Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 12:48:48 PM EDT
I bought myself a .300 blackout "pistol" with a 8.5" barrel and a sig brace on back. Honestly my full intension was to shoulder it, which was a fine a few weeks ago and now made illegal.
I need some help with what forms to fill out to turn my "pistol" into a short barreled rifle. I got the $200 needed for the tax stamp and I think I need to fill out ATF form 1 and form 4. Can someone correct me if I need it and/or guide me into the right direction to get a SBR tax stamp so I can legally shoulder my AR?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You only do the Form 1.  Your lower will also need to be engraved with your name, city, and state.
More info is in the NFA section.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bought myself a .300 blackout "pistol" with a 8.5" barrel and a sig brace on back. Honestly my full intension was to shoulder it, which was a fine a few weeks ago and now made illegal.
I need some help with what forms to fill out to turn my "pistol" into a short barreled rifle. I got the $200 needed for the tax stamp and I think I need to fill out ATF form 1 and form 4. Can someone correct me if I need it and/or guide me into the right direction to get a SBR tax stamp so I can legally shoulder my AR?
View Quote

So technically you are in possession of a short-barreled rifle at the moment since your "intent" was to shoulder it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
It was never ok, you committed a felony simply by shouldering it. The atf said from the beginning that it's only legal to use it as a stabilizer
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't seem to find that section. Blind I guess. Can you point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Roscoe,

hit the ARMORY tab near the top of the page, scroll down and you'll see the entire NFA/Class 3 section and sub forums. Might be a good idea to be more careful with wording in public forums
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It was never ok, you committed a felony simply by shouldering it. The atf said from the beginning that it's only legal to use it as a stabilizer
View Quote

Thats not true. They said from the beginning that its okay to shoulder it as the intent was to be a brace - misuse doesn't determine intent. Apparently they decided that's not the case.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Read the most recent letter stating all previous letters are void and merely shoulding it makes it an illegal SBR regardless of one's intent when it was built.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Massive fail please nobody listen to this post.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. AnarchistChickenRunningAroundWithHeadCutOff.

- OS
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wrong, incorrect, fail. etc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So technically you are in possession of a short-barreled rifle at the moment since your "intent" was to shoulder it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have fun in prison.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#13]
"Well technically this and that and you are a criminal, blah blah" shut the fuck up. Im sure you all are just perfect human beings.

Goodluck OP, wish I lived in a state that allowed SBR's.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Somebody is going to do this, and to do it the ATF has to accept the Brace as a stock. But, it's not. it's a brace.

It's going to be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Somebody is going to do this, and to do it the ATF has to accept the Brace as a stock. But, it's not. it's a brace.

It's going to be interesting.
View Quote

I don't think anything is going to be interesting. I think at the end of the day, all of this BS over the brace (which I own one) is going to fizzle out and in a decade we'll be laughing about how stupid we all were here about it.

YMMV.

I think, all this has done is just corrected the price of the SB15.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]
This is good. Someone needs to get  arrested and fight it out in court...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:39:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You only do the Form 1.  Your lower will also need to be engraved with your name, city, and state.
View Quote

"your" name isn't exactaly correct. It will need to have the name of the trust, if you are filing for the stamp with your trust.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Not sure I understand the trust. Is it needed? If not, whats the difference?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not sure I understand the trust. Is it needed? If not, whats the difference?
View Quote

A significant one is that with a trust you can get a Form approved by Efile in less than a month.

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top