Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2015 1:03:13 PM EDT
I'm wondering if the bullets designed to fragment into 3 parts actually will with the low velocity from a short barrel or if it'll be traveling too slow.

Be awesome if it'd be a viable defensive round for the pistols.

If not, I might just trade out my PWS MK107 for a 109 in 300 blk.,
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:18:22 PM EDT
[#1]
There are bullets designed to expand at low velocity on the market already. Fragmentation is just one way to dump energy into the target, controlled expansion is another. Since most of what we build won't ever be used on hard targets, then military grade ammo isn't our best choice.

77gr Poly tipped expansion bullets are reputed to work down to 1800 fps. Might look into that for 5.56 as they are already out there. As for either fragmentation or expansion, bullets can still hit their target out to 400m and it's been reported those using the MK18 do get hits and kills out to that range. It's more user skill than what hokey special ammo somebody is marketing.

The AR pistol with 10.5 barrel isn't at the huge disadvantage some make it out - just because military fragmentation is less optimal, the Navy and others went to better ammo than issue, which is the whole point of MK262 and certain other loads using commercial hunting ammo.

You are under no obligation to the Hague Convention in your personal choice of ammo used here on varmints of whatever description.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are bullets designed to expand at low velocity on the market already. Fragmentation is just one way to dump energy into the target, controlled expansion is another. Since most of what we build won't ever be used on hard targets, then military grade ammo isn't our best choice.

77gr Poly tipped expansion bullets are reputed to work down to 1800 fps. Might look into that for 5.56 as they are already out there. As for either fragmentation or expansion, bullets can still hit their target out to 400m and it's been reported those using the MK18 do get hits and kills out to that range. It's more user skill than what hokey special ammo somebody is marketing.

The AR pistol with 10.5 barrel isn't at the huge disadvantage some make it out - just because military fragmentation is less optimal, the Navy and others went to better ammo than issue, which is the whole point of MK262 and certain other loads using commercial hunting ammo.

You are under no obligation to the Hague Convention in your personal choice of ammo used here on varmints of whatever description.
View Quote

Wow, I did not know that.  Thanks for the informative and detailed answer brother!

Most of the research I did on loads for SBRS came back with responses of "too slow to be viable." so I thought even the tap hollowpoints were useless.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Wow, I did not know that.  Thanks for the informative and detailed answer brother!

Most of the research I did on loads for SBRS came back with responses of "too slow to be viable." so I thought even the tap hollowpoints were useless.

Thanks again!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again!

You want the Black Hills 77gr TMK (tipped match king). This is the bullet mentioned above; here is a shot at 1900fps into gel.   A user also tested this in an SBR, and. long story short, this is exceptional.

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top