Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2013 7:25:09 AM EDT
When a pistol upper is sold as a 10.5" is that measured from the bolt face with a dowel pin dropped in or in some other manner?

All the 10.5 pistol barrels I see on here appear to be kind of long

I ask because I was considering having a barrel cut down on my .22LR upper to add to a dedicated Pistol lower. If I ask for 10.5", how much will actually stick out past the barrel nut? Is there a "too short" length?

Blow me some crap if you must, but I may add a Spikes fake can and I do not want a 16" overall length barrel when done. The can I am looking at shrouds the barrel a few inches and I plan to factor that in. The 22 upper is a cheap Chiappa that I don't mind messing up. That said I don't want to completely destroy the upper or get in hot water by having cutting too much off.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:36:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Many people will say go for the 4-4.5" range so that bulk HV .22lr stays subsonic, in case you want to add a suppressor later.

On a standard 10.5" barrel, there is ~2.5" of barrel in front of the carbine gas port location, plus a muzzle device.

There is only a difference in external length if you go with a dedicated .22 barrel that has the integral collar, so the breech is actually further to the rear than on a standard AR barrel.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:44:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Stated a different way, the same length (yea, I know) .22 barrel is shorter by the difference in chamber length between a .22 and a 556 round.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Got it, many thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top