Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2013 6:26:46 PM EDT
Trying to see if I can procure or fabricate a tube that will fit the horizontal length of the SB15 brace without too much excess length, or one without too little length.

All of the pictures I see of buffer tubes wearing this brace have a sizable gap between the forward-most part of the brace and the end plate.  

If you could, please measure the total horizontal length of your brace.  Here's a pic below explaining what I'm looking for:

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Trying to see if I can procure or fabricate a tube that will fit the horizontal length of the SB15 brace without too much excess length, or one without too little length.

All of the pictures I see of buffer tubes wearing this brace have a sizable gap between the forward-most part of the brace and the end plate.  

If you could, please measure the total horizontal length of your brace.  Here's a pic below explaining what I'm looking for:

http://i.imgur.com/FWVvS4b.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I2cQ19x.jpg

View Quote

Assume you're wanting to shoulder fire it like most everybody else. If so, it's already stupid short length of pull, why would you want it any shorter?

- OS
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 6:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Assume you're wanting to shoulder fire it like most everybody else. If so, it's already stupid short length of pull, why would you want it any shorter?

- OS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

- OS
More for aesthetics than wanting to shoulder-fire it, actually, so I don't care about LOP

Link Posted: 11/23/2013 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
More for aesthetics than wanting to shoulder-fire it, actually, so I don't care about LOP

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Don't understand "aesthetics" unless you just want to put it in the corner and look at it. :)

If you're not gonna shoulder fire it, then you're gonna put it on forearm. In which case if shorter it's gonna be more toward the skinny part of your wrist rather than stay back around meaty part of forearm.

At any rate there ain't nothing shorter than a standard pistol tube out there (which is 'bout same as carbine length) except for the super short ones that not many folks have had much luck with, and wouldn't hold the thing worth a hoot either.

- OS
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Answer: 6.5 inches exactly.

edit:  And most of the standard buffer tubes will be .25 inches short of that length.

2nd edit:  The length your asking for above is actually 6 and 7/8.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 8:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
it will fit over most pistol buffer tubes, most of the ones I've held in person are set back an inch or two for comfort
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

edit:  And most of the standard buffer tubes will be .25 inches short of that length.

View Quote
Thanks Alex.

Also I had no idea that one our own invented this thing; that's freaking awesome!

Link Posted: 11/24/2013 4:40:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks Alex.

Also I had no idea that one our own invented this thing; that's freaking awesome!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Alex.

I'm glad you like it!
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 7:52:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine doesn't have this gap.  Mine is a PWS Enhanced (Primary Weapons Systems) pistol tube.

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 6:51:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Got and extra milspec tube and a lathe?
Made my own.

no gap

Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Awesome! I was thinking about that the other day...Im sure its much easier with a lathe than with a dremel lol
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Awesome! I was thinking about that the other day...Im sure its much easier with a lathe than with a dremel lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Belt sander or DA with 40 grit will hog off a lot. I cut aluminum picture frames with a carbide sawblade, you can rip aluminum on a table saw. If you're not a shop guy I'd stick with the sander though. Be ready for the heat though.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 4:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]

I do have an extra milspec tube but no lathe.  I just asked a local machine shop how much they'd charge to turn it down, they said $85

Maybe I'll try my hand with a bench grinder and a file.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I do have an extra milspec tube but no lathe.  I just asked a local machine shop how much they'd charge to turn it down, they said $85

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Holy crap... $85? that could be done in 5-10 minutes in a three jaw chuck. Thinking  angle grinder and a belt sander finisher will do just fine.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 10:21:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Got it done.  Used a chop saw

Wrapped it in electrical tape and put the SB15 over it.  It was a bitch getting it on, it's solid.  Looks just like the one in telemarker's pic above.

10.5" upper coming in tomorrow
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:02:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got it done.  Used a chop saw

Wrapped it in electrical tape and put the SB15 over it.  It was a bitch getting it on, it's solid.  Looks just like the one in telemarker's pic above.

10.5" upper coming in tomorrow
View Quote

Mine was a bear getting it on, too, until I took a hair dryer and heated it up a little.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:01:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I have never seen one in person.......they are rubber, not plastic...correct?

How firm/or not firm(floppy) is the rubber?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Correct, they are rubber.

The whole assembly is beefy, very firm.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

For you guys that shoot them from the shoulder..........

If you feel comfortable shooting it from the shoulder off of the buffer tube, would you still buy one of these?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you feel comfortable shooting it from the shoulder off of the buffer tube, would you still buy one of these?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would...It makes me feel like the terminator!
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well in that case
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just had one delivered today and it is "tire" sidewall firm. Only the extreme thin end of the lower flaps are flexible when not belted. When belted they are as firm as the rest of the brace.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I just had one delivered today and it is "tire" sidewall firm. Only the extreme thin end of the lower flaps are flexible when not belted. When belted they are as firm as the rest of the brace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good description, thank you.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Finally got all the parts in, it is done.  

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#24]
something wrong with your safety?  

I took a milspec tube to a table grinder and it worked fine.  Forget that paying more for a pistol tube when you have spare extension tubes laying around.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
something wrong with your safety?  

I took a milspec tube to a table grinder and it worked fine.  Forget that paying more for a pistol tube when you have spare extension tubes laying around.
View Quote

It does look odd in that pic doesn't it?  I checked it just now, it seems the Blackhawk selector detent recesses have a good amount of clearance, but it doesn't appear to impair function or safety.

And I agree on your second point, though I would have gotten an RRA pistol tube for $30 if anyone had them in stock.  In any case, the Sb15 appears to be designed to snug up against the end plate judging from the way the mold "locks" into the oval-shaped recess of the end plate. An RRA pistol tube (or standard-length buffer tube) enables this.

The gap just looks sloppy to me, and though the LOP is wicked short, it's actually not unnatural to shoulder as long as you're squared up to the target, much like any pistol ar with the same length buffer tube I surmise.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top