Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2013 7:13:32 PM EDT
Hi. I am new to pistol building and welcome any advice I can get. I recently have developed a love for the AK. I  bought a Saiga and converted it. Now I am seriously thinking about an AR pistol in 7.62 x 39. Dont find much info know on these builds and read they are very problematic.

Are they problematic?

I dont see any manufactures that make pistol upper except Model 1. Never heard of them. Are they good quality?

Are they really that problematic that manufacturers dont want to even manufacture them?

Not much of a buffer weight expert but what buffer weight is needed for a pistol 7.62 x 39?

Any other thing I should know?

Much thanks in advanced.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I built an AR pistol in 7.62 x 39 using a 7.5" PWS piston upper that runs flawlessly.  In fact, it is surprising how soft it shoots.  They key is in the mags.  ASC is the only one making them now that I know of.  A barrel any longer doesn't make sense if you're going to keep it as a pistol, perhaps so if you plan on going the SBR route later on.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear. What buffer system are you using?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#3]
The first one is 7.62 and the second one is 5.56, you can tell which one has a little more kick.

The only issue I have is the red dot takes some beating.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I would also like to hear some specs on working x39 builds. I built a 10.3 inch .223 and plan on going for a 7.5 inch x39 for some fun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my Frankinstein parts list

Marks Armory 7" barrel
DPMS Sportical slickside upper
DPMS Kitty Cat free float assy
DPMS lower parts kit
DPMS carrier with Midway 7.62 bolt
MS enhance firing pin
Midway AR Stoner 30 round mags, load just 20 to break them in
Commercial buffer tube assy from ebay
Red/Green dot from Midway
A1 flash hider from Midway, like it really works
Low profile gas block and tube from Midway
Lower from local gun store

The only mods are I had to cut M4 ramps in the upper and after breaking the 7.62 extractor after 70 rounds, I now use a 5.56 extractor and it works great with 1000 rounds so far.
It's a blast blowing up softballs at 50 feet. Sometimes I get a light primer strike after 100 rounds or so and I just pick it up and reload it and then it goes bang. I'm thinking a stronger spring will take care of that.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:50:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice! I like it!
I have read that the bolt tends to break on AR15s calibered in 7.62 x 39 unless made of high quality and with extra meat (metal) on the lugs. LMT and ARP were super high quality bolts but are no longer available. Anything else that is currently available with equivalent quality? How many rounds do you have through your Midway 7.62 bolt? Some experience breakage right before the 1k round mark with standard 7.62 x 39 bolts. I really want to build a pistol but the bolt issue is a real concern for me since my pistol build will double as a range gun and SD/HD gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you Sir

It's still the same bolt I started with but with a 5.56 extractor now with over 1000 rounds through it and the bolt lugs look good, but who knows ?

I do have a spare Midway 7.62 bolt just in case but so far so good " knock on primer"
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top