Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 9:07:32 AM EDT
Howdy All, I'm in the process of building my mother an 11.5" ar pistol. Considering the muzzle blast and flash from 5.56 in that short of a barrel, I was intending to put a KX3 on it for the time being. However, the only ranges that my parents go to happen to be indoor ranges. Will the KX3 still be reasonably effective in keeping the concussion moderated while inside? I realize that it isn't going to eliminate the concussion, but if the KX3 can keep it to a comfortable level despite being indoors, that'll work.

If anyone here has a KX3 on an SBR or Pistol, would you please describe how your SBR/Pistol relates concussion wise to a full sized rifle with a standard birdcage? Especially while shooting indoors.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
It will still be the loudest gun at the range, but it will be slightly more pleasant to the shooter.

Better than a flash suppressor, since it sends most of the concussive blast forward.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I think with such a short barrel, these pistols are so overgassed that they unlock earlier and a lot of the unpleasant concussive sound is actually coming from more supersonic gasses exiting the breach during early unlocking.  Here's mine to show how short it is. 8" bbl.  I shoot it indoors and it's not horrible compared to my 14.5" carbine, but it is noticeably louder.  The 11.5" barrel should be considerably better than my setup.  Just let her know that if shot in a HD situation it will most likely fuck her ears up.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot 7.5" SBR with KX3 in 2/3gun matches, which includes shoothouses and such.  Anyone running a real brake will have it 10x worse, while the KX3 keeps most of it forward.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I run a 10.5in barreled Long Barreled Pistol (patent pending)... It's loud at the range going forward/down range, and for others. However as long as you or the shooter has good ear pro  then you'll be fine. I've run standard rubber combat arms ear plugs and also some electronic ear pro too. It's kind of fun when people  come up and ask about it or want to see it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a KX3 on my 10.5 and love it.  It is my favorite rifle/pistol.  I wear hearing protection so I honestly don't notice the sound.  People get way too wrapped up in noise level.  KX3 works well for it's intended purpose...directing the blast forward.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:56:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The concussion will loosen fillings and rupture fake titties.

Dave N
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
KX3 on a 7.5" and not to bad indoors as long as you wear double hearing protection. Ear plugs only, a bit uncomfortable.  I have seen the target next to mine torn between bullet holes by the concussion indoors.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dave N
View Quote

Naaaa... it'll be fine.  

A KX3 on a 11.5 inch Barreled AR Pistol should be pretty good.  I've got one on my AR Pistol with a 7.5 inch barrel and its still okay indoors.

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know whether it's because my 7.5" pistol is a piston upper (Adams) or because I've shot bullpups all my life, but I didn't find the KX3 to make much difference vs a standard A2 flash hider even....  Adds an unpleasant amount of weight and length for no discernible difference in sound or blast - neither of which I found unpleasant or problematic.  (Shot indoors in the last lane up against a wall no less...)

My shooting buddy agreed that the 16' AUG with the old school tulip-style flash hider is way worse...

YMMV and all that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:59:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Linear comps like the KX3 were developed more for entry teams. It directs the blast forward instead of to the side. Much better for the guy next to you.
But indoors, you still have walls that the sound is going to bounce off of.
I shot a 7.5" with an A2 under a canopy once. I didn't have my ears on and it hurt me. Damn near like a flash bang.
Two days later a filling came out. Coincidence? Maybe.

Dave N
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#11]
You do know that an 11.5 with a kx3 is the same lengtj as a 14.5
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:11:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I shot a 7.5" with an A2 under a canopy once. I didn't have my ears on and it hurt me. Damn near like a flash bang.
View Quote

That's your own dumb fault...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:41:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The "can" type flash suppressors do a very good job on directing the blast forward and (the one's I shot) a great job mitigating recoil.

But for flash they just push this rather large gas stream forward of the muzzle about three or four feet then it blooms in a nice ball of fire.

So in the dark you will have a rather enhanced muzzle flash 3-4 feet in front of the muzzle.

I prefer the KAW Valley linear and the Black River Tactical covert comp (.308) better for FS.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
A 7.5" with the KX3 loundener on it indoors.  
Even with double hearing protection it's uncomfortable to shoot with full power ammo.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I shoot 7.5" SBR with KX3 in 2/3gun matches, which includes shoothouses and such.  Anyone running a real brake will have it 10x worse, while the KX3 keeps most of it forward.
View Quote

+1

My 7.5 Kx3 is dam near pleasant. I shoot it near exclusively indoors. No gas to the face, no concussion. I really like it.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Dave N
View Quote

The rupture of faux titties is impressive.  The best my KAC Triple Tap has ever done was break some fluorescent lights above the shooting bay...
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't know whether it's because my 7.5" pistol is a piston upper (Adams) or because I've shot bullpups all my life, but I didn't find the KX3 to make much difference vs a standard A2 flash hider even....  Adds an unpleasant amount of weight and length for no discernible difference in sound or blast - neither of which I found unpleasant or problematic.  (Shot indoors in the last lane up against a wall no less...)

My shooting buddy agreed that the 16' AUG with the old school tulip-style flash hider is way worse...

YMMV and all that.
View Quote

10-4 on the bullpup blast. I had a stock AUG and that sucker was LOUD.  So.. my 12" and 10.5" pistols dont bother me much.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

10-4 on the bullpup blast. I had a stock AUG and that sucker was LOUD.  So.. my 12" and 10.5" pistols dont bother me much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV and all that.

Try an RFB with a YHM brake mount on it.  .308 through a big brake ~16" from your face.  Then I bought the SSS shield for when I was shooting without the suppressor  

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks all for the responses! I figure at the very least it'll do for keeping her comfortable (and therefore interested in shooting it) long enough for dad to pick up the suppressor he wanted.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 2:56:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. I was setting my son's rifle up to shoot between rounds and forgot to put them back on.

It a home invasion scenario you probably won't have ears on either. But then you most likely won't hear the shot either.
While on the E.R.T., I always kept a set of Surefire ear plugs with the carbine.
Dave N
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top