Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2012 7:24:03 AM EDT
Hi everyone,  
I’m relatively new here to the forum, but I have been developing with the Chief Prosthetis at local Veterans Hospital a Stabilizing Brace (SB15) for the ar15 pistol, and a few other pistols that are similar in format, that I think all of us here will appreciate.  I haven’t posted anything sooner because I’ve been waiting for the “Patent Pending Approval” from my patent lawyer and the phone call from the ATF giving me the verbal ok.  The ATF has finally given me the verbal ok over the phone and I am expecting the Approval letter shortly, which I will post once received.  I am a veteran and after 12 years of service and various deployments I have some mobility issues with my shooting hand and arm and the intent of the SB15 is to assist those with limited strength or mobility while shooting from the one-handed pistol precision stance or one handed supported stance.   I think my product also finally gives some extra aesthetic value to the pistol version of the AR15.  Attached are some pictures of the prototype that I sent to the ATF for their evaluation and approval.  The actual version will be in Black, Sand and Olive drab and wont have any of the defects you see on the original.  The first run should be available by March 1st and when they send me the official letter, I will include it in every box.

I'm also workign on setting up a Day at the Range, with some disabled vets, once I have some dates I will post them for those in the Florida region.  

It would be nice to get some feedback from you guys!

Thanks

Alex

Link Posted: 11/27/2012 7:40:53 AM EDT
[#1]
interesting concept , I wish you the best of luck in your new venture and thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#2]
some more photos...

Link Posted: 11/27/2012 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure you don't tell WWP that your item is for use on a firearm.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1390817_Wounded_Warrior_anti_second_amendment_____.html
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 7:49:34 AM EDT
[#4]
They already know about it and they were 100% on board.  We've already tested it with veterans, some missing an arm or hand.  I guess as long as it's something thats helping out a wounder warrior, they are ok with it.

But thanks!
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#5]
These are photos of the first protoype that used the straps externally.  One photo with the SB15 mounted and the other removed.  Which do you think looks better?

Link Posted: 11/27/2012 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback so far.  I just moved back to the states 8 months ago after 13 years abroad and dont have many people I can ask for feedback or thoughts.  The product really does assist in shooting from the one handed stance and it does alot for the looks of the gun.  Let me know if you have any other comments....even bad ones!

Thanks Again

Alex
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
you sir are determined to take gun fu to a whole nother level - good job
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!  I should have the first production run available by the 1st of March.  It will be 100% made in the USA with everytthing done locally where I live here in St. Petersburg Florida.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome!  Good on you for helping those with disabilities, and thank you for your service
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Great Concept!  At first I did not like the looks of it, but then I remember holding my GAU like that using the sling to tie the weapon to my right forearm while gaurding gates.  The only problem I have is figuring out how someone with only one arm will be able to disengage the brace or engage it to begin shooting.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 4:11:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Great Concept! At first I did not like the looks of it, but then I remember holding my GAU like that using the sling to tie the weapon to my right forearm while gaurding gates. The only problem I have is figuring out how someone with only one arm will be able to disengage the brace or engage it to begin shooting.

The GAU has either a 10.5 or 11 inche barrel if I remember correctly.  I was always so jealous of the Airforce guys carrying them.  But if you remove the stock from them (and the sear) they are considered a pistol, and as such, by definition, the Guru's at the ATF say it's intended to be fired with one hand.  I wish I had some prototypes to send around, but I just dont have the money for it.  I've been funding my project with all the money I saved up before I got out.  But I can assure you that with the SB15 you'd have no problem firing the GAU the way it was "intended" to be fired.

You'd be surprised how these guys compensate the loss of a limb, but many of them do need assistance before and after firing.  The "simple' task of loading a magazine become anything close to impossible for them...but...some of them find the most ingenious ways of getting around it!

Thanks again for your imput!
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Great Concept! At first I did not like the looks of it, but then I remember holding my GAU like that using the sling to tie the weapon to my right forearm while gaurding gates. The only problem I have is figuring out how someone with only one arm will be able to disengage the brace or engage it to begin shooting.

The GAU has either a 10.5 or 11 inche barrel if I remember correctly.  I was always so jealous of the Airforce guys carrying them. But if you remove the stock from them (and the sear) they are considered a pistol, and as such, by definition, the Guru's at the ATF say it's intended to be fired with one hand.  I wish I had some prototypes to send around, but I just dont have the money for it.  I've been funding my project with all the money I saved up before I got out.  But I can assure you that with the SB15 you'd have no problem firing the GAU the way it was "intended" to be fired.

You'd be surprised how these guys compensate the loss of a limb, but many of them do need assistance before and after firing.  The "simple' task of loading a magazine become anything close to impossible for them...but...some of them find the most ingenious ways of getting around it!

Um,...no. It is and always will be a machine gun unless it's demilled, then it's useless scrap.

But kudos on your project, looks good.

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Sweet job!

Put me down for one
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Where in FL?
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm in St. Petersburg.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The GAU has either a 10.5 or 11 inche barrel if I remember correctly.  I was always so jealous of the Airforce guys carrying them.  But if you remove the stock from them (and the sear) they are considered a pistol, and as such, by definition, the Guru's at the ATF say it's intended to be fired with one hand.  I wish I had some prototypes to send around, but I just dont have the money for it.  I've been funding my project with all the money I saved up before I got out.  But I can assure you that with the SB15 you'd have no problem firing the GAU the way it was "intended" to be fired.

When I finish my pistol project, I will find a way to make somrthing similar to try out the idea.  If I like it I might buy one of yours.  Again this is a neat concept and I appreciate your work with wounded veterans on and off the range.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 4:58:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow...I truly didnt expect this kind of publicity, I just thought it was a good idea, looked good and helped out some people who were less fortunate.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 5:07:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Congrats, Its an awesome idea.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#20]
TTAG wrote this up too.  Not sure I like all of the comments...but I guess I should get used to people telling me it's a stupid idea!  

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/11/robert-farago/sb15-ar-15-pistol-forearm-stabilizing-brace/
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
TTAG wrote this up too.  Not sure I like all of the comments...but I guess I should get used to people telling me it's a stupid idea!  

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/11/robert-farago/sb15-ar-15-pistol-forearm-stabilizing-brace/

get used to it brother, there is no shortage of haters out there. Keep at it, i love the idea
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Due to popular Demand I have pushed the first production run up to the middle of January.  Hopefully the guys I'm working with will be able to pull this off...I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks Again!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#23]
These guys are taking a poll....I'm curious who here thinks California will block this or not.  Considering it's developed and made for those with limited mobility I doubt it, but maybe someone from Cali will beg to differ?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=651839
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 4:09:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 4:56:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Will these be available for the rifle length buffer tubes? I have loong arms.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:01:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm developing one that covers the A2 buffer tube for the pistols with longer barrels.  The longer the barrel, the further aft you need to ideally go to compensate for the forward weight.  I will post photos as soon as they come out.  Just remember that the photos will represent prototypes and not the actual final product.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:06:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Awesome idea.  I don't have an AR pistol but this looks like a great product.  Thanks for you service and I wish you much success.
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:26:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Is a pretty idea, any thought of ditching the straps and possibly using J-hooks that simply wrap most of the forearm and allow easy on, easy off?
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I have and actually have a prototype like that, but I need to send these "new" variants for approval.  The product was approved because of intent and partly because (and this is just me reasoning it) the rubber does not have support structure such as plastic.  Thanks for your input..it's much appreciated!!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:38:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have and actually have a prototype like that, but I need to send these "new" variants for approval.  The product was approved because of intent and partly because (and this is just me reasoning it) the rubber does not have support structure such as plastic.  Thanks for your input..it's much appreciated!!!

Make sure you get any improvements added to your patent as well.

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#31]
The Patent has a wide scope and covers all of the improvements we've discussed here.  The patent process is also a long and COSTLY one!!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2012 5:44:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The Patent has a wide scope and covers all of the improvements we've discussed here.  The patent process is also a long and COSTLY one!!!

Trust me I know.

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#33]
I've already posted this, but I keep getting emails to see it, so here it is again.

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 6:22:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2012 5:40:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey Alex cool Idea do you have a Website i can subscribe to so i can be kept up to date on when the product releases.  Will you be doing braces for other guns?   I have a Kriss Vector Pistol that this product would be great for.
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#36]
What sort of pricing are you planning? When / where can we pre-order these?
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I am working with a manufacturer presently.  If all goes well by the middle to end of January I should have the first production run finished and ready. The photos you see here only represent the first prototype and I will be posting the new prototype on the website soon enough...hopefully by the end of the week beginning of next week.  Price is a touchy subject...but I do want to keep it under 90 bucks if possible....the only problem is that startup costs..between patent fees and tooling, costs can run upwards of 70k.  If you want updates please go through my website and give me your email address.

Thanks again!

Alex
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:35:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I am working with a manufacturer presently.  If all goes well by the middle to end of January I should have the first production run finished and ready. The photos you see here only represent the first prototype and I will be posting the new prototype on the website soon enough...hopefully by the end of the week beginning of next week.  Price is a touchy subject...but I do want to keep it under 90 bucks if possible....the only problem is that startup costs..between patent fees and tooling, costs can run upwards of 70k.  If you want updates please go through my website and give me your email address.

Thanks again!

Alex

I did not see a link to your website... care to share?
Link Posted: 12/18/2012 5:45:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I dont want to be accused of shilling...I've sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#40]
This looks like a really new and exciting piece of kit - somewhere in the ballpark of "now why didn't i thunk of this one myself......" - or did but never had the balls to push through.

Going to follow this closely, can't wait to put my hands on it and see what it does!
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 6:08:58 AM EDT
[#41]
The biggest issue is never so much the idea, but funding the idea once you've thought of it!
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#42]
This looks like it could be an awesome add-on to a pistol.....very interested in trying it out once production starts. Good Luck!
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top