Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2015 2:55:38 PM EDT
Anyone modify their mil spec buffer tube to not accept a stock? If so, how did you do it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone modify their mil spec buffer tube to not accept a stock? If so, how did you do it?
View Quote

not sure what you want to do? what is precluding you from changing the tube?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought a used AR pistol several years back.  Dude had a commercial tube on it, but had ground off the fin using a bench grinder or whatever.  He then wrapped it in electric tape to increase the OD to prevent sliding a stock on it.

I didn't think the setup all that smart as all you had to do was pull the tape and slide a stock on so I replace the tube with a designated pistol tube as soon as I got it home.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought a used AR pistol several years back.  Dude had a commercial tube on it, but had ground off the fin using a bench grinder or whatever.  He then wrapped it in electric tape to increase the OD to prevent sliding a stock on it.

I didn't think the setup all that smart as all you had to do was pull the tape and slide a stock on so I replace the tube with a designated pistol tube as soon as I got it home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does Thordsen get away with selling their buffer tube covers then? They are made to slip over standard mil spec buffer tubes. My thought was to use epoxy to fill in the holes the stock would lock into but I don't know if that solves the issue of constructive intent.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#4]
A regular buffer tube is perfectly legal on a pistol. I would be more concerned with being able to prove the history of the lower and that it was built first as a pistol. Don't keep a spare stock with/near the pistol and there is nothing to fear.

Why would Thordsen selling a product that is meant to be installed on a buffer that is pistol legal cause any problem?

If you want to trash a buffer tube though, then that is your choice.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How does Thordsen get away with selling their buffer tube covers then? They are made to slip over standard mil spec buffer tubes. My thought was to use epoxy to fill in the holes the stock would lock into but I don't know if that solves the issue of constructive intent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No such thing as constructive intent, since no intent is necessary.

Best defense against "constructive possession" is to simply ensure that every part or component in your possession has a legal "useful purpose other making an NFA firearm". It ain't rocket surgery.

- All good as pictured (lower began life as a pistol)
- Without the long barrel, you have made a SBR whether you actually assemble it as such or not

- OS
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#6]
So, I need a good replacement for the buffer tube assembly on my Radical Firearms pistol. Anyone have a suggestion for one that won't break the bank. Does anyone have one from from PSA? What's the diameter?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So, I need a good replacement for the buffer tube assembly on my Radical Firearms pistol.....
View Quote

I see you didn't grok what I said at all.

- OS
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, I need a good replacement for the buffer tube assembly on my Radical Firearms pistol.....

- OS

Well, I read in another thread that the radical firearms buffer tube is too large for the thordsen. Not sure if what you said has any impact.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, I read in another thread that the radical firearms buffer tube is too large for the thordsen. Not sure if what you said has any impact.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Anyone modify their mil spec buffer tube to not accept a stock?

My reply was to these two comments of yours. Both procedures are unnecessary to use a standard carbine buffer tube with Thordsen cover, and again, there is no such thing as constructive "intent".

- OS
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, even still, my question still stands, I need a new buffer tube and assembly because Radical Firearms buffer tube diameter is too large.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, it the Radical Arms is too large - it won't accept a stock. So, that's exactly what seems to be the goal, a buffer tube that won't take a stock. Which is neither necessary or illegal.

I bought the PSA tube because it wouldn't take a stock (my call) and it had cool looking flutes on it. I didn't plan to put any brace on it covering them up.

As for the carbine tube that had the fin ground off a neoprene cover on it for a cheek friendly rest would be a great answer. Many use paracord. As long as the charging handle doesn't catch on it and it's secure, use whatever.

There is at present no legal interpretation or case law to indicate that having a buffer tube in military/commercial spec diameter capable of accepting a standard stock is illegal. The issue comes up when you have a pistol and stock in your possession. Like, at the range where parts are lying all over the bench, and one or two configurations are illegal. An LEO has to be there, see it, and then want to make something out of it.

For the most part we just keep quiet about what we have and the ATF keeps focusing on more stupid guys who like getting the ATF's attention and wishing them good luck in Hawaiian sign language.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
....Like, at the range where parts are lying all over the bench, and one or two configurations are illegal. An LEO has to be there, see it, and then want to make something out of it. ...
View Quote

Yet still, being able to make an illegal configuration is not the test, but rather, only an illegal configuration.

- OS
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I found a guy locally that has a PSA buffer assembly with everything I need. I will swap them out, install the Thordsen buffer tube cover and CAA side saddle and then sell the RA pistol buffer assembly. This is my only AR so I am not really worried about having extra parts laying around. And if I am at the range, the Thordsen tube cover requires a pretty small allen key to remove so nothing that could "readily" accept a stock.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#14]
For the last time...you do not need to alter your buffer tube.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Pistols can use any buffer tube without legal ramifications
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For the last time...you do not need to alter your buffer tube.
View Quote

Again, the whole purpose of using a standard mil spec buffer tube is so I can attach the thordsen buffer tube cover and saddle. It's moot at this point whether I have to modify it or not.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top