Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2013 5:15:57 PM EDT
Hi All,

I'm working on a pistol build for a friend of a friend who's lost his right arm (OIF 2010 I believe).  I've shot with him before (and with other vets for that matter) and it seems it's much easier to fire the weapon canted at the 45 degree angle...it seems a more natural position if you only have use of one arm.  Can I get some feedback as to which back up sights work best in the 45 degree position and if those sights have been adapted using one of the many adapters out there, or if the sights you use came built to be used at 45 degrees? Today I tried using the magpul flip up sights with 45 degree adapters and cant get the gun to sight in at all.  It shoots about 3 feet high at 15 meters.

PS:  Sorry about the awful kitchen background!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:  It shoots about 3 feet high at 15 meters.
View Quote

It looks like your gas block rail is lower than your rear sight.  As far as I know, Magpul doesn't make a gasblock-version of their sight - that's the first thing to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Check for the 3 gun websites for 45 degree
offset bases.

Also, that Magpul front site assy will melt
if you shoot very many rounds. You will
need to work on something different for
that, as well.

FYI

John
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes it's got to be because the 45 degree adapter on the gas block and the incompatible sight.   Try putting both BUIS and the 45 degree adapters on the flatop.  That should work...  It will be a short sight radius but not any worse then many handguns.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes it's got to be because the 45 degree adapter on the gas block and the incompatible sight.   Try putting both BUIS and the 45 degree adapters on the flatop.  That should work...  It will be a short sight radius but not any worse then many handguns.
View Quote

Or,  you could mount a rail on top of that short hand guard level with the flat top, then work off of that. And yes, that front sight no good on that gas block due to both elevation and heat issues.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#5]
You might also try a mini red dot, on an angled mount.

Much easier to aim with on an AR pistol that open sights.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top