.
View Quote
You're Soooooooo right

I WAS concerned about the overall aesthetic look of the hand guard. I wanted something that was as aesthetically pleasing, but also was functional (like I said, this is my first AR). I wasn't sure what to look for in a barrel. I wanted a spiral fluted barrel, as I've heard and read that it's lighter and has less recoil issues, and increases accuracy a bit... What should I look for in a barrel? That's the thing I don't know much about  and where I'm struggling on picking parts and whether or not I should build it piece by piece or just buy an assembled upper. Thanks for all of the feedback... Keep it coming
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I think you should have a look to Faxon barrels. Are not so expensive and are a very good option for a first build. Pick a 4140 QPQ. Fluting in my opinion is not so important in a shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#19]
http://ballisticadvantage.com/10-3-inch-556-625-hanson-carbine-cmv-performance-barrel.html
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Something worth noting. You claim you have already purchased a spikes lower. Ideally when building your AR you want a matching set, upper and lower. It's an aesthetics and color matching issue. That way your rifle isn't multicolored. If you don't care about cosmetics and aesthetics, then disregard.

So, if you do care, the best you can hope for is a spikes upper. It will be hit or miss if they match, but they may be closer than any other option.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Something worth noting. You claim you have already purchased a spikes lower. Ideally when building your AR you want a matching set, upper and lower. It's an aesthetics and color matching issue. That way your rifle isn't multicolored. If you don't care about cosmetics and aesthetics, then disregard.

So, if you do care, the best you can hope for is a spikes upper. It will be hit or miss if they match, but they may be closer than any other option.
View Quote
Yes I have the lower at an FFL dealer ready to pick up. And yes, ideally I would like a matching upper. That was another reason I considered the AeroPrecision. I've seen a few builds and they match nicely. The more I look around, though, I start crunching numbers & always come out higher than $399 (AeroPrecision complete upper)  when I start finding separate pieces. I think i'm going to go with it...
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:48:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Give Androcorp a look also for the upper
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:10:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes I have the lower at an FFL dealer ready to pick up. And yes, ideally I would like a matching upper. That was another reason I considered the AeroPrecision. I've seen a few builds and they match nicely. The more I look around, though, I start crunching numbers & always come out higher than $399 (AeroPrecision complete upper)  when I start finding separate pieces. I think i'm going to go with it...
View Quote
You'te saying you feel that an Aero Precision upper will have a matching finish with a Spikes lower?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You'te saying you feel that an Aero Precision upper will have a matching finish with a Spikes lower?
View Quote
I'm saying that I've seen a few builds with those commoners and they've matched well from what I've seen.... And I mean it's not the end of the world if they don't
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm saying that I've seen a few builds with those commoners and they've matched well from what I've seen.... And I mean it's not the end of the world if they don't
View Quote
Im kinda dumb. My apologies for getting involved and posting in your thread.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No need to apologize when there was nothing done that warranted an apology. It's all good. I need opinions from across the spectrum. That's why we're all here, right? No worries.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok so I just found out that AeroPrecision is running a sale on their uppers all weekend, knocking the price down by $60 (or 15%). Should I go MLOK or Keymod?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ok so I just found out that AeroPrecision is running a sale on their uppers all weekend, knocking the price down by $60 (or 15%). Should I go MLOK or Keymod?
View Quote
Go MLOK. It's more reliable than keymod. I've read of many people around here having issues with keymod handguards because of accessories that fell down from their fastening point.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:24:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Im in the middle of a similar build I was planning on a frankin build of parts I like but those aero uppers look like a good deal. The only thing I dont like is the hand guard looks like it has a large diameter. I would prefer a slim hand guard. What do you guys think of the M4E1?

I was planning Aero Upper, Faxon or Similar cheap 10.5 barrel and Midwest 9' M Loc.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
PSA 10.5" CHF and a Toolcraft NiB bolt (same as Spikes 1/2 the cost)
View Quote
Yes good choice. A KAK tube and Shockwave and ST-2 buffer has been very reliable.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Im in the middle of a similar build I was planning on a frankin build of parts I like but those aero uppers look like a good deal. The only thing I dont like is the hand guard looks like it has a large diameter. I would prefer a slim hand guard. What do you guys think of the M4E1?

I was planning Aero Upper, Faxon or Similar cheap 10.5 barrel and Midwest 9' M Loc.
View Quote
I went with the AeroPrecision Barreled Upper. They have a 15% off sale, and then I added a discount code (SAVE10NOW), AND got free shipping, so i only paid $305.99!!!!

Now, I just have to wait for a sale for the Spike's BCG, LPK & Raptor charging handle & I'll almost be done.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:51:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Update: Soooooooo here's what I have so far

Aero Precision Barreled upper
Raptor charging handle
MagPul MLok Angled Foregrip
Phase 5 Buffer

Spike's Tactical LPK
Spike's tactical Striped Spartan  Lower
Hogue Grip

Now it's down to backup sights (Troy, MagPul MBUS Pro or Diamondback) , bcg (between Spike's & Fail Zero)  & buffer tube (diamondback or Phase 5)

I'll post pix when it's all together
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top