Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 11:52:26 PM EDT
You might be interested in a little email I sent off to the ATF requesting their position concerning angled forgrips on AR pistols since I was considering the purchase of one. Yes, I was dumb enough to actually email the ATF regarding controversial policy and was surprised to receive a timely response.
Disclaimers: I'm some random interwebs person with three whole posts here. I could have made all of this up. I didn't, but I have no way of proving this. I will, however, post my original send and the ATF response. From there, it's up to you.

To: [email protected]
To whom it may concern;

I will be purchasing an AR Pistol in the near future and have been studying the ATF's guidance concerning them. Most of these regulations are straight forward, though I would like- if possible - clarification concerning Angled Fore Grips with relation to (NFA), 27 C.F.R. § 479.11.

Will the installation of this Angled Fore Grip (AFG) make this firearm an AOW, thus requiring a ATF Form 1, “Application to Make and Register a Firearm.” and applicable tax?
The last determination of note (2010) appears to permit this action, though I would like to confirm its validity as of present day.
The pistol in question will be will have an overall length of 18" and barrel length of 8.25".

Thank you for your time,
[redacted]
View Quote

Response

To [My email]

For your information, ATF has determined that the addition of a forward vertical grip to a handgun would result in the making of a National Firearms Act (NFA) category firearm.
However, we have also found that an “Angled Fore-Grip (AFG) such as the Magpul Angled Fore-Grip is not a vertical forward grip.
Consequently, the addition of a “Magpul-type” AFG to a handgun does not result in the making of a firearm subject to NFA controls, and may lawfully be added to your pistol without changing its GCA classification.
We also caution that you consult with your state and local authorities to determine its lawfulness in those jurisdictions.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust the foregoing is helpful.

Firearms Technology Branch
View Quote

I'm also surprised it was so straight forward after sifting through some of the results I've seen. If this isn't news to you, you got me. I wasn't able to find much of a concise answer after my search on the topic.
Even discussions over the letter referenced above (link fixed) were full of dispute and worry that it wouldn't apply to anybody else but the addressee.

Maybe you'll find it useful, too.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Your linky no worky.

Page 3

Linky
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:11:52 AM EDT
[#2]
You can put a VFG when the OAL of the pistol is over 26", in which the classification of the gun is no longer a pistol - but a firearm.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Your linky no worky.

Page 3

Linky
View Quote

Somehow got an extra http in there :p. works now.
You correctly interpreted the intent, however. Thanks :D

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep a copy of the Tech Letter addressed to me in my AR's bag.  It covers everything I have done as well as my future plans.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#5]
See the standing thread on scanned letters from the BATFE at the beginning of this AR Pistol Section.  The thread is from iNeXile556 on this topic.  This is great thread to search for all your ATF questions.  If you have a question you can bet someone else had the same question.  This thread may save you from waiting for an ATF answer.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
See the standing thread on scanned letters from the BATFE at the beginning of this AR Pistol Section.  The thread is from iNeXile556 on this topic.  This is great thread to search for all your ATF questions.  If you have a question you can bet someone else had the same question.  This thread may save you from waiting for an ATF answer.
View Quote

DAMN YOU STICKIES! DAAAAMN YOU!
Surprised i didn't find that on my trawl through google. Probably keyword failure.

The turnaround time was actually pretty reasonable. 3-4 days by email, tops. But yeah, i didn't even get past the first page of that stickie and there was my answer. Probably doesn't hurt to get a personalized response anyway. Guess that means this dem dar thread is offical dun. :)
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top