Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/12/2013 11:11:22 AM EDT
Quick question. I have a lower that I bought in around 2004 or so when I lived in NY, never assembled it. Can I legally use that lower for a pistol build now that I live in Pennsylvania?  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quick question. I have a lower that I bought in around 2004 or so when I lived in NY, never assembled it. Can I legally use that lower for a pistol build now that I live in Pennsylvania?  Thanks in advance
View Quote

As per federal law, you can make a pistol with it in any state. I don't claim to know PA firearm law.

- OS
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it never was assembled as a lower as a part of a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Only if first assembled as a rifle.

- OS
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#4]
What? You can only build a pistol from a virgin lower. If a lower is made into a rifle first, it can never be a pistol. If a lower is made into a pistol first, it can go back and forth as long as it never has a stock and a short barrel installed at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What? You can only build a pistol from a virgin lower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What? You can only build a pistol from a virgin lower.

You can build a pistol from a used lower too, assuming it was first built as pistol upon first configuration.

If a lower is made into a pistol first, it can go back and forth as long as it never has a stock and a short barrel installed at the same time.

Probably just the way you worded it, but starting with a pistol config,  it can still go back and forth with legal rifle even if you make an illegal SBR somewhere along that way -- that is a separate issue.

- OS
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top